Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does bad grammar and spelling annoy you? Why or why not?

Lato

129 users have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar/ and spelling annoy you?

• Yes
    • No

Yes.

CAPS LOCK MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE YELLING and using it to denote something important is unnecessary and makes it look like you're yelling out that.

"u" and "r" are not words, they're letters.

There's a huge difference between your and you're or their, there and they're.

You do not put a space before ? or ! like you do in French.

Why do people use "a" in so many places they didn't two years ago now? Like "lose a performance" instead of "lose some performance" or just simply "lose performance."

Among other things.

If you're gonna learn a language, at least put effort into respecting its grammatical and spelling rules .-.

• Brohoof 1

As a writer and internet addict, I'm kinda torn on this one.

Yes, it does bother me, but mostly in a more serious context. Things like chatspeak (u for you, r for are, etc) and common internet acronyms (especially lol, because no one who types it is actually "laughing out loud") are rather irritating to me, UNLESS used ironically. I've been known to use the word lol in verbal conversation or intentional poor grammar (can I haz) for humor, but never in a serious tone.

Often times I will ask people who use chatspeak to type properly or, depending on the setting, ignore them entirely.

The other thing that really irritates me is when I'm reading a professional blog/internet publication and there are spelling and grammar errors in some article that someone was paid for. REALLY? You have PAID editors and PAID writers/bloggers/journalists and errors STILL come out the other side?

Edited by Shimmer Down

I might end up ranting...

Yes, in some cases, it does. (However, my grammar isn't the best either.) But when people don't capitalize "I" as in, me, myself, and I, then I think "Is it really too much trouble to capitalize the 'I'?" Well, yes, yes it is. Or as you said, the difference between your, you're and when people spell a lot like "alot" that isn't a word... Also, here's another issue that annoys me (but I do too make the mistake) affect and effect. Spoilers, they're different. Affect is a verb and effect is a noun. There's also the difference between 'theres' and 'there's'. 'There's' is a compound word meaning there is and theres isn't. Theres is NOT a word; it's just a lazy manner of typing that ruins the human race. (Well, not really, but... It just annoys me.) 

Now, let's talk about into versus in to. But another spoiler, I some times have to look into my notes and check this one... Ahem, back to it. Into is an indicator for movement where as in to is used because the separate words "in" and "to" are often used. Oh, my favorite one is up next... Using "an" it is not some thing you pit in there wherever you feel like it; it has it's place. You put the word 'an' if it has a vowel sound. However, I see this mostly with smaller children. (Basically the Youtube comment section.)

So, I'm nearly done ranting and I have a couple more things to say... Don't Capitalize Every Single Word If It's Not A Title (Yes, that was done on purpose.) Now for Punctuation. Let's start off with apostrophes first, here's an article done by the Oatmeal. You read that? Good. If you didn't... Go read it <3. 

No need to worry, I am now done ranting about this topic. 

TL;DR Yes, some times/often it does.

P.S Kudos to you if you actually read this whole thing.

Eh, depends.

If a person has bad spelling or grammar, but I can at least make out what he's trying to say, I'm alright with it.

But if I can't understand a WORD a person says, it drives me insane.

Spelling isn't too much of an issue with me because it would be hypocritical of me to do so since I don't have the best spelling. And when its those who have dyslexia, it's understandable.
But, when there are people who are capable of using correct grammar and are able to spell simple words correctly, choosing not to due to laziness.. Nothing agitates me more.

To be perfectly honest here, it does get on my nerves only a little when people use incorrect grammar. I'm not perfect myself, in fact I tend to make a lot of spelling mistakes and such. But I try to look past it most times as it's about the content of the message not necessarily the way it's presented (of course this helps greatly too!).

Generally regarding bad grammar, mostly that talk of people shortening their words to the point when you cannot even begin to fathom what they're even trying to say is what gets me in the end. if you've seen Jacksfilms' "Your Grammar Sucks" and the sketchy side of Youtube then you'll definitely know what I'm talking about here. It's so bad that you actually CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO READ IT..  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

It annoys me so much when people can't get their grammar right. Even more so when I'm the one who fucks up. I rage over these things, it's my OCD. When I see people post and they don't spell correctly I just want to edit it correctly and/or slap them in the face. Yes it is that serious for me. :eww:   

Edited by NoodleBrony

Bad spelling and grammar typically implies a lack of effort/caring/ability. Usually a lack of caring. I proofread most of my posts before posting them, and if there are any hidden errors, I fix any I see afterwards using the edit button.

Every time I see someone write "Could of", my respect for them plummets into the negatives.

• 10 months later...

As much as I use proper grammar, I don't mind people using bad grammar. However, I do find it strange though. Why won't people put as much effort into their posts as possible to be easily understood? I'm talking about the people on the Roblox Forums, BTW.

I hate it, I'm sorry, I just hate it XD

If it's a typo, then whatever, but I'm pretty sure we've all been taught to read and write XD

I guess it's just cuz I'm a perfectionist at heart :P

Edit: just wanna say, if you physically can't help it like if it's a mental thing or something, that's OK. Just thought I may have sounded a little bad in this post lol XD

Edited by LittleMac

No, definitely not. I myself am not an English speaker but I've taught myself through the internet and through school, of course.

However, I believe that most people that aren't good with grammar can't help it. Not all people are able to write as properly and well as others and it's not really their fault either. I won't judge anyone as long as I understand what they're trying to tell me. If I do not understand them, I'll try to figure out other ways. It doesn't bother me at all.

That picture was funny though...  :scoots:

I don't mind it too much when I see spelling and grammar errors in informal text, such as chat messages and, well, texting. Heck, I make mistakes too, especially if I'm typing fast! However, I still do find it irritating to see excessive amounts of spelling and grammar mistakes in formal written works.

Now, one thing I absolutely cannot stand in any situation is if someone "txted lyk dis", unless they were doing it to be funny.

Yes, it annoys me. I can understand if you're young, but if you're 15+ and spell worse than my 7 year old cousin, there's a problem. How are you ever going to get a job like that? C'mon. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm only annoyed by the "internet language" with the shortcuts people use to chat to me. What I mean is the quote below

how r u 2day? what r u goin 2 do l8r this 2sday?

^ Something like that or close to it, and not to mention wall of texts and sentences that merges with no periods. Maybe it isn't so much of bad grammar on last parts but still I get annoyed trying to understand what being said.

This is the internet though so I expect everyone to type how they want to but I only going to feel secretly annoyed if I'm being chat that way with the internet shortcut language.

• Brohoof 1

I admit I'm one of those people who cringes when someone uses the wrong they're/your, says "amount" instead of "number" (as in "an amount of ponies"), or *shivers* doesn't even bother to punctuate. Honestly, the comments section of a YouTube video is sometimes bad enough to make me facepalm. But in an informal situation I don't call people out on it. Too busy enjoying myself with whomever I'm talking to.

• Brohoof 1