Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Anyone Else Hate Derpy?

Hive King

Am I the only person who thinks Derpy is a real annoyance? Well, in and of herself, she is not, she's a background pony. What's annoying is how everyone gets up in arms when she's censored and loves her to death. What has she done that's so special? Say muffin and act like an idiot with derpy eyes

Yes, I am aware that she has done other stuff, but those were the reasons that made her popular

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate Derpy, but I hate how obsessive/defensive the fanbase gets over her, like she's somehow the show's top priority.

The fact that she's one of the most popular characters in the show, even moreso than most of the main characters, despite doing absolutely nothing, is also ridiculous

Edited by The Sexy Pharaoh
  • Brohoof 7

I don't hate Derpy I like the pony and anyone who says it is offensive to have a retarded pony on the show what is more offensive to have a retarded pony on the show which shows acknowledgement to their existence or not to have one and pretend the special needs do not exist,

Hasbro took that extra step adding her in and it won't be long before they cross the LGBT boundaries

I think that Derpy is annoying, too.

I also don't think that her "obsession" with muffins is funny or cute.

I can't get myself to like overrated characters.  >_>

Edited by Royal Samurott
  • Brohoof 3

@,

You honestly think Hasbro cares? Did you see how quickly they backed out with Derpygate. It took the whole of one day before they went "NOPE!" and pulled out

And it is offensive when Derpy isn't written as a character, but as a walking joke for being a dumbass.  

Yeah the only appeal she seems to have is that she's like a brony inside joke. And not even a particularly good one.

Also, something along the lines of "mmm, muffins" would be a pretty normal reaction to being offered a free muffin. It doesn't mean you're a muffin obsessed freak.

• Brohoof 5

Like Derpy, I have strabisimus  (? spelling),  which is gobbledegook for eyes pointing other ways (cross eyed, wall eyed, & cock eyed in layman's terms)  This makes it hard to do some things, like flying.  (I'll spare you the poisonous details).

Derpy has her problems & is a bit of a klutz, which is MILDLY amusing.  AFAIK, the problem arose because they assigned Tara to do D's voice.  She thought the character was supposed to be a guy & used a "guy voice" for the character.  Some people thought this meant the character was supposed to be stupid & was being mocked for it.  They had a hissy fit & Hasbro pulled the character & redid the voice (cowardly, but I understand.  They're in business to make money &  controversy doesn't sell toys)  Some bronies had a hissy fit about Hasbro "giving in to censorship", so they brought Derpy back in a nonspeaking role.

My opinion.  Name your 5 favorite sit coms & I'd bet at least 2 of them have 1 or more characters who are morons.  (Homer Simpson, anyone who wants to get huffy over cartoons making fun of a moron).   I don't think Derpy is supposed to be stupid, (just clumsy) but hey, I'm a baby boomer, I grew up with the 3 Stooges.  I don't think morons being clumsy are offensive, it's what I grew up with.

In conclusion, THIS is what you choose to have a hissy fit over?  A cartoon ? Get a life.  Of course, I took the time to send this, so what does that say about my life? :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I don't like her typical fan name "Derpy", I like to call her Ditzy Doo. Some fans use her a lot, in artwork, fan videos, and fan fiction, I wish other ponies would get more attention too, the muffins gag has been used more than the Scootaloo chicken joke, a sense of the meme oriented pop culture that does like to think of itself as the backbone of bronies. I am okay with Ditzy, when she is used with care, because it is very easy to misuse a pony character, like Doctor Hooves or Lyra Heartstrings, who is used for an Equestria Girls fan story and even video, to suggest she was once human, but crossed into Equestria and became a pony. It doesn't matter what pony gets attention in the show or fan made work, it does pay off to be leery of redundancy, in regards of stories or characters, for some work can echo one another, and be too similar and indistinguishable, at some point a new character would be a welcome addition to our fandom, like Button Mash or Neon Lights, it would be nice to see new characters, from the show or original.    

Edited by Emperor Peter

I've never seen Derpy/Ditzy as a problem for the show. Sure, some fans would get angry or excited when she gets a moment on screen.

But for me; as long as the episodes lesson is taught(correctly) and at least one pony has character development then I'm fine.

• Brohoof 2

It's safe to say pretty much nobody hates Derpy because of Derpy. Like pretty much all MLP related things, it's the things the fans have done that get people up in arms. Derpy by herself doesn't really do much or say anything, and pretty much occupies the spaces in episodes that would be taken up by transitions. There's... not really much to hate there.

• Brohoof 3

Welp *cracks fingers* Time to be that "One Guy".

How dare you hate derpy for who she is! She is a beloved character in the show, she was born due to a technical error in the animation and people loved her. Hasbro brought her in the show because they thought "Hey, people like this pony, let shave her star in it with her own voice, etc! Good job john, Promotion!" and thats how John Delanci got the Discord Role. But anyway, back to Derpy. How could you hate her for her shenanigans? She's adorable and funny and thats all you should know. Not any of this "Oh, oh shes dumb, she represents, blah blah!" NO! She's adorable and I love her (As well as about 70-80% of the fandom)!!! No more hate on Derpy, we already had this happen years ago, we don't need another Derpy hate thread >: O

• Brohoof 1

Welp *cracks fingers* Time to be that "One Guy".

Can't tell if trolling or not

hats how John Delanci got the Discord Role

What?

How dare you hate derpy for who she is! She is a beloved character in the show, she was born due to a technical error in the animation and people loved her. Hasbro brought her in the show because they thought "Hey, people like this pony, let shave her star in it with her own voice, etc! Good job john, Promotion!" and thats how John Delanci got the Discord Role. But anyway, back to Derpy. How could you hate her for her shenanigans? She's adorable and funny and thats all you should know. Not any of this "Oh, oh shes dumb, she represents, blah blah!" NO! She's adorable and I love her (As well as about 70-80% of the fandom)!!! No more hate on Derpy, we already had this happen years ago, we don't need another Derpy hate thread >: O

I don't care for her, she's a bland character who does nothing 90% of the time, and does idiotic things the other 10%.

What annoys me is the fandom putting her on a giant pedestal and worshipping her like she's the next coming of your favorite fanfic 

• Brohoof 1

So ignore that part of the Fandom?  :comeatus: If you don't like it, don't worry about it. Not everybody is a Derpy-Fan.

If Derpy gets an episode then great, we can establish/expand her character and see the Fandoms reaction. Until then my above post remains my response to such things.

• Brohoof 2

I don't personally hate Derpy but really she's not as special as the fanbase makes her out to be. She's just another character with an annoying fanbase like Luna's. 

She's kind of cute but really she's nothing special. The whole muffins thing 24/7 can get kind of annoying though.

• Brohoof 3

So ignore that part of the Fandom?  :comeatus: If you don't like it, don't worry about it. Not everybody is a Derpy-Fan.

If Derpy gets an episode then great, we can establish/expand her character and see the Fandoms reaction. Until then my above post remains my response to such things.

I can't ignore it when it's practically 80% of the fandom going into an ape like rage over Derpy getting censored. 

Derpy getting an episode would provoke a massive outcry from parents and the fandom would go into rage, whether from Derpy's character being different from their expectations or from the inevitable censorship

• Brohoof 1

Hate? No she's my favorite pony. I tend to enjoy the background characters more then the main characters themselves, just because of how the way the fandom gives them personality, it's really enjoyable to me. Sure, Derpy's censorship was irritating at first then I realized "Who the f*** cares, it's a damn cartoon about Technicolor talking horses." And they did it for a perfectly legitimate reason. As for not having personality, that's where the fandom steps in, and canon or not, I find myself enjoying it.

Edited by Blueman15
  • Brohoof 4

I don't mind if people don't care for Derpy but what has really annoyed me is just how judgmental a lot of non Derpy fans are, Derpy fans have their reasons for liking her and for being a tad pissed at the busy bodies jumping in and pressuring Hasbro to censor Derpy. My favorite pony is Applejack who is one of the most underrated ponies ever but I still like Derpy so some of you really need to stop this "how dare you pay attention to this pony instead of this pony" bullshit arguments. It dosen't help said ponies get the attention they may deserve it just causes unnecessary conflict between fans of said ponies.  

• Brohoof 5

it's stupid to hate a character because of the actions of that characters' fans. And if you think that the fandom image of her is "all there is to go on for her", then you're sorely mistaken. She's doing many things in the background, when we see her. She's hardly ever not doing absolutely nothing. It's those little bits that she's doing that give us glimpses of her personality. Or....ponynality.....?

• Brohoof 1

As a background pony, you have to either like them for their looks or the traits the fandom gave them. If I went by fandom, I would absolutely hate Fluttershy and Applejack. Applejack is my favorite pony with Rarity, so I obviously do not go by fanmade stuff. So with lack of actual character, the best is to go by appearances and a few things they do. You could watch me when I go for walks or something. Would you ever know I'm a writer and a sketcher? Sure, you know some things, but not enough to really know her. Only glimpses. If you see me, you would think I like to walk, dress semi classy, and am short. You wouldn't know I draw, write, my favorite color, favorite food, or anything. Also, you may assume my favorite color is blue, but it's not. Seeing someone and knowing someone are two different things. 

I love Derpy. In fact, she is my favorite background pony. The reason I didn't like her censor was because her voice changed. Tabitha St. Germain is the best VA in my opinion, so that is a bit bias. Her clumsiness is also something I find to be adorable. I have a soft spot for clumsy characters. (Those who are actually clumsy by the way. Not those mean characters who pretend to be to do something mean.)

There is one fan thing that did make me like her more, though. It is the song, "Great to be Different." I know it isn't how canon Derpy is, but that song really spoke to me. So a fanon thing actually did influence my opinion. Even though I would still love her without that song. 

So, that is why I love Derpy. I don't hate any background characters. I hate Diamond Tiara, Prince Blue Blood, Flim Flam Brothers, and other characters who actually did things to be hated. I don't even hate Vinyl Scratch. I hate the type of music she seems to represent, but I don't hate her. 

Hating Derpy is like hating a special needs kid you don't know but a lot of people seem to like. You don't know anything about them except they are special needs and a lot of people like them. That is how Derpy is. We know she is a mailmare, she's clumsy, she has some disorder that causes her eyes to go in different directions, and she likes muffins. We don't know if she's obsessed with muffins, though. We don't know much about her. So how is that any different? 

Edited by Visual Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1