Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Crystal Empire's origins can be traced back to G1 (img heavy)

ManaMinori

While many people who joined the pony movement when g4 arrived on the scene seem to shun and or mock the past MLP gens, I find that there's a lot of rich history of worldbuilding amongst the older gens that set the stage for gen 4, and seem to be the origin of many of the places we've seen so far in gen 4.

Just a few examples:

The creation of Crystal Empire- only seen in g4- I believe was brought about by occurrences in G1, as there are numerous ties to artifacts and landscapes there, both during and after Lavan's reign. In G1, the villain (a lava demon) steals princess ponies' magic to turn himself into a crystal creature, so that he can have enough power to to anything he desired. In doing so, he's able to turn the entire landscape to crystal. (which, oddly enough, isn't reversed, when the ponies defeat him) which likely later became the Crystal Empire

Not to mention that when the magic was drained from the princess' magic wands, they were instructed to take them to The 'heart of ponyland'- a magical talisman (which was actually a giant crystal jewel) far beneath the land's kingdom, and the source from which the Princess ponies' wands draw their power, for the magic to be restored, and Lavan could be defeated. To me, this sounds and looks an awful lot like what came to be known as the Crystal Heart residing within the Crystal Empire.

Location, Location, Location!

The landscape across the generations doesn't seem to have changed much (though they have seem to have undergone some name changes- as things often do, even in our world) In Gen 1, there was a volcano that 3 witches lived on, and they'd often leave it to torment ponies in Dream valley or in Flutter Valley. Looking at the map of g4 Equestria, I think it's a safe bet to assume that the G1 volcano is now called Smokey Mountain, Dream Valley is probably Ponyville, now- as it's right in the shadow of a mountain (Canterlot), and Flutter Valley- which was shown to be through a dark forest. Those Ruins coming out from the forest look similar to the stone structures in the Flutter Valley, come to think of it.

There was a river nearby Flutter Valley (because two witches planned on using the water in it to flood the place and disrupt the Flutter Pony's festival). When Baby Lickety Split ran away from dream Valley (which could now be "Ponyville"), she wound up falling into a rocky gorge, which, I suspect is now "Ghastly Gorge", Reeka and Draggle later seems to be seem in a murky, foggy place with lots of dead trees, which could be the Bogg in the Everfree Forest, which back in g1 was known as Shadow Forest, that the gang had to pass through on the way to Flutter valley. Then after the forest, they has to climb up some steep rock walls in a chasm before they reached the valley (Rambling Rock Ridge?)

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

Unicornia is mentioned in G4's “Hearth's Warming Eve”, and is shown as an actual location in G3

so is Ponyville (along with in G2)

Baby Ponies

In “Testing, Testing 123”, a pony by the name and title of “Commander Firefly” is mentioned; presumably the Firefly of G1. (baby Firefly is also, again, seen in the IDW MLP's Micro Comic #8, helping protect Canterlot, in the flashback of Celestia discussing the Lunar rebellion- which was before the Wonderbolts were formed)

1CT29EI.jpg

we also learn that it's not uncommon for a baby pony to have the same name and appearance as its mother (Firefly- baby Firefly/ Hearthrob- baby Hearthrob –--> many ponies in g4 have same names and appearance as past gen ponies. Also, in g4, Pinkie Pie mentions her “Granny Pie”)

In IDW MLP's Micro Comic #8, Celestia introduces some pony fillies and colts to her friend. Amongst these young ponies are baby Surprise, Firefly, and Glory. (within a reasonable timeframe for baby Firefly to be the child of the Firefly in the previous image )

MejqZs5.jpg

Reoccurring villains and events

IDW's Micro Comic's #9 & 10 shows the mane 6 retelling details of their adventures saving the sunstone (which the flutter ponies protected) and fighting giant bees (events that happened in G1)

1_zpsc56c57bf.png

2_zps28790bd1.png

3_zps00b882b7.png

Tirek & Scorpan ('nuff said)

Alicorns

Many seem to think that Alicorns only became a race in addition to the 3 pony types (earth, unicorn, and pegasus) in Generation 4, and though there have been alicorns spotted in the background in several episodes, many dismissed them as animation errors. In the Journal of the Two Sisters, written by Amy Keating Rodgers, though, Luna pretty much confirms that other alicorns (besodes her and Celestia, during their filly years) existed and helped raise them? So other Alicorns that had to have been older than them exist.

Now, what if I said that the alicorn race existed even before G4?

Take a look at Gen 2, My Little Pony Tales. In the episode "Up, Up, and Away", the earth ponies think they see a UFO, which actually turns out to be the Glow n' Show Ponies, one of which is Dazzleglow, an Alicorn.

VhxPWWb.jpg

Discuss:

your thoughts on g1-g3's ponies, villains, and areas all being tied into the same world/ country as g4

Celestia knowing g1's (and likely later gens') ponies, when they were young

Lavan being the one to make the Crystal Empire

potential of Sombra and Lavan coming back and joining forces in MLP season 5

Glow n' show pony alicorns!

Flutter ponies. :)

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

I could probably come up with a headcanon that incorporates all the past gens into the FiM canon, but I won't bother. The IDW comics throw in tributes to things all the time, and the G1 references were obviously among them, but I've never taken them seriously enough to try to use them as canon representation of anything. Still, the idea of G1 working with G4 isn't out of the question. We'll have to find a way to explain why the pony world and human world completely severed ties with one another, and why the humans of the human world ended up looking like Doug rejects, but it's workable.

I could probably come up with a headcanon that incorporates all the past gens into the FiM canon, but I won't bother. The IDW comics throw in tributes to things all the time, and the G1 references were obviously among them, but I've never taken them seriously enough to try to use them as canon representation of anything. Still, the idea of G1 working with G4 isn't out of the question. We'll have to find a way to explain why the pony world and human world completely severed ties with one another, and why the humans of the human world ended up looking like Doug rejects, but it's workable.

sorry you seem to feel the comics aren't canon. ): However, still looking past that, I think you can still see the relationship between areas of the map (and their origins), villains, names, ect through show canon across all the gens.

as for the human world and its severed ties to Equestria, well, that's easy. In gen 1, right in the lyrics of the intro, it says "letting your heart be your guide". This shows in the pilot, when Firefly goes to get help. The human world exists over the rainbow, and the requirement to get a human there is for them to have a pure heart (otherwise if not, expect humans going over to Equestria and making it just as bad as the shit you see going on in Earth everyday) Megan is able to cross the rainbow and back to ponyland, because she genuinely wants to help the ponies.  There aren't many humans like that (even in EQG, the humans there hold grudges, aren't easily forgiving like Equestria ponies, ect) so that could be why Celestia, having predated even the gen 1 ponies, as we see in the IDW comics, severed the bond between the worlds, and rainbows, as we see in gen4, are manufactured in factories and painted over with colors that can be sucked away, rather than being actual 'naturally made' rainbows, to prevent ponies from crossing over one and finding humans that could be brought back and damage their world.

• Brohoof 1

sorry you seem to feel the comics aren't canon. ): However, still looking past that, I think you can still see the relationship between areas of the map (and their origins), villains, names, ect through show canon across all the gens.

as for the human world and its severed ties to Equestria, well, that's easy. In gen 1, right in the lyrics of the intro, it says "letting your heart be your guide". This shows in the pilot, when Firefly goes to get help. The human world exists over the rainbow, and the requirement to get a human there is for them to have a pure heart (otherwise if not, expect humans going over to Equestria and making it just as bad as the shit you see going on in Earth everyday) Megan is able to cross the rainbow and back to ponyland, because she genuinely wants to help the ponies.  There aren't many humans like that (even in EQG, the humans there hold grudges, aren't easily forgiving like Equestria ponies, ect) so that could be why Celestia, having predated even the gen 1 ponies, as we see in the IDW comics, severed the bond between the worlds, and rainbows, as we see in gen4, are manufactured in factories and painted over with colors that can be sucked away, rather than being actual 'naturally made' rainbows, to prevent ponies from crossing over one and finding humans that could be brought back and damage their world.

Whoops. I didn't mean to imply that I don't think the comics are canon. I accept them as B canon. I just never took the subtle references that seriously, that's all. I did appreciate seeing characters like Firefly and Gusty make cameo appearances, mind you. Yeah, connecting the two series isn't out of the question. They are the two better series IMHO. Crazy thought: with the new portal, would Megan turn into a pony if she ever returned? If so, maybe she has shown up without us knowing. On a related tangent, Applebloom wears a similar bow.

What if G1 wasn't the past of G4? What if G1 was alternate universes(similar to the mirror in Equestria girls) that happened to be running along the same time as G4? The Rainbow of Light could be an AU Elements of Harmony, and the Mane Six AU versions of their G1 selves. It would explain the similarities between landscapes, the similarities between ponies, and how the Mane Six could conceivably be having similar adventures as their G1 counterparts in the current day.

• 1 month later...

this is so genius I can't even tell u like the whole brony community should know and discuss this!!! Nightmare Muffin u r a genius to find this!!! :D

Hardly. You're overdoing it.....I just like concocting theories and trying to tie past and current gens together, in ways I think is sound, logically. (and many MLP fans seem to shy away from older gens, and thus, are missing out on a lot of that potential to see how possible it is that the MLP's take place in not only the same world, but how timelines and events can synch up and lead to another)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...