Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Physical Attractiveness or Personality?

Vox

What do you value in a person more when in a serious relationship? Their physical appearance or their personality and behavior? Of course that means if you value personality over appearance you don't need to reject the latter. For me, i look for desired personal similarities, intelligence, and similar interests more than physical attractiveness, that being said, it's always a plus if i come across someone who inhibits both positive traits  :smug:

• Brohoof 3

It doesn't matter to me how pretty a girl is. If she opens her mouth and can't act like a sensible person, she's immediately off the list of potential girlfriends.

Lifestyle choices, philosophical beliefs, and personality are more important than intellect. Intellect is more important than interests. Interests are more important than looks. Nothing is less important than looks.

• Brohoof 3

Of course everyone is going to say personality, I would much rather be with a nice not-the-best looking girl then some bitch who just happens to be really attractive.

Physical attractiveness makes a good first impression though and that's the truth.

• Brohoof 14

Personality. Having physical attractiveness is a desirable parameter too, of course, but having the hottest girl in the world means nothing if i can't love her. If i can't speak with someone who can match (or even surpass!) my intellectual capacity, or share similar thoughts with, or generally be proud to know i'm in a relationship with this person, what is there left?

A relationship without any passion beyond physical lust is bound to fail.

• Brohoof 4

Physical attraction wouldn't be my number one priority even in a friends with benefits situation, what is the point in being involved with someone who is attractive if you can't even stand them? 

• Brohoof 1

Personality of course. I don't think anyone would say just physical attractiveness :P. In a relationship, I look for someone who cares about me :)

If I like someone's personality I'll usually start to see them as more physically attractive for some reason :huh:

• Brohoof 3

Physical attraction is usually what gets people interested in the first place, but I don't think most relationships survive if one hates the other's personality. So, I'd say personality is more important.

• Brohoof 2

A little of both.

I mean I wouldn't wanna date someone who I find unattractive, but is sweet. And I wouldn't wanna date someone who's super hot, but a mega jerk.

I like a balance. I look at someone's physical appearance first, and then pick apart their personality.

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah, honestly everyone's gonna say personality. I say we're all generally around that age where we can prefer appreciating our significant others' conciousness and reality. 

It helps like others have said if they're nice to take a gander and look at but before I even think about wanting to take a chance to be in a romantic relationship I gotta check if our personalities and mindset click. It's really hard for me to like people that are vastly different than I am with all types of relationships, not just romance. Oh, and they have to treat others in my life already that I care about with respect and kindness which is something my friends overlooked in their relationships.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 2

We all know that everyone is going to say personality, regardless of whether or not they actually mean it.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

Everyone always says it's about personality, but every time I've been rejected, it's been because of superficial things... or so I've been told.

"I only love someone for their personality... and you have the greatest personality of anyone I've ever met, but I'd rather die than be with you... no offense or anything."

Yeah, something's up with that.

Let me rephrase, I will have a crush on someone because of their looks, but if I was going for a girlfriend, it would mostly likely be  friend that I slowly developed deeper feelings for due to personality, and would most likely not even bother with a random crush.

Edited by Quantum Pulsar

if He's smart and likes anime and manga similar or the same as mine, then he's suddenly the sexiest man on the planet.

I'm too picky about hobbies to be picky about appearances that never really bothered me.

• Brohoof 1

VinylShadow's and my bond/crush formed purely through our minds. After we fell in love with started sharing more of our physical traits with each other such as describing things we felt are flaws about our appearances, and we both accepted each other because we wouldn't trade the bond we have for anything~

What do you value in a person more when in a serious relationship? Their physical appearance or their personality and behavior? Of course that means if you value personality over appearance you don't need to reject the latter. For me, i look for desired personal similarities, intelligence, and similar interests more than physical attractiveness, that being said, it's always a plus if i come across someone who inhibits both positive traits  :smug:

personality.

Dunno why you would ask here, but whatever...

Of course everyone is going to say personality, I would much rather be with a nice not-the-best looking girl then some bitch who just happens to be really attractive.

Physical attractiveness makes a good first impression though and that's the truth.

I find myself agreeing with Hovershy on here a lot haha.

Physical attractiveness does make a first impression whether we like it to or not. Whether it's a jaw-dropping first impression, one that goes by the wayside, or one that might even be found slightly repulsive, it's usually the first sense we get of people.

But all that pretty much goes out the window once you get to know a person. I've known shitty hot people and I've got good friends that might not value hygiene as much as I do.

tl;dr personality > appearance, even if appearance is what you first notice about somebody.

• Brohoof 1