Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Worst Official Releases in your Favorite Franchises?

The Coffee Pony

Age of Empires online, age of empires castle siege

Age of Empires online was weird, and super cartoony and a joke compared to the original games, and castle siege is a clash of clans rip off, but at least you can actually move your units in that game which makes it slightly better.

Ugh, they need to quit screwing around and make Age of Empires 4.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL

Star Trek

• Voyager
  • Enterprise

Now this I just don't get.  I guess I should file this under "things I love that everyone seems to hate".  These were my two favorite Star Trek series.  I don't understand all the hate.  I'd like to hear some specific feedback as to why people hate these shows.  I'm legitimately curious.

Final Fantasy XII

Possibly my favorite FF.  Not for story, but for gameplay.  It's so sad that it was so hated, because it discouraged Square from ever returning to such a great combat system.

I'd say the entire Final Fantasy XIII series. 

It's too linear, the characters are boring, and the story is bullshit.

I loved the first XIII.  Didn't play the others.  They didn't appeal to me, but XIII was amazing.  Linear, yes, but the characters and story gave me chills.

Oh well.  Whattya gonna do?

As for my entry, maybe this will be a "things I hate that everyone seems to love".

Halo 4

Halo Wars

Anything Halo that's not made by Bungie

I'd like to clarify why I'm so anti-343.  I've never actually played Halo 4.  I've heard bad things, but regardless of whether it's well made or not, I refuse to play it for one simple reason.  The Chief's story should never be touched after the ending to 3.  Why, you ask?  Think about it: how else could the Chief's story end?  3 was so perfect.  He's adrift, not dead, but it's an endless cliffhanger.  We shouldn't ever see how the Chief's story ends.  He shouldn't live happily ever after.  That would be lame.  You figure he'll probably go out with a bang in some form or another, but we should never see how.  We must not know how he dies.  We must not see it.  Spartans never die.  They're only MIA.  We've seen many spartans die, but we should never see the Chief's death.  And any other ending would just be a rehash of 3.  How else are you going to end it, where we don't see his death, but he doesn't live happily ever after?  It was the perfect ending to the perfect series, and in my opinion, continuing the Chief's story was a travesty.  And the fact that they actually referred to Cortana as the Chief's "loyal sidekick" in an ad for the game did not help me want to play it.  Loyal sidekick?  Why don't they just have Adam West voice the Chief?  And he could do the Spartan Dance.  You just wait--the next game will be called Halo: The Adventures of Master Chief.  When a franchise names an entry, "Adventures of...", that's when you know it's turned to absolute crap.  I'm dreading the day when we see Lord of the Rings II: The Adventures of Frodo.  I guarentee you, one day, it will happen.  Probably when Disney buys the rights to LOTR.

• Brohoof 2

Possibly my favorite FF.  Not for story, but for gameplay.  It's so sad that it was so hated, because it discouraged Square from ever returning to such a great combat system.

Your love of FFXII pleases me. It's definitely one of my favorites in the series and for the same reasons as well. I loved the Gambit system, especially once you get into taking advantage of it rather than just using it.

Too bad the sequel cut out the Gambit system almost entirely but it improved the story considerably. I always loved FFXII's world though so even if the story didn't go very well I couldn't help but enjoy the variety and beautiful landscapes.

• Brohoof 1

Pokémon: Generation II. It's the weakest one imho. u_u No one ever says generation two is their favorite gen, and there's a reason for that.

Um... Where have you been?

I've been claiming that Generation II is my favorite for like 13-14 years now, and I most certainly am not anywhere near alone, and never have been.

• Brohoof 5

I've been claiming that Generation II is my favorite for like 13-14 years now, and I most certainly am not anywhere near alone, and never have been.

Gen II is probably my favorite too. UuU
  • Brohoof 1

Gen II is probably my favorite too. UuU

whelp. I've been proven wrong.

Still, not my favorite. It was great to travel both regions but I disliked Gold and Silver. That being said, Johto is not my least favorite region. I loved HeartGold.

This is kind of hard to pick, but Star Fox's worst release was Star Fox Command, without a doubt. For Sonic, probably Sonic '06. :huh:

I still wanna play Command. It's the only one besides the SNES game I haven't played in the series. I can't wait for them to reveal the new one.

I still wanna play Command. It's the only one besides the SNES game I haven't played in the series. I can't wait for them to reveal the new one.

Do yourself and don't play it, it's a complete disgrace to the series. :huh:

I think its a tie between FFXIII-2, and SimCity (the fifth one) 

TBH, i felt the quality of the FF games began to gradually drop off after IX, not only in story, but in gameplay as well, with an exception of XII which is one of my favourites in the series. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED

Discordian, on 12 Nov 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Do yourself and don't play it, it's a complete disgrace to the series. :huh:

I disagree, aside from the awful story(I know Starfox games aren't the strongest in the story department but geez), I thought it was a very fun game that constantly replayed

I disagree, aside from the awful story(I know Starfox games aren't the strongest in the story department but geez), I thought it was a very fun game that constantly replayed

Well, I mean you're entitled to your own opinion, bro. I'm just saying, it's one of the worst games I've played.

whelp. I've been proven wrong.

Still, not my favorite. It was great to travel both regions but I disliked Gold and Silver. That being said, Johto is not my least favorite region. I loved HeartGold.

Eh to each their own. Silver was the version that truly got me into the games.

• Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark. Not neccessarily a bad game, but it's really underwhelming compared to the other Transformers games I have played.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Now I don't dislike Sigma. I actually really like it. Just not as much as the other Ninja Gaiden games.
  • Star Wars The Force Unleashed. Out of all the Star Wars games I've played, this one is perhaps the most boring one (Which is a shame since you can use two lightsabers in that one) but I still enjoyed it.
  • Devil May Cry. The first one. I just didn't like the clunky controls and the wonky camera.
  • Most 2D Sonic games. Yeah, you heard me. I just don't like how they play. I'll stick to Shadow The Hedgehog. Yeah, you heard me.

The DiC English dub of the original Sailor Moon anime is terrible and horrible.

The Cloverway English dub of Sailor Moon is also terrible and horrible. But I am inclined to enjoy it more because they kept the original Japanese music.

Pokemon Blue. While I appreciate it for introducing me to RPGs way back in 1999 and it being one of the first video games I beat on my own, the game mechanics, in part to its long development cycle, with many ideas scrapped and the code never removed or general programming errors (like Ghost not affecting Psychic), are horribly broken, the game is horribly glitchy (I actually lost a few saves to a glitch in 2001) and the game is full of serious balancing issues. Like Ghost not affecting Psychic like it's supposed to and Gust, Karate Chop and Bite being Normal instead of Flying, Fighting and Dark (although, Dark wasn't a thing until gen II.)

Final Fantasy XIII. Must I say anything?

Half-Life: Source. It's just a port of the first Half-Life to the Source engine. No updated textures or polygon counts, just physics and different lighting and water effects. At least Black Mesa is a proper Source-based remake of the original game, but that's still incomplete.

Pokemon: Advanced Generation. It killed the Pokemon anime for me. Same shit, new characters, and now with more ridiculous plot points! Like Pikachu at risk of exploding because it was exposed to a magnet in the previous episode before the series began.

How about Superman Returns and Man of Steel? I thought both of them missed the mark. But both in their own uniquely bad ways. I could go into it more if anyone disagrees or wants to comment on my view but for now I'm just going to leave it at that. They sucked.

James Bond:

Diamonds are Forever (1971)

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

Die Another Day (2002)

Quantum of Solace (2008)

Star Trek (TV):

Star Trek: Voyager

Star Trek: Enterprise

Star Trek (movies):

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

Star Wars

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2001)

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Thomas & Friends:

1. Series 13-16: Series 8 through 12 ranged from average to really bad. That said, the twelfth showed that the series might've been getting the series back on track. Series 13 through 16, however, made 8-12 look like a godsend. The stories are exactly the same every single time. The concept of railway realism and safety were completely disregarded, and continuity didn't exist. None of the characters were in character. Several of the newer characters were absolutely obnoxious. None of the scripts had any heart in them. The lone saving grace was the wonderful animation, but that couldn't save it.

Digimon:

1. Adventure 02: I haven't watched Fusion/Xros Wars, and I know little about it to formulate the quality. I only watched the first five seasons, and 02 is easily the worst of them all. Plot holes are everywhere and broke the storyline. Many characters tended to be flat or unlikeable. (I grew to really dislike Yolei and Kari as a result of how they behaved in the dub. The only character to truly flesh out was Ken Ichijouji.)

The Around-the-World arc was absolutely pointless and helped nullify one of the most important symbols of being a DigiDestined: the potential of doing great things from a select few. The finale is easily the worst of them all thanks to its anticlimactic conclusion and pointless epilogue. Seriously, everyone worldwide got a Digimon? Way to kill the arc.
  2. Frontier: This is known as the series to rip off Power Rangers. Although I'm not sure if that's the case, there's plenty to go wrong. Zoë Orimoto, the only female of the five, never truly made a name for herself, only winning one battle while the other four gathered much more screentime.

After the Unified Spirit Evolution, Takuya and Koji were the only DigiDestined to fight the Royal Knights while Tommy, J.P., Koichi, and Zoë were relegated to cheerleaders for the last third of the series. The concept of threatening both the Human and Digital Worlds was becoming a cliché at that point, so it was refresing to combat merely for the safety of the Digital World. That concept was wiped away near the end.

Sonic the Hedgehog:

1. Sonic '06: Once commonly called Sonic the Disaster, this game is factually horrible. While not worse than Sonic Genesis GBA, this was one of the biggest titles in Sonic history, coming out for the 25th anniversary. Instead, the game is horribly glitchy with so many terrible level design concepts. Each character is mega slow. The in-game graphics are actually pretty poor for a next-gen game at the time.

And (oh, my God!) the story is ATROCIOUS!! Nothing made an ounce of sense. Every character was flat or out of character. The 4Kids' voice acting was easily at its worst here. The ending openly admitted how FUBAR'd the script truly was.
  2. Shadow the Hedgehog: A guilty pleasure, but it really is terrible. It takes the stereotypical view of being "dark" and "edgy" and treats it as a serious threat. Shadow the Hedgehog's story branches are what ifs that never went anywhere, forcing the viewer to rely on headcanon to solve the gaps. This game adds characters swearing "just because." If you don't want to rely on shooting the "black creatures," good luck, because the game is totally slanted to you shooting at your opponent; not doing so will cost you a few lives.

Stereotypes are bad, kids. Shadow the Hedgehog is one of the most stereotypical games I've ever played, and it deserves the hatred it gets.
  3. Sonic Genesis (GBA): A worse game than '06, and it hurts just as bad because Sonic 1 (the most classic Sonic game) is literally unplayable.
  4. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric: The newest Sonic game on the Wii U. Already, so much went wrong.
    1. The gameplay has no value. Most of Sonic's games aren't actually that fast. They require plenty of precision and it's fast-paced, but Sonic isn't that fast. But the sense of speed is needed, and Sonic runs really slow. When he reaches the speed sections, it's completely monotonous with little player intuition. The platforming itself is very basic. Like the Wewhog, the combat gameplay is repetitive and takes way too long.
    2. Very glitchy, and the framerate is very inconsistent to the point of impacting the player experience.
    3. With this kind of console, the graphics should look very impressive. Instead, they look like something you can find on the PS2. Sometimes the graphics get even worse.
    4. Shadow's presence is pointless, only adding him briefly to pander to the crowd.
    5. Story itself is bland, and the characters talk all the time. Even the soundtrack, usually one thing the series does so well, is a miss.
  5. Sonic Labyrinth: The worst Classic title on the Game Gear. Take the past pace of the gameplay and make Sonic so slow.

My Little Pony:

1. Tales: The start of Hasbro pandering to girls rather than treating people altogether with genuine respect. It takes the concept of "realism" and twists it so stereotypically. Painfully flat and unlikeable characters, the setting and overall premise is completely unpleasant, and only people with a sense of humor as twisted as Family Guy would truly find this shit funny. All the cruelty demonstrated in Tales is glorified and often celebrated. If one character is cruel, the other will try to be just as cruel in return, implying that being a jerk is a-okay. Also, the animation is really terrible even during the era of low-budget TV. Concerning the base demographic this show aims for, it treats girls with contempt.
  2. G3: Do I even need to list the reasons why this generation doesn't deserve any praise whatsoever?
    1. Flat, stereotypical characters. It take the concept of cutest characters and treats the concept of femininity with a one-dimensional outlook via very stereotypical characters and blatantly symbolizing color with gender.
    2. Continuity is completely disregarded upon the next episode.
    3. There's no real conflict. Sure, G3 tells the viewer there's a serious conflict, but the sense is so false that without the characters acting like idiots, it would've been over very quickly.

On top of that, the episodes are slice of life, something seen in Tales and FIM. But it treats the genre as if girls can't handle genuine, heartfelt conflict.
    4. None of the characters feel real. They're caricatures. Each is as flat as Flash Sentry.
    5. As a concept, G3 panders to young girls. The premise of the whole generation is a plethora of stereotypes that objectify the people Hasbro claims it speaks for.
  3. G3.5: One of the few things G3 did right was the animation. (The character design is hit-or-miss. To the side, they look fine, but the front view introduces the viewer to the uncanny valley.) G3.5 takes everything from G3 and worsens them.
  4. Equestria Girls: A spinoff of FIM that, like G3, absolutely deserves no praise whatsoever. I already bashed this sexist, antifeminist garbage throughout the forums. Despite being an improvement from the first, Rainbow Rocks didn't improve the spinoff one bit. (The toys are even worse.)
Edited by Dark Qiviut