Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Poniverse Nightmare Night Contest Winners!

Batbrony

img-3231389-1-Princess_Celestia_and_Prin

Well, here we are ya'll, the end of the line.  It's time to announce the winners of Poniverse's first ever Nightmare Night Fan Fiction Contest!  First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you who submitted entries for your participation and taking the time to produce such great submissions.  They were all a delight to read through, and every single one of you helped make this contest a resounding success, for which I and the rest of the staff are very grateful.  Secondly, I want to apologize for taking so long to get these results posted.  Real life's been kinda crazy lately, but still, I'm disappointed that I was unable to get the results up by October 31 as I initially had hoped to.  Thank you all for your patience in waiting on me; you guys are the best.

But enough about that.  Without further ado, here are... the winners of the Poniverse Nightmare Night Contest!!!  :muffins:

Winners

First Place: Not Right, by SStwins

This little gem which remains sorely under-read at this point was, in my humble opinion, the runaway winner of this contest.  It was without a doubt the scariest entry submitted, and considering it's a one-shot fic less than 2500 words long, that is saying something!  Quite a few elements went into making this fic so effective.  For one, it's pacing is absolutely phenomenal.  There are a total of seven, I repeat, SEVEN scenes in this one little fic, yet each one of them is just the right length, never drastically altering the pace of the story in any negative way whatsoever.  Besides that, it struck that rare, perfect balance that you rarely encounter in written horror fiction when it comes to evoking fear.  Half of its scares are derived from that which the reader is aware is going on, while the other half I attribute as fear derived from that which is unknown and remains ambiguous throughout the story.  Bring 'em both together and you've got yourselves a story where it is clearly obvious that something is "not right," but what exactly that something is remains a mystery, and that is what truly makes this an unnerving read.  I cannot recommend this fic enough, and would highly encourage all of you to check it out ASAP.  It'll seriously take just about 10 minutes to read through, and I can safely say that you will not regret doing so.  :comeatus:   Congratulations SStwins on your winning entry, you most certainly earned it!  :D

Second Place: Run, Luna, Run: Hallow's Eve Spooktacular, by PonyWithAHat

Our second place winner is also the shortest entry among the winning submissions, coming in at just over 1600 words long, but if you give it a read you'll quickly see why it clinched second.  This cute one-shot is, at its core, about the first thing most of us think of when we think of Nightmare Night: Trick-Or-Treating of course!  However, this fic takes that premise a step further, centering on none other than Princesses Luna and Tia Trick-Or-Treating, filly style.  If that sounds ridiculously adorable, trust me, it is, and besides the already ludicrous amounts of cute permeating throughout, this fic is also chock full of plenty of humorous sibling shenanigans and even a surprise guest appearance from a certain fan favorite character.  Undeniably adorable, PonyWithAHat's entry is definitely worth a read, if only for the heavy dose of cute you'll get in doing so.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Third Place: Princess Failure, by NoodleBrony

Rounding out our top three entries is the funniest, and perhaps most surprising, gem of the bunch.  Going into this contest, I certainly did not expect that one of the winning entries would be, of all things, a Trollestia fic, but to my pleasant surprise, we got this!  In her first MLP fan fiction ever written, NoodleBrony has put together a short, nonsensical, and delightfully random one-shot that revolves around Celestia trying to have some fun around Ponyville on Nightmare Night by, how else, playing pranks.  Compared to the other two winning entries, Nightmare Night itself admittedly didn't play any particular relevance in this story, but all the same that doesn't change the fact that it's a mighty fine fic in its own right.  Trollestia is, well, as trolly as you'd want; her behavior doesn't match some of the ludicrous levels that I've seen in other fics before, but actually, I kind of prefer it that way.  Instead of being this rampant troll, Celestia instead is portrayed as this blissfully unaware prankster who delights in screwing around with other ponies, but doesn't really understand the boundaries of a good prank.  It all leads up to a hilarious, out-of-left field ending that I certainly did not see coming and which provided me with the biggest laughs I got out of the whole fic, and certainly sealed the deal on this entry winning third place.  Congratulations NoodleBrony on your win, and here's hoping you continue to write fan fiction!  I'd certainly love to see what else you could come up with!  :toldya:

Honorable Mentions

I'm not going to conduct full reviews on these next two, but I did feel compelled all the same to highlight a couple other fics that almost snagged one of the top three spots, but didn't quite make the cut.  Vicarious, by CloserToTheSun, and Terror Tales of the Farm, by Yoshi89 were both delightful with many, many good qualities to speak of.  The former was a creepy one-shot about Spike and the CMC experimenting with a ouija board, while the latter was actually a horror anthology (definitely the most creative in its structure of any of our entries).  While, again, neither of these two quite managed to get into the top 3, they were both still great reads, and if you get the chance, I'd highly recommend reading them both.

Once again, I also want to thank everyone else who submitted entries as well.  I really enjoyed reading through every single one of these fics, even if some were undoubtedly written better than others.  It was a joy seeing people turning out to write their own fics, tell their own stories, and present their own interpretations of canon characters we know and love, or even make up their own!  I hope we'll see only more of this in the future, and hope that this contest has done a bit to bring our fan fiction community here on MLP Forums and in the greater Poniverse a little bit closer together.  Thank you all for your efforts, participation, and most of all, for the fun times I and many other readers have had reading through your work!  :muffins:

img-3231389-2-large.png

Hope you had a Happy Nightmare Night everypony!  Thanks again to all who participated for helping us make it just a little bit more awesome.

• Brohoof 12

*Sigh*Not one of the winners ... darn it, I should gave it more time and not rushing it XD

Well you might just get your chance soon enough.  Seeing as a certain other holiday is rolling around soon (and no, I'm not talking about our beloved Thanksgiving/Turkey Day), it's never too soon to start writing another holiday-centric fic, if you catch my drift.  ;)

• Brohoof 5

Well you might just get your chance soon enough.  Seeing as a certain other holiday is rolling around soon (and no, I'm not talking about our beloved Thanksgiving/Turkey Day), it's never too soon to start writing another holiday-centric fic, if you catch my drift.  ;)

Thanks!^^ I will, and this time I take more time and effort for it^^

and congrats to winners of course! :D

• Brohoof 5

Congrats to the winners! I'm honored to receive an honorable mention up there! (and to be fair, I kinda wanted to write my story solely because Hasbro owns both MLP and the Ouija board, so a crossover isn't as farfetched as it might seem xD)

Anyway, thanks for hosting the contest and giving me the chance to write!

• Brohoof 2

img-3231389-1-Princess_Celestia_and_Prin

Well, here we are ya'll, the end of the line.  It's time to announce the winners of Poniverse's first ever Nightmare Night Fan Fiction Contest!  First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you who submitted entries for your participation and taking the time to produce such great submissions.  They were all a delight to read through, and every single one of you helped make this contest a resounding success, for which I and the rest of the staff are very grateful.  Secondly, I want to apologize for taking so long to get these results posted.  Real life's been kinda crazy lately, but still, I'm disappointed that I was unable to get the results up by October 31 as I initially had hoped to.  Thank you all for your patience in waiting on me; you guys are the best.

But enough about that.  Without further ado, here are... the winners of the Poniverse Nightmare Night Contest!!!  :muffins:

Winners

First Place: Not Right, by SStwins

This little gem which remains sorely under-read at this point was, in my humble opinion, the runaway winner of this contest.  It was without a doubt the scariest entry submitted, and considering it's a one-shot fic less than 2500 words long, that is saying something!  Quite a few elements went into making this fic so effective.  For one, it's pacing is absolutely phenomenal.  There are a total of seven, I repeat, SEVEN scenes in this one little fic, yet each one of them is just the right length, never drastically altering the pace of the story in any negative way whatsoever.  Besides that, it struck that rare, perfect balance that you rarely encounter in written horror fiction when it comes to evoking fear.  Half of its scares are derived from that which the reader is aware is going on, while the other half I attribute as fear derived from that which is unknown and remains ambiguous throughout the story.  Bring 'em both together and you've got yourselves a story where it is clearly obvious that something is "not right," but what exactly that something is remains a mystery, and that is what truly makes this an unnerving read.  I cannot recommend this fic enough, and would highly encourage all of you to check it out ASAP.  It'll seriously take just about 10 minutes to read through, and I can safely say that you will not regret doing so.  :comeatus:   Congratulations SStwins on your winning entry, you most certainly earned it!  :D

Second Place: Run, Luna, Run: Hallow's Eve Spooktacular, by PonyWithAHat

Our second place winner is also the shortest entry among the winning submissions, coming in at just over 1600 words long, but if you give it a read you'll quickly see why it clinched second.  This cute one-shot is, at its core, about the first thing most of us think of when we think of Nightmare Night: Trick-Or-Treating of course!  However, this fic takes that premise a step further, centering on none other than Princesses Luna and Tia Trick-Or-Treating, filly style.  If that sounds ridiculously adorable, trust me, it is, and besides the already ludicrous amounts of cute permeating throughout, this fic is also chock full of plenty of humorous sibling shenanigans and even a surprise guest appearance from a certain fan favorite character.  Undeniably adorable, PonyWithAHat's entry is definitely worth a read, if only for the heavy dose of cute you'll get in doing so.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Third Place: Princess Failure, by NoodleBrony

Rounding out our top three entries is the funniest, and perhaps most surprising, gem of the bunch.  Going into this contest, I certainly did not expect that one of the winning entries would be, of all things, a Trollestia fic, but to my pleasant surprise, we got this!  In her first MLP fan fiction ever written, NoodleBrony has put together a short, nonsensical, and delightfully random one-shot that revolves around Celestia trying to have some fun around Ponyville on Nightmare Night by, how else, playing pranks.  Compared to the other two winning entries, Nightmare Night itself admittedly didn't play any particular relevance in this story, but all the same that doesn't change the fact that it's a mighty fine fic in its own right.  Trollestia is, well, as trolly as you'd want; her behavior doesn't match some of the ludicrous levels that I've seen in other fics before, but actually, I kind of prefer it that way.  Instead of being this rampant troll, Celestia instead is portrayed as this blissfully unaware prankster who delights in screwing around with other ponies, but doesn't really understand the boundaries of a good prank.  It all leads up to a hilarious, out-of-left field ending that I certainly did not see coming and which provided me with the biggest laughs I got out of the whole fic, and certainly sealed the deal on this entry winning third place.  Congratulations NoodleBrony on your win, and here's hoping you continue to write fan fiction!  I'd certainly love to see what else you could come up with!  :toldya:

Honorable Mentions

I'm not going to conduct full reviews on these next two, but I did feel compelled all the same to highlight a couple other fics that almost snagged one of the top three spots, but didn't quite make the cut.  Vicarious, by CloserToTheSun, and Terror Tales of the Farm, by Yoshi89 were both delightful with many, many good qualities to speak of.  The former was a creepy one-shot about Spike and the CMC experimenting with a ouija board, while the latter was actually a horror anthology (definitely the most creative in its structure of any of our entries).  While, again, neither of these two quite managed to get into the top 3, they were both still great reads, and if you get the chance, I'd highly recommend reading them both.

Once again, I also want to thank everyone else who submitted entries as well.  I really enjoyed reading through every single one of these fics, even if some were undoubtedly written better than others.  It was a joy seeing people turning out to write their own fics, tell their own stories, and present their own interpretations of canon characters we know and love, or even make up their own!  I hope we'll see only more of this in the future, and hope that this contest has done a bit to bring our fan fiction community here on MLP Forums and in the greater Poniverse a little bit closer together.  Thank you all for your efforts, participation, and most of all, for the fun times I and many other readers have had reading through your work!  :muffins:

img-3231389-2-large.png

Hope you had a Happy Nightmare Night everypony!  Thanks again to all who participated for helping us make it just a little bit more awesome.

hm, this is good.

I would have liked the picture better if the moon was empty...

• Brohoof 2

Whoa! Never would have expected my entry to receive an Honorable Mention! :D I appreciate the kind words about my anthology.

This was a fun contest. I particularly enjoyed reading the other entries. Congratulations to the winners!  ^_^  Well-deserved!

• Brohoof 2

I made 3rd :wub: . I'm surprised I got on at all. I have more ideas for fanfics. Got to get them out there. :)

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  As I said before, yours was most definitely the most surprisingly pleasant entry out of the lot, and I always love seeing new writers going out there and giving it their all!  :D

Congrats to NoodleBrony and SSTwins for the win! It was awesome to participate! 

As was yours PonyWithAHat.  Can I also just mention that I never tire of just staring at your avatar.  Top hat Fluttershy is dapper AND cute as buck; it's like the ultimate combination of dapper and cute, two things that normally would never go together!  :squee:  

Congrats to the winners! I'm honored to receive an honorable mention up there! (and to be fair, I kinda wanted to write my story solely because Hasbro owns both MLP and the Ouija board, so a crossover isn't as farfetched as it might seem xD)

Anyway, thanks for hosting the contest and giving me the chance to write!

I realized that halfway through reading your fic, and I LOVED that connection after I made it in my head.  Always a pleasure seeing what you come up with my friend.  :proud:

Whoa! Never would have expected my entry to receive an Honorable Mention! :D I appreciate the kind words about my anthology.

This was a fun contest. I particularly enjoyed reading the other entries. Congratulations to the winners!  ^_^  Well-deserved!

But of course Yoshi, I'm glad you pursued that style of fic!  It was definitely one of the more unique among the entries, that's for sure, and I love that you also solely focused on the Apple family without unnecessarily trying to drag every character into the fic.

• Brohoof 4

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
WHAT
WHAT
I'M FREAKING OUT

I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:blink:   :D  :lol:  :wub:

I seriously can't believe I won, I looked through the other entries and they were all so great, I'm literally so shocked!!! I like started jumping all over my room when I saw this when I logged in. I can't even- just wow. :please:

Thanks everyone for the nice messages. I'm SO happy right now!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much, Batbrony!!!!!!!

I'm going to go die on my floor now. I think I'm in shock.  :yay:

• Brohoof 7

As was yours PonyWithAHat.  Can I also just mention that I never tire of just staring at your avatar.  Top hat Fluttershy is dapper AND cute as buck; it's like the ultimate combination of dapper and cute, two things that normally would never go together!

I try to convoy my avatar to what I create. Things that are cute, along with my love for the Victorian age. This avatar is just lovely~

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
WHAT
WHAT
I'M FREAKING OUT

I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:blink:   :D  :lol:  :wub:

I seriously can't believe I won, I looked through the other entries and they were all so great, I'm literally so shocked!!! I like started jumping all over my room when I saw this when I logged in. I can't even- just wow. :please:

I'm going to go die on my floor now. I think I'm in shock.  :yay:

You earned it mate. I read through your work and I just adored it~ Kudos to you!

• Brohoof 1

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAT

WHAT

I'M FREAKING OUT

I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:blink::D:lol::wub:

I'm going to go die on my floor now. I think I'm in shock. :yay:

Just read your entry.

:wau:

Good show SSTwins!

• Brohoof 2

Congrats to everyone who participated! And to the winner, the runner-ups and the honourable mentions, you should feel proud for an achievement like this one. I should get the chance to read all of your fanfics soon. :D

• Brohoof 3

Oh, man, I knew there was something I had forgotten to do recently... oh, well, I guess it let someone else win, so that's okay. ;) Just kidding. Well done to the winners!

• Brohoof 1