Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

People rubbing in their religions

The Last Derp

My personal belief is Christianity yet at times I wonder why this world has to have religion??

I see religion as more of a club. Right now Christianity seems the most popular,however I wouldn't be surprised if some other religion popped up in a few centuries and takes the world by storm. 

I see religion as more of a club. Right now Christianity seems the most popular,however I wouldn't be surprised if some other religion popped up in a few centuries and takes the world by storm. 

Well Islam is already pretty darn popular as it is, though tbh I think religion is decreasing(very slowly and will probably stop soon) as a whole, we are seeing many more atheist/agnostics than ever before, I'm not saying that is a good thing, but just based on what I have seen.

Well Islam is already pretty darn popular as it is, though tbh I think religion is decreasing(very slowly and will probably stop soon)

Yeah I've heard Islam is taking over Europe, kinda frightening to be honest. Violent religions scare me a lot so I hope everything works out ok. I would hope religion will die out too, but there is always going to be someone who needs some deity to believe in to get by in life. -_-

It's especially funny because Jesus denounced that kind of behavior

That's not that funny. Christianity is just such a huge and widespread religion that a huge number of its "adherents" are just there for social and/or "cultural" benefit or they are forced to be there. They don't even understand what their own religious text says or means and they are the people most responsible for distorting a religion. It's a form of popularity which is why people like to rub it into conversation and like to make others convert to it.. Overall, I think conversion is a primitive relic of the past and should no longer be practiced even in passing.

• Brohoof 2

That's not that funny. Christianity is just such a huge and widespread religion that a huge number of its "adherents" are just there for social and/or "cultural" benefit or they are forced to be there. They don't even understand what their own religious text says or means and they are the people most responsible for distorting a religion. It's a form of popularity which is why people like to rub it into conversation and like to make others convert to it.. Overall, I think conversion is a primitive relic of the past and should no longer be practiced even in passing.

I dunno, a lot of people HAVE been saved by finding one faith or another. 

I think that you are right in a way, but I posit that this concept is less an indictment on religion than it is with tribalism as a whole. You give me a cause that has numerous followers, and I'll point to many examples of misunderstanding the concepts of said cause or belief. Same goes for the social benefits. 

• Brohoof 2

I dunno, a lot of people HAVE been saved by finding one faith or another.

Yes, if they find it on their own then I assume they are a true believer in the religion and are not there because their whole family is or because their town or whatever is predominately in that religion. In a way, they convert themselves.

Yes, if they find it on their own then I assume they are a true believer in the religion and are not there because their whole family is or because their town or whatever is predominately in that religion. In a way, they convert themselves.

Some are saved by others as well.

but I posit that this concept is less an indictment on religion than it is with tribalism as a whole
Yes

Yes. It's not a failing of the religion but on the part of the followers that are only there because others are there. Only, religion carries such a weight that in some part of the world, not following along with the crowd can get one killed. And with over 2 billion, it would be obvious that many in the Christian family of faiths are not exactly legitimate believers. They just don't know any better and even those commanding a church might not be above those that are there due to outside influence.

The seven deadly sins usually invoke a an extreme mental image. Sloth means more than some guy sitting on the couch doing nothing for his entire life. Lust means more than promiscuity. 

Most of the sins have a positive flip-side.

• Lust → passion
  • Sloth → efficiency
  • Wrath → justice
  • Pride → confidence
  • Greed → entrepreneurship
  • Envy → aspiration
  • Gluttony → (???)

Most of the sins have a positive flip-side.

• Lust → passion
  • Sloth → efficiency
  • Wrath → justice
  • Pride → confidence
  • Greed → entrepreneurship
  • Envy → aspiration
  • Gluttony → (???)
Not really,

Lust----Rape

Sloth----hypocrisy (spiritual laziness)

Wrath----undeserved punishment

Pride----arrogance (overconfidence)

Greed----exploitation

Envy----thievery (want something so you steal it)

, does have a point when you apply the knowledge that love and hate are chemically identical, and hypothesized to only be discerned based on cognitive processes. Lust and passion are similar as well, and quite frankly the compartmentalization of the Seven Deadly sins is about as inaccurate as Ptolemy was when you factor in modern knowledge of psychology (which most clergy should study along with theology).

I don't put much stock in the Cardinal Vices as a teaching tool for spirituality anyway, but most of that is my biased against Gregory. Though to his credit, it wasn't Pope Gregory that modified sloth to replaced acedia which would have been a better element since it deals with lack of encouraging others. 

Yep, being negative was a deadly sin folks. :wau:

It's really annoying, my mother was in a car accident last week and was lucky enough to survive a forty foot fall after her car fishtailed on a patch of black ice-with barely a scratch on her.

My grandmother on my Dad's side finds out about it and says; "That's a sign from God that you need to go to church."

She bible-thumps all the time with everything and it would always annoyed me to no end, but the fact that my Mom was almost killed and she just callously says something like that...it's that kind of behavior from those kinds of people that make me apathetic towards the concept religion in general-I just don't care whether or not there is a higher power or which religion is the 'right one' after dealing with these kinds of zealots and I never will.

• Brohoof 1

It's really annoying, my mother was in a car accident last week and was lucky enough to survive a forty foot fall after her car fishtailed on a patch of black ice-with barely a scratch on her.

My grandmother on my Dad's side finds out about it and says; "That's a sign from God that you need to go to church."

She bible-thumps all the time with everything and it would always annoyed me to no end, but the fact that my Mom was almost killed and she just callously says something like that...it's that kind of behavior from those kinds of people that make me apathetic towards the concept religion in general-I just don't care whether or not there is a higher power or which religion is the 'right one' after dealing with these kinds of zealots and I never will.

I don't mind religions trying to spread their message, seeing as how my own does so.

It's people like your grandmother that annoy me since they take everything as a sign of God(s), the majority of what goes on in the world is simply natural or man-mad in some shape or form. To me, a God who created freewill wouldn't try to impose his own religion on the very people he gave such sentience too.

It's nice to be appreciated, but is a simple thanks worth losing a friend/child/ect... over?

• Brohoof 1