Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Physical Attractiveness or Personality?

Vox

I think this question is entirely irrelevant under these circumstances; Few people are shallow enough to admit they prefer looks over personality, but people are what they are, which is why beauty is so highly sought after and has been for thousands of years. That said, I've never been driven after other people like that, so couldn't say either way.

• Brohoof 1

Blah blah blah personality.

What my degree of physical attractiveness is, is cleanliness. If you're the ideal partner for me but you have rank BO, don't clean up after yourself and/or your car is a mess with trash. I'm sorry, even if you meet my personality criteria, that is a huge unattractive deal breaker.

Only few honest opinions here. Guys, let's be sincere! Physical attractiveness is the only thing that matters! Who cares for personality in these days?

But saying the truth, I think I can't choose which one is more important. I don't mean sex or anything like that (I really don't), but those two things influence each other. If you meet a beautiful person you'll think that his/her personality is better than it truly is. On the other side, if you happen to find someone with awesome personality, your opinion about his/her looks will change, even though that person still will look the same. That delusion is mechanism of human nature and it helps us find a perfect partner/friend/pony/whatever-else-you-just-thought-about.

That being said, I'll remain a tragic romantic to the end of my days, when I'll finally escape on wings of poetry from this gray reality. For now I'll live without harming anyone with my platonic love. Blast, I have to end before I'll get even stranger mood. Meh, Guess I'm just sleepy.

• Brohoof 1

Well, with my companion I don't see him often since he lives in a different state. So I rely on his personality to keep me happy!

Personality.

But I must admit, I would most likely not go out with somebody who I do not think is at least little bit attractive.  It's not vanity or anything, it's just that I can't be attracted to something that I don't find attractive.

• Brohoof 1

Depends. While personality, overall, is certainly the greatest factor, it's not the only one. If it's just a fling we're looking at, then I'd take the prettiest girl even if it means I need to change my phone number 24 hours later. Just tell her earplugs are your kink when she starts talking about her extensive cat collection and assorted Ho Chi Minh memorabilia.

For anything more long term, here's where I start to favor brains over that other "B" word. I've had my share of crushes, and always on women who I have talked to, and enjoyed on a personal level. But while these women aren't supermodels, they are still attractive, and I do feel that there's some kind of bare minimum for beauty that I look for in a mate.

Even if a woman has the soul of a poet, I don't want to see King Kong every time I wake up in the morning. It disturbs the neighbors.

Beyond that, though, there are many additional factors that don't fit into either category. How's her voice? What are her skills and talents? What are her ambitions? Does she want children? If so, how many? How much money does she make? Does she rock the sack, or is she a sack of rocks? Several questions that you need to ask in addition to the two in the thread title

• Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...

Personality, hands down. Physical attractiveness doesn't mean shit. I feel sexual attraction to people, but that's not what's important to me about love and romance.

Attractiveness is relative and temporal. It fades with time, and we all die some day anyway, so what's the point of it? I do however believe in the existence of the soul, so things like love and personality are eternal. 

And even if I didn't have spiritual beliefs, personality would still be far more important to me simply within the frame of reference of this life.

• Brohoof 3

I believe I have posted here before, but I suppose I would like to lend my perspective once more. From this, I may be able to see how my mindset has evolved and hopefully inspire someone to look further into their own perspectives. A person cannot be attracted to another without physical attraction. While one could argue that asexuality disproves this, I would argue that asexual people still value another's appearance, just not from a sexual perspective. A relationship where the minds involved are incompatable cannot work. Therefore, as long as those involved in a relationship are mentally compatable, physical attraction takes precedence, because the basis of a romantic relationship is attraction. While one can be attracted to another's mind, to be exclusively attracted to another's mind is platonic, and therefore physical attraction is the stronger basis of a romantic relationship. Physical attributes change of course, but so do mental attributes, so to say aging disproves me makes little sense. Alzheimer's would disprove that point.

However, from this I would conclude that friendship is more valuable than romance. I'd rather be able to care for another's mind than body.

I'll be blunt: I work out. I stay in shape. I get my hair done, I groom, I practice good hygiene and I work to look good. I refuse to settle for anyone who is not attractive enough in my eyes regardless of their personality simply because I am worth more than that. I am too good to settle for someone whom I am not sexually attracted to. Thus why I married my hot wife and not just my cool friends whom we have similar interests but I have little to no sexual attraction to.

Biologically speaking, our first instinct is to judge by appearance when looking for a partner. It is the first observable piece of information that we have, and may well be what makes or breaks the potential for a relationship to develop. You may lay eyes upon a stranger across the room with the most ideal personality in the world, but if they do not meet your genetic checklist, odds are you never meet her.

I would say appearance for initial attraction, personality for long-term commitment.

:maud: Depends, i guess.

IRL

:catface: (I've had plenty of experience with this, so I generally know what to do, and what feels natural)

The 1st meeting: is very visual. Mostly small talk.

The 2nd and 3rd times: would be all about breaking the ice, seeing if how we interact and if we communicate on the same level. AKA if we click and connect.

(It's at this point where I'd probably know, whether I would have romantic interest or not.)

4th-10th meetings: we get to know eachother better; share common interests and such. Become comfortable with eachother, be able to casually flirt with eachother.

8th-10th meetings: interact and mingle with friends on both sides, at this point dating just kind of happens, and hanging out at eachother's places (casually) would be fine.

:blush: I HAVE NO IDEA!

(The whole IRL idea... gets tossed on its flank)

:lie: I know that sounds horrible, but it's true.

People are just so paranoid on the net... :wau: I'm bewildered when I hear of couples forming online. :wat: It leaves me scratching my head. I guess, I just try be as open as I can, try to get to know the person the best I can... and maybe, just maybe, if I see something there I may start flirting, and see what happens. :squee:

Edited by Shimmer's Song

personality and physical attractiveness are both important.but if you say 'A' then he/she says 'B',can not talk about proper relationship.İt has finished already even at start.Because most important thing is harmony in relationships.İf there is a frequency and aura harmony between couples everthing will be better

I don't think anyone would say that physical attraction is more important than personality in a healthy serious relationship. Of course, if what you're looking for is, say, a one-night stand, then looks will probably matter more than personality, but that's not exactly a serious relationship, or relationship at all. :P

Like all (or, well, most?) people, I think personality is the most important thing. If I am to spend a really long time, or even my entire life with someone else, I'd want us to be able to talk, have fun and have a good time, rather than just "Hey I find you attractive, let's be together". xP