Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What are your guilty pleasure movies?

Alex Z

Robocop.

Now some of you might raise your eyebrow at this because that movie is considered very good. Thing is, I have a very different definition of what defines a "guilty pleasure" than most. After all, many would call this show absolute crap but we obviously find great meaning and enjoyment in it. So from their perspective, it is a guilty pleasure even though we would say it's not.

The usual definition is "something you know is bad but you enjoy it despite it's glaring flaws." Thing is for me, irony is anathema. If I enjoy something, it's because I genuinely think it's good. For instance most people would call the Transformer movies a guilty pleasure if they enjoy them, but I'm sincere in that I think they are good movies. Not the best, but they're up there in terms of my favorite adaptations of the franchise. I certainly like them better than the G1 cartoon. (Save for the movie, that's absolute gold.)

Now Robocop, on the other hand is a very good movie, one of the best, however it's message is in direct opposition to everything I stand for. It demonizes the private sector, has advanced A.I. be either lethally shoddy, useless, or a tool of evil, and depicts the struggle of man vs. machine as opposed to the transhuman union of such.

Judge Dredd and Dredd both. The former not for the reasons you think but both for similar reasons to the above. Both movies depict the centralized public and government authorities as being ultimately in the right and liberty and the individual as only leading to chaos.

Even with all that though, I can't help but root for both Murphy and Dredd. So for that reason, those movies are my guilty pleasures.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

The Master of Disguise, Alone In The Dark, Thats My Boy, A Million Ways To Die In The West, Son of The Mask, Lion King 2, Lady & The Tramp 2, Little Mermaid 2 and 3, Bubble Boy, and several other Disney sequels and prequels. 

I don't tell my friends I like the Equestria Girls movies.  There's this anime I like, "Arashi no Yoru ni," it was very heart warming.  I don't let my friends know I liked something like this.

Sharknado is my biggest. After that there's:

1. Flash Gordon (1980)

2. The Room (2003)

3. Highlander 2 (1991)

4. Godzilla (1998)

5. Dracula 2000

Flash Gordon has the coolest and best soundtrack of any bad movie ever made! I love it!

Now just for fun, compare the Flash Gordon theme to the theme for the anime "Big O"

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I have another guilty pleasure movie and my biggest one. It's the 15th Pokémon movie Kyurem vs. the Swords of Justice. You know Pokémon movies get average reviews but the 15th one in particular is actually really good, emotional, and inspirational, and it shows more focus on the legendary Pokémon rather than Ash. I also gained an emotional bond towards Keldeo. I think it's an underrated film, while it does have some cliches and the fight scene while good isn't as good as Avengers movies, this was one of the most emotional and inspirational films I've ever seen. It doesn't have one of the best stories ever but it's not too confusing and easy to understand. It's also my favorite Pokémon movie and even has friendship themes to it.

I even made an Admirable Animation page of it

http://thejleeteam.deviantart.com/art/Admirabe-Animations-Kyurem-vs-the-Sword-of-Justice-521652169

admirabe_animations_kyurem_vs_the_sword_

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

• 1 year later...

Probably Twister (1996).

Sure, the acting and plot is dumb, but at the same time, I'm interested in tornadoes, and that with the effects they used made me more interested in the movie then I was supposed to :P

• 4 weeks later...

i feel a little guilty about "Waterboys", the 2001 movie about a male synchronized swimming team.  

It is uber wacky, and I love it.  

(edited)

Well, I have a few.

Zulu

Robocop (The original)

The Big Lebowski

Sharpe's Challenge and Sharpe's Company (TV movies, but movies nonetheless)

Howl's Moving Castle

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Dragnet

Dirty Harry

Gran Torino

You Only Live Twice

A View to a Kill

Great films, the lot of them.

Edited by ForthEorl

Xanadu: Absolutely horrible but it fits a certain mood perfectly.

Zombieland: I don't like zombie stuff but this one is funny and strangely addictive.

Kick Ass: What a bunch of crap! Fun, amusing, entertaining crap!

Pacific Rim: Simple and fun. Don't ask me why.

Battleship: Simpler yet, and still somehow fun.

Surf's Up: Just put your brain on hold and enjoy the pretty colors. 

(edited)

Well, I have a few.

Zulu

Robocop (The original)

The Big Lebowski

Sharpe's Challenge and Sharpe's Company (TV movies, but movies nonetheless)

Howl's Moving Castle

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Dragnet

Dirty Harry

Gran Torino

You Only Live Twice

A View to a Kill

Great films, the lot of them.

You are setting the bar extremely low for guilt.  who's going to look down on your or think you are weird for liking these classic films?

Edited by weesh

The only probable one I can think is Land Before Time 2. I love the first 3 LBT movies, but I acknowledge that the ones after the first one are not even 1% close in that film's quality. I have always loved the 2nd film though, I personally enjoyed it more than the first, but that's only because the first one is really sad. XD

• Brohoof 1

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, a.k.a the second live action Scooby-Doo movie. Yes, it's cheesy, a good bit of the plot doesn't make sense at times, Scooby and Shaggy are depicted as dumber than normal... and yet I still enjoy watching it every once in a blue moon.  

I'm going to say 'the first 13 Pokemon movies'. Why only the first 13? Simply because I've never seen the others. I'm probably going to give the Genesect movie a go simply because it has a Mewtwo in it, although not the Mewtwo I grew up with.

Guilty pleasure? Ummm "Bridget Jones's diary" and "The long kiss goodnight" simply because I love the music. Cause ya know guys ain't supposed to like that lovey dovey, mushie, wushie stuff. Don't know, don't care. I will sob to whatever I please thank you.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I've got plenty:

- The Room

- Babes in Toyland (the 1961 Disney movie)

- Pete's Dragon (the original)

- Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

- Poke'mon: The First Movie

- Poke'mon 2000

- Cobra

- Atlantis: The Lost Empire

- American Ultra

- The Giant Claw

- Super Mario Bros

- Krampus