Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does bad grammar and spelling annoy you? Why or why not?

Lato

129 users have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar/ and spelling annoy you?

• Yes
    • No

I'm kind of in the middle for this.  In the case of a report, announcement, book, or so on, I believe that perfect grammar is absolutely necessary.  However, in more casual, everyday conversations, while large mistakes that can make the sentence confusing still annoy me, little things don't at all.  For example, when somebody uses "that" instead of "which," or ends the sentence with a preposition, I don't mind the least bit.  Keep in mind that if hundreds of years ago everybody used perfect grammar, we'd still be speaking Old English.

Bad grammar and spelling don't really annoy me, as I sometimes dun goof myself, but if people don't use capital letters, or even worse, inconsistent capital letters, then I get reaaaaally annoyed. Bad spelling can be excused, as it's difficult. Same with grammar. But simply not using a capital letter at the start of the sentence, and sometimes using it with names is just sloppy. Hasted. Lazy. Unforgivable. Etc.

No. Because I'm not a grammar Nazi. And as long as I understand what the person is saying, I don't get worked up over a few grammar/spelling mistakes.  

• Brohoof 1

For me, it all depends on the person. If they're young and still learning, they won't know every rule of grammar and mistakes are acceptable.

If they're older and have been taught how to use proper grammar, they should use it. There's no excuse to avoid using proper grammar if you know it. However, learning disabilities exist. I have a close friend who has one, and is a year behind in school. He doesn't always use proper grammar, mainly because it's not easy for him. In this case, it's understandable why someone wouldn't use proper grammar.

I do feel like using grammar correctly is important, but pointing out another person's mistakes online isn't always the best thing to do. You don't know them, after all. Maybe they haven't had the opportunity to learn it yet. Maybe they have a learning disability.

But if someone knows proper grammar, they should always use it.

Yes, it does. Even if my own isn't the best. But when I see an 18 or more year old native to English language person who cannot type for crap or doesn't even try then I get annoyed... Is it really that hard to type capital letters at least? I guess I know from experience it is when you're on mobile, but when someone is on PC or a laptop and can't do it then it is VERY annoying.

• Brohoof 1

It used to, but I don't really care anymore because it's not a such a big deal. As long as whatever I'm reading is legible, I'm fine with it. 

My spoke the English no good very. Me sorry is 4 speling and gramar which bad is. Me no can help me English no 1st langwage. Me has understanding of other with same sane language problem as the me. Then, my answer is no, I bother no no.

Nah, my English ain't that bad. But yeah, I'm bothered by bad English. Understanding that others don't have English as their first language doesn't help my case.

Well, a couple typos is acceptable. I have them. You (probably) have them. It happens. And people might have some other language as a first language; sometimes their grammar sounds like a toddler's grammar to us.

BUT if you have English as your first language, it wasn't between 11 PM and 7 AM (or whenever you have your coffee), and you consistently make more errors than any respectable person should, that annoys me. It aggravates, irritates, irks, and frustrates me.

No, for me if you can understand what person is saying, grammar doesn't matter. 

But it is probably because English isn't my native language and I make mistakes with it also.

(people who speak/write bad Finnish (my first/native language) doesn't bother me neither)

Yes! Bad grammar annoys me to no end. I can understand if English is not someone's first language, but if you are a native English speaker and you use words like "thx, plz, u, r, w8..." then stop. I know it is text lingo, but still.. Also, people need to learn the differences between words like "your" and  "you're" and "two", "too" and "to". Ugh. 

• 4 years later...

I'm pretty sure some (mainly the English professors)  are annoyed with my bad grammars. :maud:

It only bothers me when people it shorten their words so much. I can't stand it when people say "r", "u", "ur", "y", etc. I don't have the best grammar when I'm talking in pm but I definitely don't say "r", "u", etc. I sometimes get bothered if someone says "your" instead of "you're."

• Brohoof 1

Yes, because mostly it is done to annoy. People know how to grammar, but they are trolls when they write with lower case and three letter words. :baconmane:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

How bout when written in an accent? Like applejack fur example how she be talkin cowgirl like n all'em words mergin and some words havem missin letters? Like what i just did right here.

Edited by Kujamih

• 1 month later...

No, often I intentionally write that way just to express the tone of the words or cuz im lazy. See lol. If it was a proper essay or article that is different however.

• 3 years later...

No. If anything I'm annoyed by the people who go out of their way to correct it. For one thing auto correct will change things without me noticing. I also have nails. Which makes using a touch screen a lot more difficult.