Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

On Wings of Moonlight - A vocal epic orchestral prequel to Lullaby for a Princess

Aurelleah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok. 

Make sure your percussion patterns don't go for so long. It began to become monotonous and I sort of anticipated more changes throughout the song. Also, the volume of your vocals was low for this one. You might need to raise it up because I sort of strained to try to hear them. Also, it needs a little more low-end. Some of those plucked leads could use a little drop of chorus as well, they seem a bit dry. 

All in all, it's a decent listen but it could use some percussion work, fill-in work and a bit of mixing work too. 

Ok. 

Make sure your percussion patterns don't go for so long. It began to become monotonous and I sort of anticipated more changes throughout the song. Also, the volume of your vocals was low for this one. You might need to raise it up because I sort of strained to try to hear them. Also, it needs a little more low-end. Some of those plucked leads could use a little drop of chorus as well, they seem a bit dry. 

All in all, it's a decent listen but it could use some percussion work, fill-in work and a bit of mixing work too. 

I appreciate the feedback, but the mix was good --- The vocals are quiet in places because they get that way in the original song and despite automation and EQing, you can't create vocals from no vocals.

There's plenty of low end, the sub is extremely loud in this song. The lack of low-mids and bass is from lack of mud, it's to allow the percussion and mids to come through clearer, and to allow the bass to smash you in the drop. The drop hits like a truck because of it, if you play this song loudly on a system with a subwoofer, compared to say, chromatica or another of my songs (or any of woodentoaster's earlier stuff) youll be able to notice this song is really clean, the lack of stuff cluttering the low-mids and sub-200hz stuff is the telltale sign of a good mix.

The plucked leads have plenty of reverb on them, and delay, adding chorus to them would cause phasing and would drown out their transients. The transient of the pluck is what makes them so unique

Anyways, I do appreciate you trying to help, but don't worry, I've got this :P

Ok.

It's a nice and relaxing piece.

However, you had a little too much of those blocked chords in there. Why not break some of them up into smooth arpeggios in the lower part of the piano? Maybe start with a blocked chords and then break them up for a flowing feel in the middle section. Then, bring it back to the blocked chords on the upper part of the piano and end?

Your chords were pretty good. I see you stuck around D Major/b minor a lot, using that vi-IV-I-V. Why not try this:

I-vi-IV-III7-vi-IV-I-V

Or

IV-I-vi-V-I-IV-ii-vi-V

Some nice ambient sounds like a peaceful stream of water would certain add to the calm nature of this piece.

All in all, it's a beautiful piece but it could always be tweaked.

I dunno bud, when you make chord progression suggestions for an already finished and published song it kinda comes off as 'oh, I see you've written a song, why didn't you write a different song?'

Edited by Francis Vace
  • Brohoof 1

I dunno bud, when you make chord progression suggestions for an already finished and published song it kinda comes off as 'oh, I see you've written a song, why didn't you write a different song?'

Eh, who knows, sometimes, I think artists go back and maybe change up or even make revamps...

Eh, who knows, sometimes, I think artists go back and maybe change up or even make revamps...

yeah no. Usually established ones don't re-release or completely 100% redo a song because of someone elses opinion, to be honest.

Release day consists of a LOT of work. I'm not gonna re-send a personal email 700 people that I redid a song, or redo a video and waste a notification on my fans' devices, or resubmit to eqd, or completely rework the composition because of a small handful of opinions. I've got a network of very experienced musical artists I regularly consult with for mix feedback when I feel I need it and I make 100% sure that the song is exactly how want it to be for release. When I post a song here, it is 100% finalized complete finished

Again, I appreciate you being active in the music community here, but I make sure to get my feedback from very specific people if I choose to do so at all

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite beautiful. Hopefully I didn't ask before, but what software is that?

FL studio 12 is my daw, the orchestral samples are East West Quantum Leap Hollywood orchestra diamond :)

Sweet! You know what...I may follow in your footsteps and perhaps create a piano piece that reflects the entire MLP FIM series so far...

I wish you the best of luck! It's pretty tough but so rewarding!

• 2 weeks later...

I already have some awesome ideas. It's really just about linking all the arcs together. 

Hope it goes well! Piano pieces can be tricky but it helps if you've played before

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. 

That dubstep percussion gets a little stale after a while. Maybe add a little syncopations to vary it up. 

Those heavy distorted sawtooths drown out the strings as well. Put a little bit more accent on the strings so they could stand out a little more. As a matter of fact, the dubstep group of the song overpowers the orchestral aspect of it quite a bit. 

Your vocals could be a bit more smoother, as there were a few pauses in between some of the words. It could've been your vocoder. 

All in all, it's a decent remix that could use a few tweaks here and there. 

Ok.

That dubstep percussion gets a little stale after a while. Maybe add a little syncopations to vary it up.

Those heavy distorted sawtooths drown out the strings as well. Put a little bit more accent on the strings so they could stand out a little more. As a matter of fact, the dubstep group of the song overpowers the orchestral aspect of it quite a bit.

Your vocals could be a bit more smoother, as there were a few pauses in between some of the words. It could've been your vocoder.

All in all, it's a decent remix that could use a few tweaks here and there.

I thought I said I didn't want feedback and I told you this before? I made the song exactly how I wanted it to sound. If I take feedback from someone they need to be better than me at making music, which is why I get any and all needed feedback before finalizing the mix. You're also listening to a youtube compressed version of the song as opposed to the actual 320mp3 or wav. This song is extremely treble heavy and the strings in fact drown out the synths at parts of the songs but youtube doesn't reflect that as it down samples it.

If you give feedback It should not be comprised entirely of things people did wrong either, otherwise it's just negative. There's a lot of things you can mention went right in a feedback that will encourage people to work on making even better or knowing they did it right.

With all due respect I'll reinforce what I told you before, I'm all professional musician and make sure a song is how it needs to be before release. I know exactly what im doing, and my fancount and income reflects that. I'd appreciate if you didnt critique my work without asking if I even want it critiqued. It's kinda rude and comes across as you saying that you are better at what I do than I am. It doesn't come across as helpful, it comes across as you being hyper critical.

I post here solely so that others can have the chance to enjoy it.

• Brohoof 2

I thought I said I didn't want feedback and I told you this before? I made the song exactly how I wanted it to sound. If I take feedback from someone they need to be better than me at making music, which is why I get any and all needed feedback before finalizing the mix. You're also listening to a youtube compressed version of the song as opposed to the actual 320mp3 or wav. This song is extremely treble heavy and the strings in fact drown out the synths at parts of the songs but youtube doesn't reflect that as it down samples it.

If you give feedback It should not be comprised entirely of things people did wrong either, otherwise it's just negative. There's a lot of things you can mention went right in a feedback that will encourage people to work on making even better or knowing they did it right.

With all due respect I'll reinforce what I told you before, I'm all professional musician and make sure a song is how it needs to be before release. I know exactly what im doing, and my fancount and income reflects that. I'd appreciate if you didnt critique my work without asking if I even want it critiqued. It's kinda rude and comes across as you saying that you are better at what I do than I am. It doesn't come across as helpful, it comes across as you being hyper critical.

I post here solely so that others can have the chance to enjoy it.

Ok, sorry that I oversaw your last time when you said you didn't want feedback. I'm just so used to doing it on a regular basis...

• Brohoof 1

Ok, sorry that I oversaw your last time when you said you didn't want feedback. I'm just so used to doing it on a regular basis...

All good man, thanks for understanding :3 Dont let this discourage you from feedbacking others of course!

• Brohoof 1