Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Derpy overrated?

Snuggie Lord

Derpy is overrated in a good way (does such thing exist?). She does have a lot of fans, but there's nothing wrong with that. I do have to admit that she gets A LOT of attention for not having an important role in an episode *cough* The Last Roundup *cough* But, I like Derpy. I've never seen a character like her in MLP (or any show).

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Derpy is a fantastic addition to the show.

She's adorable, interesting, and fun to try and spot in the background.

What's special is that the fans made her character what it is today. I think her presence really shows the connection between the fans and the show's writers, and it displays the creativity of the fandom.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3

Nope. Shes very special to the fandom. And to continue and explain why (and just out of laziness) I'm gonna copy paste what I wrote in the recent "Does anyone else hate derpy" thread since I will basically write the same thing if I didn't.

You guys have not been around since the beginning of the fandom. I'll tell you all really why she is so special.

She was essentially our mascot back in the day. She was practically the first background pony that got fanon. And compared to the crowds of Lyras, Berrys, and Golden Harvests, she was different. Mainly cuz of the eye thing but still she was different from all the others. And because of that, we spotted her out and she continued to have those eyes. In a way she was our creation. For if we didn't notice her she wouldn't be like how she is today. So eventually she was like a mascot for the fandom; a pony that represented us. Even though nowadays she may not seem all that special cuz of 100 of other background pones, but back then she was one of a kind and something the fandom could all love mutually. She also became a way the show creators could acknowledge us and give us a nice wink at.

That is why many were up in arms during that period in 2012. Cuz our pony, our creation, our mascot, the pony that the storyboard artists and the writers liked putting in to acknowledge us, was changed. The pony that the whole fandom loved for who she was, was censored. And even if she technically wasn't our pony or our creation, it did feel that way, and she was still our mascot. And you know... she still sorta is.

• Brohoof 6

I don't think she is overrated, Derpy is special to the fandom for many good reasons.  :muffins:

Also, I think it is really stupid to hate somepony simply because you feel that people love her too much.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, but I feel that way about every background character. I don't think there's anything wrong with liking background charcters, but still

Yes and no.  Yes in the fact that she really hasn't done much.

No in that plenty of other background ponies have some rather strong fanbases.  Lyra, Ocatvia, Vinyl/DJ Pwn-3 all get a lot of fan attention and what have any of them really done?  Just the way things are with fandoms.

• Brohoof 1

Since I already talked about Derpy in the last two threads, it's time for a mini-rant on the word "overrated"

There is never a good way to use overrated. :okiedokielokie:  I hate using definitives, but it makes sense here. When you use the word overrated, you are basing your perceptions on how other people feel. This has nothing to do with the character itself, just what other people think of them, and it's rather unfair to judge a character based on that idea alone.

It's also contextually paradoxical(big words!), and a bit hypocritical. A character should never receive less praise than they are getting, because the fact that they're receiving that praise means that that character, for whatever reason, did something to earn it. By saying something is overrated, you're insulting everybody that does like the character by implying that they only like that character because other people like that character...While you only dislike that character because other people like that character, even though in both cases, you would be equally misinformed...? :blink:

It just... doesn't make sense. Rant over.  -_-

• Brohoof 3

Since I already talked about Derpy in the last two threads, it's time for a mini-rant on the word "overrated"

There is never a good way to use overrated. :okiedokielokie:  I hate using definitives, but it makes sense here. When you use the word overrated, you are basing your perceptions on how other people feel. This has nothing to do with the character itself, just what other people think of them, and it's rather unfair to judge a character based on that idea alone.

It's also contextually paradoxical(big words!), and a bit hypocritical. A character should never receive less praise than they are getting, because the fact that they're receiving that praise means that that character, for whatever reason, did something to earn it. By saying something is overrated, you're insulting everybody that does like the character by implying that they only like that character because other people like that character...While you only dislike that character because other people like that character, even though in both cases, you would be equally misinformed...? :blink:

It just... doesn't make sense. Rant over.  -_-

I agree with you. I also like to add that just because someone does not like a character does not mean no one should. I may not like Trixie, but I don't go around calling her overrated. I can't see why anyone would like her, but the large majority of bronies love her. I guess bronies like characters that are self centered and think they are better than everyone else. (Confidence is good. That is not. AND I AM NOT JEALOUS OF TRIXIE! SHUT UP ABOUT IT! I TRULY DON'T SEE WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT HER!)

You're getting off topic. 

Right. Sorry about that. I think the claim she stole the entire episode of "The Last Roundup" is stupid, but I would not call her overrated. People like her, and people hate her. Rarity and Applejack are tied for best pony. They are under appreciated. Rarity wins by a landslide on almost if not all worst pony of the mane six polls. I don't like her because everyone else does obviously. There is also Trixie and Vinyl who I don't like, but most bronies love them. I like characters people would call overrated like Derpy, Princess Luna, Coco Pommel, and Sonata Dusk. But I also like characters who need more love like Rarity, Applejack, and pony Snips and Snails (don't like the human counterparts.)  

Short version: I don't like the word "overrated," and I like Derpy because I find her clumsiness to be adorable, not because everyone else does. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe a little, I like her, but I can understand why some might get annoyed at how much some fans get riled up over her.

Yes,as is the same with every other background pony.

They're adorable,yeah,but it feels like they're popular only because people tried to be hipsters and like the "unpopular" ponies who are not the Mane Six just so they can feel...whatever it is hipsters feel about themselves.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome that the whole Derpy thing emerged from a simple animation error. That's one of the reasons I like this fandom. And I prefer "Derpy Hooves" over "Ditzy Doo".