Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Edit option for status

Commander Frost

I think there should be a way to edit your status update. Because alot of the time you can mess up on a status and then have to repost the entire status, which can get annoying to you, and others who get the notification that you posted a status. 

• Brohoof 7

Commonly asked for upgrade. I think that there are a lot of limitations in IPB for the Status Update Hook. I know the entire block suite is being revamped in 4.0 and since this has been requested by users and administrators for years, who knows.

• Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...

Delete and Lock.

These are the only things you can do with your status's.

But what if you made an embarrassing spelling mistake? Something that you could easily rectify in a post, but not so easily in a status update.

How can this even be allowed to go on?

I could meet my future employer on these forums, you know? What do you think is gonna happen when they see I misspelled 'santa' as 'satan' ?

Future me gets fired for being a heathen devil worshiper, thats what.

The potential for embarrassment is astronomical!

One day you'll see ",Oh hey, Did you hear about that new probe that NAS launched?" on my status feed and the next comment will be SasQ telling me what a ninny head I am for confusing the National Academy of Science for Nasa.

And do you know what happens then?

magic_kindergarten_by_ronvarone-d4i6n52.

This is a serious problem that needs to be rectified post haste before I accidentally add an extra 'E' when mentioning the short form of the National Electrical Manufacturer's Association and get myself banned.

• Brohoof 3

I broke the rules of time and space and merged your post with and older one with this suggestion. IPB, in my opinion, created and released a unfinished product with the Status Update feature. Along with more controls with notifications, Celestia emote, this is the top requested item.

Yes I actually went through and captured data on this. :)

• Brohoof 3

• 2 years later...

It would be nice, though it doesn't look like anything can be done about it. I use my phone and typing status updates can be a pain when make mispellings often. I even often have to edit my posts to correct spelling errors.

Honestly I am too lazy to completely read my post, and it's easier to hit the post button when done with a status since it is harder to scroll through it on my phone.

Commonly asked for upgrade. I think that there are a lot of limitations in IPB for the Status Update Hook. I know the entire block suite is being revamped in 4.0 and since this has been requested by users and administrators for years, who knows.

Hello "me from the past" I can confirm that there are in fact more robust options available in IPB 4. I don't think you can edit them though. That said, the new functions are amazing compared to what we have here. 

BTW, pretty soon some woman from Staff is going to ping you about joining staff. When you are talking on Skype ... tell her a fart joke. Seriously ... you will get the best reaction ever. 

• Brohoof 5

I agree it is problematic - not only for those, who post statuses, but even more for those, who receive notifications.

Making a typo is a common thing and everypony makes one from time to time, but even if somebody will want to add something to the status, like an important and relevant sentence, then he's unable to do so without re-posting it or adding a comment, that will get lost under new comments.

Posting comments also can be problematic sometimes, due to character limit. I'm pretty sure many of us (including myself) got their comment 'triple dotted'* at least once.

Comments usually get pretty messy after that, so personally I'm deleting that comment and posting new ones, divided into parts.

* triple dotted - when the comment is too long, it gets cut off when posting without any warning. The forum software puts three dots at the end of the comment when performing that action.

We all know the magic from receiving notification combos regarding new status updates, where only one exists, because the rest were deleted.

It is a really common look for me:

Tfe7UUR.png

That happens a lot for me. Now when I see that kind of combo, then I'm usually just clicking the top one assuming, that the ones below were deleted, due to typo and such.

You know, I'm getting more than 100 notifications everyday so... Yeah.  :D

Anyway I believe this cannot be solved. That's how the forum software was scripted. Though I agree it would be a great improvement.

Also, I'm pretty sure v4 doesn't have that option as well. I'm a member of forums, that use v4 and I can't edit my statuses, nor comments.

By the way v4 is a nightmare. I'm not sure if my breaking skills were activated at that time, but I managed to accidentally glitch posts many, many times. The text editor is a pain and the BBcodes tend go wild pretty often (misplaced spoilers most of the time). Please do not think of upgrading it to v4.  :please:

Well, this version isn't bug-free either, but these are less destructive.

WtvmtpT.png

↓ See? I made a typo already. Edit to the rescue!  :D

Edited by Rikifive

I agree it is problematic - not only for those, who post statuses, but even more for those, who receive notifications.

Making a typo is a common thing and everypony makes one from time to time, but even if somebody will want to add something to the status, like an important and relevant sentence, then he's unable to do so without re-posting it or adding a comment, that will get lost under new comments.

Posting comments also can be problematic sometimes, due to character limit. I'm pretty sure many of us (including myself) got their comment 'triple dotted'* at least once.

Comments usually get pretty messy after that, so personally I'm deleting that comment and posting new ones, divided into parts.

* triple dotted - when the comment is too long, it gets cut off when posting without any warning. The forum software puts three dots at the end of the comment when performing that action.

We all know the magic from receiving notification combos regarding new status updates, where only one exists, because the rest were deleted.

It is a really common look for me:

sig-4749472.Tfe7UUR.png

That happens a lot for me. Now when I see that kind of combo, then I'm usually just clicking the top one assuming, that the ones below were deleted, due to typo and such.

You know, I'm getting more than 100 notifications everyday so... Yeah. :D

Anyway I believe this cannot be solved. That's how the forum software was scripted. Though I agree it would be a great improvement.

Also, I'm pretty sure v4 doesn't have that option as well. I'm a member of forums, that use v4 and I can't edit my statuses, nor comments.

By the way v4 is a nightmare. I'm not sure if my breaking skills were activated at that time, but I managed to accidentally glitch posts many, many times. The text editor is a pain and the BBcodes tend go wild pretty often (misplaced spoilers most of the time). Please do not think of upgrading it to v4. :please:

Well, this version isn't bug-free either, but these are less destructive.

sig-4749472.WtvmtpT.png

↓ See? I made a typo already. Edit to the rescue! :D

You can edit your own IPB 4 posts if the Administrator has that option turned on.

Stacked notifications are nice though, I definitely agree that that UI element would be preferable to the ones used by every other software company that makes Forum Software. :)

• Brohoof 1

You can edit your own IPB 4 posts if the Administrator has that option turned on.

By posts, you mean status updates and comments?

I see. That's nice then.  :pinkie:

...But that feature is not worth upgrading to v4. I like how things are now.  :-P

What do you mean by stacked notifications?  :P

By posts, you mean status updates and comments?

I see. That's nice then. :pinkie:

...But that feature is not worth upgrading to v4. I like how things are now. :-P

What do you mean by stacked notifications? :P

Say you have notifications on for brohooves. Right now if 10 different people broohoof a post you get an unread notification for each separately when you log back in. A better way of handling that would be to have it push one notification to you that reads "x members have given you a brohoof for the thread y."

"You received 'x' comments"

"You received 'x' private messages"

Then you see at glance who did what but they are all grouped together.

That sort of thing. Think about how Android and iOS handle them. Or Facebook.

As far as upgrading: eventually this place has to do something because of one concern that exists on any piece of 3rd party software - security. When an old software is no longer supported it leaves it open to exploits and security holes that the main company isn't developing patches for.

Whether they upgrade to IPB 4, xF, or develop their own ... eventually they will need to set aside this platform for the sake of it being in a more secured environment.

I can tell you this: if they do go to a 3rd party platform, the development team has both the aptitude and desire to refine it to fit this community's needs.

• Brohoof 1

As far as upgrading: eventually this place has to do something because of one concern that exists on any piece of 3rd party software - security. When an old software is no longer supported it leaves it open to exploits and security holes that the main company isn't developing patches for.

Whether they upgrade to IPB 4, xF, or develop their own ... eventually they will need to set aside this platform for the sake of it being in a more secured environment.

I can tell you this: if they do go to a 3rd party platform, the development team has both the aptitude and desire to refine it to fit this community's needs.

;)

I can confirm that I did start the process of upgrading to IPB 4 last week. I do yearn for custom software, but alas, the EOL date is April 2017 and we don't have the resources to build something this featurific by that date. We have something like a bajillion different apps and hooks (now plugins) that we need to rebuild from the ground up or find and purchase their replacements.

• Brohoof 2