Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the MLP community really practice Love and Tolerance?

Marine_Vet_Brony

Lmao no.

If we can't even accept the fact that there are people in the fandom who are into whacking it off to ponies from the show then we sure as hell don't practice Love and Tolerance.

It's such a bullshit term. Sorry for the language.

I personally think something that practice like that in this fandom is a true Rarity (Bad joke is beyond bad) It's not because the fandom is filled with jerks, it's just that people can be vile, cruel, vicious beings. This fandom is nicer than most others, sure, but all of us can only "Love and tolerate" so much until we just break. Thinking that we are pure and that we can do no wrong is just a strong case of naivety. Once again, it's not because we're dickheads. It's mostly because this fandom consists of people, and people will be people.

I certainly think some people within the fandom do, but I don't think the entire community as a whole does. Which goes for just about any community that broadly claims to hold to a certain belief or idealthere will always be some people who do and some who don't.

I think so. If you look at a lot of other communities or networks, there are so many people out there who are just shitheads. I admit, I only really have this, specific, community as a reference point (MLP Forums) but this is one of the most accepting and friendliest communities I think I've been a part of. Most other communities I've been involved with have either been an essential non-presence (nobody ever posting,) very cutthroat and hostile toward each other, or full of drama. I know that I've gotten into arguments with people here, but typically, it's been because the topic was made for that purpose, as opposed to picking fights. I only know of one actual fight I got into with anyone here, and I admit, I was being a jerk. And I PMed the person and we both apologized and made up... to my recollection... We're all human, meaning that we're emotional beings, so sometimes, we all let our emotions get the better of us. But on the whole, I've encountered very little drama and I don't think I've ever seen anyone outright attack someone else.

So, yeah, I find the MLP community to be very welcoming and accepting. I really like this community because of it.

• Brohoof 1

Hard to say. MLP Forums is just a fraction of the larger community. There are plenty of other dedicated websites and sub-communities such as on tumblr, facebook, twitter, reddit, linkedin... Then there's also to consider that not all fan sites are in English. I think you get the idea.

Just be wary that it only takes at most a few assholes to ruin your day if not the entire experience. Honestly, you really cannot judge an entire community like an individual -- especially one as large as this -- because you're either going to end up very naive, very cynical or very confused. 

All communities, i.e. aggregates of people, tend to show some recurring patterns. When you have such an aggregate, one thing you can surely expect is that emotional reactions rather than reasoned responses will always drown out the latter. Why? It all hinges on whether or not any interaction you make with a community emotes (heck, or even inspire) people to respond. It's obvious when looked at in hindsight because people only post when they give enough of a damn either about the topic itself or what they have to say about it. Think of it this way, who is more likely to post a response? The person who agrees with you but otherwise has nothing to add or the pretentious prick who is eager to call you out on "BS" and "put you in your place"?

From what I've heard, the larger a community body, the more grotesque this observation is capable of manifesting itself. I vaguely remember a saying that went something like "there is no discussion on tumblr, only feels." This is partly why half-baked (if not outright preposterous) but provocative ideas spread further and faster than ones that are impartial and logically sturdy but otherwise lacking in their luster.

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 1

Well I'm not trying to say Bronies have war on other fandoms or stuff like that. It's just that sometimes war has to be justified. My teacher says war is justified by population control and people's ideals. To be honest, I don't know why people justify war. It's not something to be justified. Also, I was trying to say that Death is inequal and that some famous people who were morally good still commited atrocities. Henry.S(His actual name is Harry but Henry is a variant)Truman, Vice-President(and then President) of America, bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing over 240,000 people. Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Britain, carpet bombed Dresden and killed many children while they were doing a lent parade. It's not death that's morally ambiguous. It's the people who live later in life as war heroes and yet have guilt for killing people. Just look at Dan Pink in Doctor Who, he survived a war but accidentally killed a child. Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Dunkirk were not accidents. They were deliberate acts of aggression to kill people. However, lest I say that Truman killed 245,000 people. And Churchill only killed several hundred thousand. Hitler killed millions of jews. So at least he is definitely recognized as an evil person. Every political leader ends up causing a justifiable or unjustifiable act that kills children and innocent civillians. So it's all pretty much a Black and Gray world. With real life Black and Gray Morality issues. But as Ian said in Final Destination 3. ''What's the equality of death if innocent people die young and people who murder live old?''. Perhaps it puts a new meaning to the term Age before Beauty. Also, sorry for going slightly(or not slightly) off-topic. Also Ian, if you were at a funeral now. You can now say that Charles Manson made it to 80.

War is hell I know that from personal experience but their times when talking will not solve problems between people and nations. Sometimes violence is the only answer to a conflict.

My general rule is to love and tolerate anything/anyone who practices love and tolerance themselves, or at least has the capacity to do so. I am certainly willing to tolerate just about any non-violent belief or practice a person/community may have.

I think this community does practice it, and promotes it, from what I have seen. And anything that promotes "love and tolerance" is very valuable, in my book.

LOL.

Bronies? Love and tolerate? Haha, please.

The phrase of "luv and toilerate" is usually used to hide the persons feelings behind a false comment, for instance if one person was to ridicule a person in a thread constantly and it hurts that person emotionally they can simply say "love and tolerate" so that they appear that they don't care.

LOL.

Bronies? Love and tolerate? Haha, please.

The phrase of "luv and toilerate" is usually used to hide the persons feelings behind a false comment, for instance if one person was to ridicule a person in a thread constantly and it hurts that person emotionally they can simply say "love and tolerate" so that they appear that they don't care.

Depends on how it's used. You can say and mean it, it can be used to appeal to a person and gain their sympathy. Is it not true that trolls harass people to get a negative reaction out of them? If you don't feed the trolls, they'll starve. And plenty of people have changed their outlook, people who before were very hateful and distrusting.

It's easy to say "it's all bullshit" but if everyone had that outlook, nothing good could ever happen. Everyone should at least try to practice it, even after they fail. The remarkable thing about all of this, is that in some way it's made it "cool" or popular, the whole "love and tolerate" thing. I'd hate to see people lose all faith in that.

Bronies could be compared to a disease. If you're affected by it, you're trying to spread your virus onto others. Some people tend to be immune to this virus so you end up giving up and look for a different target. I have noticed it occasionally, people falling in love with eachother because they're both bronies (or Brony and Pegasister whatever). It unites them and creates a bond, maybe even a shared hobby. Bronies tend to either isolate themselves from non-bronies or usually tend to try to convert the non-bronies into one of them. If not compared to a virus, let's compare them with your average zombies instead. The slogan Love and Tolerance shows love within the community and tolerance outside of the community. Tolerance basically means not agreeing but at the same time not doing anything, thus ignoring.

I think they do practise Love and Tolerance but not in a way it was intended to be?

PS: Note that most of it is generalization and sarcasm. I do believe that this community does try to convert people into the group (for an apparently good reason) but has a policy of defense when confronted with non-bronies or otherwise known as "haters".

It sure as hell doesn't, I can't even begin to remember how much hate I got from Bronies when I said Luna is my least favorite pony. Bronies do not "love and tolerate," if anything they do the exact opposite. If you dare have a different opinion from the popular opinions in this fandom, be prepared to get some angry messages. Besides, love and tolerate seemed to be a joke in the first place, and that's exactly what it is in the fandom, a joke. 

• Brohoof 1

Bronies could be compared to a disease. If you're affected by it, you're trying to spread your virus onto others. Some people tend to be immune to this virus so you end up giving up and look for a different target. I have noticed it occasionally, people falling in love with eachother because they're both bronies (or Brony and Pegasister whatever). It unites them and creates a bond, maybe even a shared hobby. Bronies tend to either isolate themselves from non-bronies or usually tend to try to convert the non-bronies into one of them. If not compared to a virus, let's compare them with your average zombies instead. The slogan Love and Tolerance shows love within the community and tolerance outside of the community. Tolerance basically means not agreeing but at the same time not doing anything, thus ignoring.

I think they do practise Love and Tolerance but not in a way it was intended to be?

PS: Note that most of it is generalization and sarcasm. I do believe that this community does try to convert people into the group (for an apparently good reason) but has a policy of defense when confronted with non-bronies or otherwise known as "haters".

I'm the opposite of that. In real life I tend to stay from Bronies since I find the, intolerant of non brony stuff. While the non-bronies are tolerant. They don't care that I like ponies. Also I don't try to convert people. If you like the show that is cool and if you don't that is cool as well.

I'm the opposite of that. In real life I tend to stay from Bronies since I find the, intolerant of non brony stuff. While the non-bronies are tolerant. They don't care that I like ponies. Also I don't try to convert people. If you like the show that is cool and if you don't that is cool as well.

To be honest with you, I'm like that as well but I was getting at the majority or should I say the significant amount of bronies representing the fandom who are mostly acting like this. I even got some friends shoving down their MLP stuff down my throat to the point where I'm close to saying: Just stop already.

It's okay to like the show and all but some people make too much of a deal about it.

• Brohoof 1

I think it should be an important part of being in this fandom. I mean if you watch the show but don't believe in the principles behind it then you're missing the point. Then again some people are here just to make sexist jokes, hang out with fellow guys, and buy into memes and maybe they are just as entitled to be here. There will always be some people like that but it takes a little more strength to be thoughtful and kind.

Some do, some don't. I'd say most bronies do, but still there are some that just like ponies for fuck sake, and don't take it too serious. And some only do it for attention, but those are more the younger ones, the teenagers. They don't really care about context and stuff. 

Oh my gosh kill it!

That phrase has been beaten to death with over-generalizations that you no longer hear it so much.

I think so, considering most people on here respect each other's opinions and thoughts (unless you're in the debate pit, LOL!). I'm sure there are times when opinions clash and there isn't much tolerance...

Did anything I just said make sense :wacko:?

As one of the users on the first page said, the "love and tolerance" slogan was originally just a form of anti-trolling. That said, I think this community does do that... to an extent. It is certainly not perfect, as there have been bad instances that would be typical in other fandoms, but I've encountered a lot of nice people in the MLP community.

Edited by Gernia

I think its a good group but you still

get those odd apples to bad ones and all, but

you will find that in any group,  from net

to real life.  

This is one of the more open and nicer fandoms

I have been part of but I have seen a few flamers.

Here's something I know about this community: The brony fandom is my true home. I know it shouldn't be because there's no purpose, or maybe I'm being to hard on this, but this is my true home. Now, me being a 19 y/o African American man isn't what I am 100% proud of, but being a brony means that I have found my true identity. As far as the public community goes, forget it. I don't care about the public, I don't even care about certain people. Do you know why I say that? 

Ferguson, Missouri. A black teenager, Michael Brown, an UNARMED teenager was shot to death by not another gang member, not a local killer, but a police officer. A police officer. What that caused is the injustice of this dead society that we're all in now, and no one is too different to open their eyes to realize we're all brainwashed. And ever since his death, protesters spread like wildfire, media coverage is baffled, and the public are just untrustworthy. It's all bland, and me saying that makes me feel like I'm a spawn of Satan uncovering the truth to the blinded eyes of society. I have no trust in people, only to my family, and my 1 friend. 

In, 2011, when I saw My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I never have experienced a show that was for :little girls" like My Little Pony, but the show came to me as if it grabbed ahold of my hand and sent me to a world of pony goodness. And when I heard about the movement of fans of My Little Pony called "bronies", at first I was kind of skeptical, but I was okay with it. However, in 2013, I was easily depressed about not attending to brony gatherings because not only that I'm isolated from other bronies, I have no job and I certainly have no car, which is a good thing to me because of daily car accidents. It's still the same thing I grew tired of to this day, and now I'm in adult transitional school where disabled people are looking for a career. BTW, I'm autistic and I was also diagnosed with Aspergers, so I have difficulties with social interaction, and that's my main issue from my parents because they're not familiar with bronies, which seems reasonable, if you want to explain and show them what bronies are capable of, IF THEY CAN UNDERSTAND ME!!!

My main provocative with my brony life is that no matter what I do, draw, listen to music, play games, read, ride my bike in a skeptical ghetto neighborhood, nothing will ease the pain of isolation of my kind of people, and I've talked to a psychiatrist about my problem, but nothing seems to work, even to local meetups I can barely get in touch with those people because they're far away from me. So my answer to this topic: It helps a LOT of people with love, but it's not going to help my problems about my social life as a brony..........ask_depressed_fluttershy__2_by_bobdash10

Here's something I know about this community: The brony fandom is my true home. I know it shouldn't be because there's no purpose, or maybe I'm being to hard on this, but this is my true home. Now, me being a 19 y/o African American man isn't what I am 100% proud of, but being a brony means that I have found my true identity. As far as the public community goes, forget it. I don't care about the public, I don't even care about certain people. Do you know why I say that? 

Ferguson, Missouri. A black teenager, Michael Brown, an UNARMED teenager was shot to death by not another gang member, not a local killer, but a police officer. A police officer. What that caused is the injustice of this dead society that we're all in now, and no one is too different to open their eyes to realize we're all brainwashed. And ever since his death, protesters spread like wildfire, media coverage is baffled, and the public are just untrustworthy. It's all bland, and me saying that makes me feel like I'm a spawn of Satan uncovering the truth to the blinded eyes of society. I have no trust in people, only to my family, and my 1 friend. 

In, 2011, when I saw My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I never have experienced a show that was for :little girls" like My Little Pony, but the show came to me as if it grabbed ahold of my hand and sent me to a world of pony goodness. And when I heard about the movement of fans of My Little Pony called "bronies", at first I was kind of skeptical, but I was okay with it. However, in 2013, I was easily depressed about not attending to brony gatherings because not only that I'm isolated from other bronies, I have no job and I certainly have no car, which is a good thing to me because of daily car accidents. It's still the same thing I grew tired of to this day, and now I'm in adult transitional school where disabled people are looking for a career. BTW, I'm autistic and I was also diagnosed with Aspergers, so I have difficulties with social interaction, and that's my main issue from my parents because they're not familiar with bronies, which seems reasonable, if you want to explain and show them what bronies are capable of, IF THEY CAN UNDERSTAND ME!!!

My main provocative with my brony life is that no matter what I do, draw, listen to music, play games, read, ride my bike in a skeptical ghetto neighborhood, nothing will ease the pain of isolation of my kind of people, and I've talked to a psychiatrist about my problem, but nothing seems to work, even to local meetups I can barely get in touch with those people because they're far away from me. So my answer to this topic: It helps a LOT of people with love, but it's not going to help my problems about my social life as a brony..........img-3291850-1-ask_depressed_fluttershy__

Don't bring Brown into this. He attacked a cop and tried to take his gun. Regradless of your race and if you are armed or not, if you do that a cop will shoot you. Why do people think you can only use deadly force if the other person is armed?

Some of us do, some of us don't. I do... I don't hate one pony for any reason... you could kick me in the balls, set me on fire and take Luna from me... sure it would hurt me and make me cry like crazy but I'll still love you with all my heart and soul... because that's just who I am...