Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does bad grammar and spelling annoy you? Why or why not?

Lato

129 users have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar/ and spelling annoy you?

• Yes
    • No

Usually, when people don't know how to spell a word, I am not too fussed. But when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" is just unbelievable. When I am texting my 18 year old brother, I think I am talking to a 5 year old who doesn't even know how to communicate properly!

I don't mind text speak when I'm talking to my friend, but when it's on a forum or social networking then I have no idea what people are saying.

Also this:

1395254402302462.jpg

I thought it was pretty funny :P

Edited by Lato
  • Brohoof 19

I don't really mind so much because i'm just learning english and I make mistakes, but I agree that not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" is unbelievable. In spanish (my native language) I get angry because of some usual but stupid mistakes, like not knowing the difference between "a ver" and "haber", which have a totally different meaning.

• Brohoof 2

Depends. I recognise a lot of people on the Internet did not have English as their first language (and even if you did its still filled with exceptions, rules, and more rules). So I understand getting a word spelled wrong. I usually don't even correct it because it really does take away from the discussion. Although if I'm asked for help, I do give it. 

If they are British, American, Canadian, Australian, etc. then I simply assume they're quite young in years, joking/trolling, or simply don't know, and don't really think it's worth either of our time to correct it. 

On the other hand grammar nazis extremely annoy me because most of them do not take into account the first thing I said, and many of them are very condescending about it, almost as if they have some special "privilege" for being "masters" of the 'English' language. This is, of course, obviously false. Example: Wow you used the wrong their* are you stupid? Go back to school because this one mistake clearly shows your lack of education in every field ever.

LST: Language is not something to brag about or show off. It's quite literally pointless. You might have better skills than someone in that field but they might be able to recite 20 facts about every element on the Periodic table. You might be better at English but they could rewrite the Bible in Spanish in a few hours. 

Personally, if I can understand what's being said, I leave it at that. Only if they ask me for help (language learners, close friends, etc) do I do it. 

• Brohoof 4

It really doesn't at all. In my posts I try to keep my standards high. At the very least I make sure everything is spelled properly. However, my grammar won't always be perfect. Nevertheless, I am not much bothered by others making spelling and grammar errors in their posts. Sometimes I wonder why they don't set themselves to higher standards, but I'm really not bothered. This is the internet, not a college research paper.

Truth be told, I am much more peeved by others making a big deal about it. It's just really stupid and obnoxious when I see a forum debate and someone has to go out of their way to point out a grammar/spelling error in someone else's post. I don't care whether their entire post is comprised of that nitpicking or if it's just a sentence at the beginning - it's irrelevant and very obnoxious. Much more obnoxious than the spelling/grammar error ever was to begin with.

The internet is a tool for everyone who can gain access to it. Not everyone can be held to the same standards. Even I, who had a proper education, had some issues with a couple of grammatical rules until a couple of years ago (its vs. it's). However, does that mean that because I didn't know exactly which to use at which time, what I was communicating was void? Please. Some people really need to get over themselves. The message being communicated is much bigger than the grammar/spelling. And don't tell me "But what if I can't read it?", because it takes a WHOLE LOT before a post becomes unreadable to me. It's not hard.

• Brohoof 3

The worst example, IMO, was when someone at a Kingdom Hearts forum kept bashing my headcanon(s) with s***ty spelling, sentence structure, and punctuation.

To this day, I still can't figure out whether they were trolling or actually serious.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

at the time where technology is making everything simplified 

its obvious that the majority doesn't care about grammar 

cell phone tables laptops ETC all have auto correct 

in which they correct spelling and grammar as well

plus people text with no grammer 

so yeah L8tr 

• Brohoof 1

If it isn't the person's first language, or the person has some sort of disability (or something along those lines), I can understand. It can't be helped. The odd spelling mistake isn't too big of a deal to me either.

Now I'm not gonna sit here and point out every little mistake to their face (or anyone's face for that matter), but my goodness, it really bothers me when a person, who I know full well has a decent grasp on the English language, can't be bothered to even try to use proper grammar. :maud:

• Brohoof 3

If it's done for the sake of playfulness or a few accidental mistakes, then I don't mind. If it is several sentences without any grammar or punctuation then I get annoyed.

The worst example has to be when someone kept lashing out at me for voicing my negative opinion of Trash Sentry.

As an editor, I'd have to answer with one big yes. One or two mistakes are fine, I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but when your post looks like it was written by smashing your hands against the keyboard (and believe me when I say I have seen more than my fair share of posts that fit that description) then I get a little bit peeved. Especially in regards to some of the more common mistakes like "you're" and "your" and "lose" and "loose". 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

In 100% honesty it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If i can understand what the person meant then I don't have a problem with it myself. Sometimes im a little out of it and dont type so well either and without punctuation but i dont think it bothers anypony too much.

And that picture LMAO

• Brohoof 2

It does bother me, yes.

Seeing a few mistakes is understandable, but there is no reason why you should have the spelling ability of a two year old.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on what it is for me. I don't mind if someone occasionally misspells a word or two unintentionally, or even intentionally for comedic effect or if it's a meme, but it's super annoying to try and decipher what someone is saying if they have horrendous grammar, and fail to grasp the use of a spellchecker!

So yeah... I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi!

Edited by Hypn0ticD
  • Brohoof 1

Hehe. I use to be extremely annoyed whenever somebody slipped up their grammar, or their spelling. It's the reason why people always came to me in school to double check their essays. In fact, I always use complete sentences in my texts. (With correct grammar, of course!)

But... sumtimez idk i dunt rrly cair 4 mah spellin or grammar. liek wen im talkin to mah friends jokingly.

• Brohoof 1