Banner by ~ Zero

Do rocks grow on a rock farm?

HereComesTom

...Believe it or not, I think they might!

Let me back up a bit.  Some things I've noticed from the show are the gems in Equestria have some huge differences from gems IRL.  Equestrian gems tend to be enormous in comparison with most gems on earth, they can be found in shallow soil, and they come out of that soil looking like they've already been cut and polished.  Real gems are tiny (the biggest you'll find in most jewelry stores is the size of a man's thumbnail), they're found deep in igneous rock deposits, and they tend to look like dirty pebbles until they're cut and polished by human industry.

So...why so many differences?  I figure it's because latent magic in the soil causes ordinary elements like Aluminum and Oxygen to come together to form sapphires and rubies---and other elements to form other gems, e.g. carbon to form diamonds, beryllium into emeralds, silicon into citrines and amethysts, etc.  The magic in the soil must naturally stimulate the growth of crystals, which explains the size, depth, and shape of the gems in Equestria.  Also, if that gem-building magic waxes and wanes with the seasons (and it probably would), then there literally can be a "Sapphire Season"!  (Remember Spike's line about Sapphire Season from Super Speedy Cider Squeezy?)

Of course...why should that magic just affect gems and not other types of rock?  Especially when rock farms are canon.  It makes sense that, if latent magic in the soil can cause the growth of rocks, that ponies would find a place where a lot of rock growth is happening, and then they'd use that aspect of nature to make those rocks grow the way they need them to so they can be used for landscaping and building materials---which is, indeed, what Pinkie's family's rock farm sells rocks for, according to her chapter book.

All this make a little too much sense to me.  Even if these thoughts never passed through any of the writers' minds, it just adds up a little too well.  I'm hoping I can get to use this worldbuilding in a game I'm working on.

Anyone else agree/disagree with this?

• Brohoof 2

Badges

I grew up in the sticks, many of my friends & classmates lived on working farms.  The freezing & thawing of the earth brings up loose rocks (It's been so long since I took geology, I forget what the process is called.  But, I've seen it & it's true)  At times, any farm SEEMS like a rock farm.

A better question might be "What do they use them for?"  Pinkie mentioned Maud teaching her how to make "rock candy"  Pinkie just being Pinkie?  Maud seemed to accept it.  IRL, there is such a thing as rock candy but it is NOT made with rocks.

Episode 23  Are Pinkie's folks Amish?  Or, are they just going for a "Little House on the Prairie" look?

No way, silly filly. Rocks don't grow on Rock Farms! But, I bet the "farm" term signifies that the rocks are harvested there. Perhaps crushed for gravel? Something like that, I'm sure. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in episode 23, it sure looks like a ton of rocks on that farm.  In Maud Pie, Pinkie is shown to be pretty clueless about rock piles & avalanches. Amazingly clueless for somebody raised on a rock farm.  In episode 65, she can't handle AJ's farm either.  OK, I can see her not knowing how to "buck" trees. They don't do that on rock farms, how would she learn?  But, pulling a plow & fixing a barn should be universal.  Maybe she left the farm, in part, because she was totally inept at it?  

I don't think that rocks actaully grow in Equestria.

I know that the magical world of techni-color talking ponies differs from our world in a lot of ways, but I think that rocks are only collected, distributed, etc. on rock farms rather than actually grown.

Rocks don't GROW on a rock farm...they ROLL!  Get it...Rock and Roll!

Rocks migrate to that area, and have to be "hearded" and then taken care of "harvested" in a similar way that animals are harvesting IRL....although I can't see rocks being "butchered"...just sold...

• Brohoof 1

though it isn't canon, Fallout  Equestria offered a pretty good theory on how rock farms work. :squee:

I think their theory was a little more realistic than yours. sorry!

but that doesn't mean you're wrong, who knows! Maybe they'll tell us in an interview or season five.

somepony needs to bring this up at the next con. 

Rocks don't GROW on a rock farm...they ROLL!  Get it...Rock and Roll!

Rocks migrate to that area, and have to be "hearded" and then taken care of "harvested" in a similar way that animals are harvesting IRL....although I can't see rocks being "butchered"...just sold...

even if you say that, I think we would have seen at least one sentient rock. xD but I like it.

Edited by Lucky Star

though it isn't canon, Fallout  Equestria offered a pretty good theory on how rock farms work. :squee:

I think their theory was a little more realistic than yours. sorry!

but that doesn't mean you're wrong, who knows! Maybe they'll tell us in an interview or season five.

somepony needs to bring this up at the next con. 

even if you say that, I think we would have seen at least one sentient rock. xD but I like it.

Think about all the episodes that take place at night....Bats took place at the Apple's apple farm, nothing for rocks there. The Everfree Forest is out, because rocks don't belong there...they don't travel through a populated area (Read it and Weep)....rocks migrate at night! They avoid any strange pony (Sleepless in Ponyville)....They are very shy and avoid parties (funny headcanon on why Pinkie left). They don't like attention and act like the toys from Toy Story, except around ponies who have the Earth Pony magic that allows them to communicate and care for rocks (hence why Maud is the way she is with Boulder and why Fluttershy can't communicate with them due to the fact they are not 'animals'). The other ponies can't tell, but Pinkie and Maud sure can (Boulder {and Tom} headcanon)....

who said logic was needed? ;)

56570901.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Think about all the episodes that take place at night....Bats took place at the Apple's apple farm, nothing for rocks there. The Everfree Forest is out, because rocks don't belong there...they don't travel through a populated area (Read it and Weep)....rocks migrate at night! They avoid any strange pony (Sleepless in Ponyville)....They are very shy and avoid parties (funny headcanon on why Pinkie left). They don't like attention and act like the toys from Toy Story, except around ponies who have the Earth Pony magic that allows them to communicate and care for rocks (hence why Maud is the way she is with Boulder and why Fluttershy can't communicate with them due to the fact they are not 'animals'). The other ponies can't tell, but Pinkie and Maud sure can (Boulder {and Tom} headcanon)....

who said logic was needed? ;)

img-3283691-1-56570901.jpg

:angry:  how dare you convert me to your head canon!

I really like that! I want it to be true! it would be soo freaking cool! xD

• Brohoof 1

The reason I came up with this theory in the first place is actually because of something I learned about Mars.

Billions of years ago, Mars had a thick atmosphere and a strong magnetic field.  Scientists think it might even have had oceans on it.  But then a huge meteor hit Mars and sunk to Mars' core, and that made Mars lose its magnetic field.  It turns out the magnetic field acts like a honest-to-goodness Star Trek-style deflector shield, in that it keeps the solar wind from blowing away planets' atmospheres.  So when Mars lost its magnetic field, most of its atmosphere blew away, leaving it the barren, lifeless ball of rust we know today.

Now, what this story told me was that taking even one thing away from the way a world works can drastically affect what can and can't happen with that world:  if you take a magnetic field away, life as we know it becomes impossible!  So I figured that adding something to the world, e.g. magic, can drastically affect the way it works, too.

Then I put that together with how gems are way bigger in the show than they are IRL, and came up with this theory of magic-growing-rocks.  Gems especially, but rocks too

though it isn't canon, Fallout Equestria offered a pretty good theory on how rock farms work. :squee: I think their theory was a little more realistic than yours. sorry!

I hope I can find time to read FOE some time!  How long is it?

Badges

The reason I came up with this theory in the first place is actually because of something I learned about Mars.

Billions of years ago, Mars had a thick atmosphere and a strong magnetic field.  Scientists think it might even have had oceans on it.  But then a huge meteor hit Mars and sunk to Mars' core, and that made Mars lose its magnetic field.  It turns out the magnetic field acts like a honest-to-goodness Star Trek-style deflector shield, in that it keeps the solar wind from blowing away planets' atmospheres.  So when Mars lost its magnetic field, most of its atmosphere blew away, leaving it the barren, lifeless ball of rust we know today.

Now, what this story told me was that taking even one thing away from the way a world works can drastically affect what can and can't happen with that world:  if you take a magnetic field away, life as we know it becomes impossible!  So I figured that adding something to the world, e.g. magic, can drastically affect the way it works, too.

Then I put that together with how gems are way bigger in the show than they are IRL, and came up with this theory of magic-growing-rocks.  Gems especially, but rocks too

I hope I can find time to read FOE some time!  How long is it?

47 chapters if you count the epilogue and "ten years later"

EDIT: I mean 49, I forgot the introduction and the prologue. 

Edited by Lucky Star

As to Mars getting whacked.  I hadn't heard that, but I have heard that some scientists think the Earth had a much thicker atmosphere up to the end of the Age of Dinosaurs.  That is why some flying dinos were larger than any modern bird.  They think the Earth got whacked by a really large asteroid which blew off a large part of the Earth's air & started a "nuclear winter", thus killing off the dinosaurs.