Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

FiM Movie Screenwriter - 'Give Me Names'

Jeric

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/11/joe-ballarini-pony-movie-scriptwriter.html?m=1

So, apparently Joe Ballerini, the screenwriter for the recently announced Pony movie, is looking for fans to tweet him what side characters they want featured. This brings up a few interesting thoughts specifically regarding collaboration with the fandom, and of course ... The writing process.

Usually the show gives the boarders some control of background character usage. The show writers don't put a lot of focus on them - and many times they are simply called incidental pony <insert #>.

Either that process is changing in the film space, or some background side characters may get a larger role. I'm not suggesting a plot driven role, but the idea that the writer is looking for fans to possibly help HIM pick a character suggests that specific lines and scenes may be written to highlight a character based on direct feedback.

Curious approach.

• Brohoof 2

It is strange that the writers are wanting us to choose background characters we want to see considering they usually do whatever that want with the shows or movies (even if there is fan service at times). Well I can imagine that people will be scrambling to give the muffin queen a role though I think Lyra, Octavia or Doctor Whooves should be given more love.....

• Brohoof 2

I'm hoping that hes just going to stick them in the background as cameos, not as a big role. Maybe a throw away line or two. I'm all for fan service, but I don't want it to interfere with the quality of the movie.

P.S. ZECORA PLS

• Brohoof 3

Funny. Someone tweeted a DA shot of Dr. Whooves, Derpy, Lyra, Vinyl, Octavia, & Bon Bon. His response - "Yes! Thanks for sending it in."

O.o

Personally, I think a background shot of Whooves next to Derpy and Dinky is justified :P

• Brohoof 3

What next? Choosing a favourite Villain to appear? Choosing a shipping to be featured? Maybe a poll? Cheeriemac or Fluttermac?

He really need to start doing a research on his own and decide with Meghan on plot and characters. He should just left the BG characters to DHX animation team and Simbsy. I want this movie to become the best pony movie ever that will destroy Equestria Girls series in any part. Not a shoutout to Bronies and popular memes. We already had Double Rainboom

• Brohoof 4

I think he's probably just practicing his hype-fu. He's working with Meghan McCarthy now.

My first thought when seeing this was that he's set himself up for a lot of time on MLP Wikia if he's going to understand most of the replies:

"Oh, Colgate!"

"Dinky!"

"Major role for Carrot Top, plz"

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure he's referring to characters like Granny Smith, Cheerilee, and Bulk Biceps, not BG characters.

By all that is good and holy I certainly hope he isn't doing that.

:wau:

I'm sure he's referring to characters like Granny Smith, Cheerilee, and Bulk Biceps, not BG characters.

To be honest im not sure if Bulk Biceps isnt still a bg character. He had as much speaking dialog and on screen appearance in two episodes as Derpy overall. Octavia speaking in Equestria Girls or Vinyl helping mane cast didnt turned them into side characters. He is somewhere between Vinyl and SnipSnails as a character. He might be used as both types.

And i think he meant side characters as more of a BG characters since side characters as "supporting characters" actually are written by writer and play some part in the story. Fans deciding such important aspect would basically become co writers. Deciding on bg ponies appearing is however just a small pandering toward fanbase and i hope that was the only thing he was aiming for. Or else we will have Derpy becoming part of the mane7 for entire movie.....

• Brohoof 1

This...does not inspire much confidence.

Maybe it's just me, but it gives the impression that they don't even really have a plan for the film itself, if they don't even have the characters picked out.

The over-saturation of memes and fan pandering are also part of why I was so irritated with Double Rainboom and "Rainbow Falls" with the latter only inserting characters for fans to go "OMG Derpy and Snowflake Bulk Biceps!" to distract from the writing flaws within the episode and declaring it the episode a 10 out of 10 just because Derpy appeared in it (and no, just because a beloved character appears in something, that doesn't automatically make the material flawless.)

So, it just feels to me like a cheap, lazy way for the writer either not to put in any effort or if the end result isn't so great among the fanbase, he can just say it's the fandom's fault because we could have voted for the characters who appeared in the film if the characters are unlikable, insignificant to the plot, or become more important than the Mane cast.

Sorry to go into a mini-rant, but that's just something that's come to annoy me recently.

Well we know that Ballerini and McCarthy are deep in outline right now, so this isn't an issue with not knowing the direction of the movie. Plus McCarthy is taking a more active role in story development than I initially thought if she is also working on the outline.

Equestria Girl! Best movie ever made!

After some time

Rainbow Rocks! best movie ever made!

After some time

***********! Best movie ever made!

Ill have to wait 3 years. xD

It will be interesting if Maud pie was there. Hardest pony to deal with.