Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the MLP community really practice Love and Tolerance?

Marine_Vet_Brony

So does this community as a whole really practice Love and Tolerance? As someone who has chance away from the Brony commiunity once before (becuase I think Fluttershy is the worst pony.) I really don't think it does and just give the thought lip service.

So what do you guys think?

• Brohoof 1

I believe we do. We squabble and bicker amongst ourselves, as any group of people are want to do. But we also seek to include others in our fun because our own lives have been so positively effected. We do our best to, even if not preach, which could even be annoyingly evangelistic, we seek rather to live the lessons this show has brought to us. I've seen it at the cons and meetups. Warm, welcoming, and accepting of all viewpoints, of all perspectives, of all walks of life.

What other fandom has multiple charities

You may not see it, but I've bore witness to the good of this show being put into practice and it has given me great faith in my fellow man.  :)

• Brohoof 2

I believe we do. We squabble and bicker amongst ourselves, as any group of people are want to do. But we also seek to include others in our fun because our own lives have been so positively effected. We do our best to, even if not preach, which could even be annoyingly evangelistic, we seek rather to live the lessons this show has brought to us. I've seen it at the cons and meetups. Warm, welcoming, and accepting of all viewpoints, of all perspectives, of all walks of life.

You may not see it, but I've bore witness to the good of this show being put into practice and it has given me great faith in my fellow man.  :)

Glad to hear that the show has restored your faith in Humanity ( I hope you never watch the news then ;) ) I have seen other groups and fandoms raise money and awareness for good causes as well. So for me the charity isn't something exclusive to the Brony community. 

At the end of the day this fandom is made of people, and people can love and tolerate just as much as they can hate and discriminate. I do think we tend to be a little more understanding in general, but to expect every single person who identifies as a Brony to always embody those values is a little naive.

I've always thought the "love and tolerate" mantra to be a bit contrived and disingenuous, personally; it's easy to say, but it doesn't really mean much. If anything, it's become a synonym for "go **** yourself".

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

Glad to hear that the show has restored your faith in Humanity ( I hope you never watch the news then ;) ) I have seen other groups and fandoms raise money and awareness for good causes as well. So for me the charity isn't something exclusive to the Brony community. 

Oh I never lost faith in humanity, this community just validated my faith.  :)

My point wasn't that the brony fandom was the only fandom to give to charity, but that it was remarkable that we do so at all. This isn't just something we do in our off time, we carry it with us. For some of us, it changed our lives in ways that we never could have imagined and we set it's example to all those we meet with naught but our love and a smile.

I think this fandom is made of people, and people can love and tolerate just as much as they can hate and discriminate. I do think we tend to be a little more understanding in general, but to expect every single person who identifies as a Brony to always embody those values is a little naive.

I've always thought the "love and tolerate" mantra to be a bit contrived and disingenuous, personally; it's easy to say, but it doesn't really mean much. If anything, it's become a synonym for "go **** yourself".

I would disagree on that second part, but I do find it notable that the phrase itself is never actually uttered in the show. Perhaps we need a different mantra?  :lol:

Edited by Steel Accord

At the end of the day this fandom is made of people, and people can love and tolerate just as much as they can hate and discriminate. I do think we tend to be a little more understanding in general, but to expect every single person who identifies as a Brony to always embody those values is a little naive.

I always took Love and Tolerant and join the herd mentality with some Bronies as we will love and tolerant you as long you are part of the herd. AKA as long as you think as us.

I would disagree on that second part, but I do find it notable that the phrase itself is never actually uttered in the show. Perhaps we need a different mantra?  :lol:

Like BronyOfJustice above me says, it feels like it's just a counter-troll and not any sort of genuine sentiment, at least when it is most commonly used. Troll says "MLP SUX" and you get a hundred passive-aggressive "We'll 'Love and Tolerate' you ;) " replies.

I don't think a "mantra" is needed. We just need to be good to our fellow humans and everything will work itself out. Anything more than that and we start to cross into "better than thou" levels of moral superiority. It's something that the fandom currently has a problem with when it comes to people who don't "get" the show.

Like BronyOfJustice above me says, it feels like it's just a counter-troll and not any sort of genuine sentiment, at least when it is most commonly used. Troll says "MLP SUX" and you get a hundred passive-aggressive "We'll 'Love and Tolerate' you ;) " replies.

I don't think a "mantra" is needed. We just need to be good to our fellow humans and everything will work itself out. Anything more than that and we start to cross into "better than thou" levels of moral superiority. It's something that the fandom currently has a problem with when it comes to people who don't "get" the show.

I was joking when I suggested a mantra, my point being that "love and tolerate" is never said on the show so it's probably an external appropriation.

I also think our "problem" as you put it, is also hit or miss. Yes, there are bronies who get very indignant, but then you have people like MandoPony who says "if not . . . it's cool.  B) "

I also think our "problem" as you put it, is also hit or miss. Yes, there are bronies who get very indignant, but then you have people like MandoPony who says "if not . . . it's cool.  B) "

If someone shoots 50 arrows at you and it's "hit or miss", the fact that half of the shafts (if we're being generous) land in the grass beside you isn't going to be much of a consolation when you're full of holes.

If someone shoots 50 arrows at you and it's "hit or miss", the fact that half of the shafts (if we're being generous) land in the grass beside you isn't going to be much of a consolation when you're full of holes.

That's a very pessimistic view to take on your fellow fans.  :okiedokielokie: What if it's only 3 arrows?

We DO follow the principals. I've seen it in person, and as long as bronies no matter how small in number do so, we as a whole can always be better.

That's a very pessimistic view to take on your fellow fans.  :okiedokielokie: What if it's only 3 arrows?

We DO follow the principals. I've seen it in person, and as long as bronies no matter how small in number do so, we as a whole can always be better.

I operate on the belief that the Brony fandom is so big and diverse that there's no way everyone can adhere to the tenets of "Love and Tollerance", though I don't doubt many do. The point of my analogy is that every group is representative of the actions of it's members, for better or worse.

• Brohoof 2

I operate on the belief that the Brony fandom is so big and diverse that there's no way everyone can adhere to the tenets of "Love and Tollerance", though I don't doubt many do. The point of my analogy is that every group is representative of the actions of it's members, for better or worse.

If that's the case, we are a loving bunch indeed.

I see your point, I just believe we truly do follow the above appropriation, in spirit if not in name just due to my personal experiences being a part of it since very near the beginning.

Yes and no. There's people who practice it because they believe it's part of being a brony and there's people that don't because they don't feel the need to love and tolerate everything.

Personally, I don't. I'm not going to define my values based on a fandom. If I loved and tolerated naturally then that'd be all well and good but that's not who I am. I've called bullshit on Love and Tolerate from day one because I don't think it's necessary to love or tolerate everyone and everything I come across. Most people aren't worth the trouble and there are some things I'll never be able to tolerate.

• Brohoof 2

Where I've been before I don't see it to an extreme enough to use the coined term "Love and Tolerance"

They tolerate other's existences.. but we all do that regardless

But whenever there's a troll who tries to say ponies are X or Y I don't see them posting a macro image with L&T on it, they either troll back or show their more edgy side (which is amusing)

In general I think you have to tolerate others just to prevent ending up in prison, so I don't think that the community is any special degree or increment more tolerant than others

It all boils down to the individual and how you define "love and tolerance", there are a lot of genuinely nice and welcoming people in this fandom but there are also a lot of very judgmental people who seek to "purify" the brony fandom in a misguided effort to improve its public imagine by trying create a hostile environment to certain aspects of the fandom they do not agree with like cloppers for example. They keep insisting that they are not "one of them" which is a bullshit strawman argument because fans who enjoy the "dark side" of the fandom are no different than any other fan except for what they choose to do in private. There are also a lot of bronies who get way too pushy in trying to "convert" people. I do believe a lot of people when they say that the show has had a positive influence on them but there are also people who go too far and treat it as a sort of religion many of whom are the judgmental people I mentioned.

• Brohoof 1

I've have always practiced love and tolerance even before I knew what the hell a brony was. I do my best to live everyday with no hate in my heart for anyone. Now the community itself i would say mostly yes, there are a few that don't but you can find people that go against the grain in any community

• Brohoof 1

Most of it does. As a whole? Most definitely. Like stated earlier, bronies actually produce charity and help out in fits of kindness and good-will. I also think that whether it's lip service done by some of it's members (or none at all) is irrelevant; i believe that the genuine desire in at least most members is the real deal.

• Brohoof 1

That is a good ideal Steel(That Rhymes!!!). The thing is, is that I support some points of war and even admire aircraft such as the F-14 Tomcat. I Find war horrible but a necessary evil in life. I Mean, I am very upset that Winston Churchill is a hero and yet he ordered a bombing that killed dozens of children. Ian from Final Destination said ''Charles Manson made it to 70, Osama(This was 2006), still kicking, Pimps, vice-presidents, all these people who commited these atrocities, are still alive and well, and yet these girls, who never did anything wrong, never made it to 18, where's the equality in that?'' I agree, why is death unequal? Why do people such as Winston Churchill and Henry S Truman get to live as heroes despite murdering thousands of innocent people? Sorry for being slightly off-topic. But as a brony, I respect love and tolerance and try to make the best use of it as possible. But people make strong bonds even in war. I have a mixed stance on war. I neither love it nor hate it. But people have strong bonds through it. Friendship is Magic, and it helps people get through. Problem is, my aunt and uncle are already having problems. My great uncle who died three years before I was born was a POW in Japan. He could have been taken to Unit 731 and Vivisected. But luckily he didn't. Friendship is better than atrocity.

That is a good ideal Steel(That Rhymes!!!). The thing is, is that I support some points of war and even admire aircraft such as the F-14 Tomcat. I Find war horrible but a necessary evil in life. I Mean, I am very upset that Winston Churchill is a hero and yet he ordered a bombing that killed dozens of children. Ian from Final Destination said ''Charles Manson made it to 70, Osama(This was 2006), still kicking, Pimps, vice-presidents, all these people who commited these atrocities, are still alive and well, and yet these girls, who never did anything wrong, never made it to 18, where's the equality in that?'' I agree, why is death unequal? Why do people such as Winston Churchill and Henry S Truman get to live as heroes despite murdering thousands of innocent people? Sorry for being slightly off-topic. But as a brony, I respect love and tolerance and try to make the best use of it as possible. But people make strong bonds even in war. I have a mixed stance on war. I neither love it nor hate it. But people have strong bonds through it. Friendship is Magic, and it helps people get through. Problem is, my aunt and uncle are already having problems. My great uncle who died three years before I was born was a POW in Japan. He could have been taken to Unit 731 and Vivisected. But luckily he didn't. Friendship is better than atrocity.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

~Gandalf

I think you are stretching this topic's intention by connecting it to war and the morality (or lack thereof) of the Reaper; not to mention my own words. My point was that, while "love and tolerance" as a tenant may not be specifically practiced, I have seen more magnanimity among the fandom than I have hostility. 

Of course people have united in war. People have also united in pursuit of peace. It's not the place of any one person to decide what's right and what's wrong, all we have the responsibility for is that of our own lives and are own ability to help others; however great or small that may be. 

(And don't be confused as to who has which. It was but a Hobbit that ultimately defeated Sauron while the king of Gondor was merely the distraction.)

Edited by Steel Accord

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

~Gandalf

I think you are stretching this topic's intention by connecting it to war and the morality (or lack thereof) of the Reaper; not to mention my own words. My point was that, while "love and tolerance" as a tenant may not be specifically practiced, I have seen more magnanimity among the fandom than I have hostility. 

Of course people have united in war. People have also united in pursuit of peace. It's not the place of any one person to decide what's right and what's wrong, all we have the responsibility for is that of our own lives and are own ability to help others; however great or small that may be. 

(And don't be confused as to who has which. It was but a Hobbit that ultimately defeated Sauron while the king of Gondor was merely the distraction.)

Well I'm not trying to say Bronies have war on other fandoms or stuff like that. It's just that sometimes war has to be justified. My teacher says war is justified by population control and people's ideals. To be honest, I don't know why people justify war. It's not something to be justified. Also, I was trying to say that Death is inequal and that some famous people who were morally good still commited atrocities. Henry.S(His actual name is Harry but Henry is a variant)Truman, Vice-President(and then President) of America, bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing over 240,000 people. Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Britain, carpet bombed Dresden and killed many children while they were doing a lent parade. It's not death that's morally ambiguous. It's the people who live later in life as war heroes and yet have guilt for killing people. Just look at Dan Pink in Doctor Who, he survived a war but accidentally killed a child. Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Dunkirk were not accidents. They were deliberate acts of aggression to kill people. However, lest I say that Truman killed 245,000 people. And Churchill only killed several hundred thousand. Hitler killed millions of jews. So at least he is definitely recognized as an evil person. Every political leader ends up causing a justifiable or unjustifiable act that kills children and innocent civillians. So it's all pretty much a Black and Gray world. With real life Black and Gray Morality issues. But as Ian said in Final Destination 3. ''What's the equality of death if innocent people die young and people who murder live old?''. Perhaps it puts a new meaning to the term Age before Beauty. Also, sorry for going slightly(or not slightly) off-topic. Also Ian, if you were at a funeral now. You can now say that Charles Manson made it to 80.

Edited by 41Hornet

Well I'm not trying to say Bronies have war on other fandoms or stuff like that. It's just that sometimes war has to be justified. My teacher says war is justified by population control and people's ideals. To be honest, I don't know why people justify war. It's not something to be justified. Also, I was trying to say that Death is inequal and that some famous people who were morally good still commited atrocities. Henry.S(His actual name is Harry but Henry is a variant)Truman, Vice-President(and then President) of America, bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing over 240,000 people. Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Britain, carpet bombed Dresden and killed many children while they were doing a lent parade. It's not death that's morally ambiguous. It's the people who live later in life as war heroes and yet have guilt for killing people. Just look at Dan Pink in Doctor Who, he survived a war but accidentally killed a child. Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Dunkirk were not accidents. They were deliberate acts of aggression to kill people. However, lest I say that Truman killed 245,000 people. And Churchill only killed several hundred thousand. Hitler killed millions of jews. So at least he is definitely recognized as an evil person. Every political leader ends up causing a justifiable or unjustifiable act that kills children and innocent civillians. So it's all pretty much a Black and Gray world. With real life Black and Gray Morality issues. But as Ian said in Final Destination 3. ''What's the equality of death if innocent people die young and people who murder live old?''. Perhaps it puts a new meaning to the term Age before Beauty. Also, sorry for going slightly(or not slightly) off-topic. Also Ian, if you were at a funeral now. You can now say that Charles Manson made it to 80.

You apologize, yet you still deviate. I will not further the discussion because I do wish to keep this on topic. I will summarize by simply saying that I disagree with you, and ​vehemently at that. If you wish to discuss the wider scope of morality with me, send a PM.

As it applies to us though, I have faith and have seen evidence that our fandom is very moral, accepting and willing to tolerate ideas that would be met with hostility outside. Hard subjects such as the ones you brought up have been discussed civilly just as often, if not more so, than they have with bitterness.

"Love and tolerate" may still be used more for snark, but the idea itself is well within practice.

"Love and Tolerate" are just empty words that anyone can spew out.

Anyone can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

They are extremely misguiding aswell. Should we Love and Tolerate everything and anything?

Edited by Guest