Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most pointless Holidays or events

~Sugar Sprinkles~

Valentine's Day;

it's forced to the one you love to give something, why?

and it just makes me feel loner because i have nobody.  :( 

April Fool's Day;

pointless, just pointless and stupid.

Kingsday;  (This is probably only in my country, but we get a free day for it)

We celebrate that our King is king.

Why? P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S

He already does a lot of things to come on the news, so why bother celebrating it?  >_> 

Animalsday; (Again, probably only in my country)

What, why, just WHY?

We kill animals everyday, so why so suddenly a THIS?

Yes, it's fun as a kid because you can get to take your favorite stuffed animal with you, and you don't know that animals get killed,

but after that, it's pointless and very, very stupid.  :maud: 

• Brohoof 1

I think that Valentines Day is the most pointless event. Mostly because it seems to be more of a money grabbing scheme by companies like Hallmark rather than really anything else and because of how seriously some people tend to take the day. I honestly see it as just another February 14th every year.

• Brohoof 2

First of all, I actually enjoyed the Groundhog Day Loop movie, because of the premise of a grouchy guy being unable to get out of the loop until he learns to be a better person.

However, I will agree that the holiday, Groundhog Day is pointless in real life.

Well,I would never call a  holiday  pointless, no matter how strange or unpleasant it is for me at first look, because c'mon , most of the holidays existed and probably will exist in the future. There will surely people who enjoy things  I didn't enjoy , and even I know it is just a matter of my opinion, I still see it difficult to think that something meaningful for someone else could be called "pointless" by me.

I just love, or at least try to love most of the holidays.As Most of the holidays center in positive themes-althought not every holiday has a pleasant origin, but frankly , I don't really care-why not to try to enjoy what our world has left us to enjoy . Anyway, isn't this  the  meaning of our holidays in today world? To enjoy ourselves, and I assume that many holidays may be pointless at first look, even so, as I learn to deal with them, I will try to see the point , and who knows? I am sure that it will not last to  finally enjoy them

@@Wind Chaser, I wish I could give you more hoofs just for the Festivus and Human Fund reference.  Made my day.

I love this thread!  All of these responses are making me so happy!

I'm gonna say ALL HOLIDAYS.  I don't really like the idea of national holidays, because most of them are either over commercialized, were invented to make money in the first place, or are just abitrary social constructs that push us to celebrate something we should never take for granted anyway.  That said, it IS of the utmost importance to have breaks and excuses to kick back, have fun, and celebrate.  I just don't like the idea of the calender telling me when to do that.  People should make their own holidays.  Instead of having specific days when people get work off, they should just give employees more personal days to use when they please.  And in the case of schools, well, I guess they could just pick a few random days a years to designate as "break day," where they just make it a three-day weekend to give kids a break.  But I know that having national holidays does make it convenient for scheduling, so there's that.

What I particularly dislike, though, is the "holiday season"--the whole shopping season crap.  From about November 1st through New Year's, people go into high-stress mode.  Gotta get your stuff for your feasts, gotta decorate, gotta get all your present shopping done.  If you like all that, then more power to you.  What I hate is how people feel pressured to do all of this, like it's a requirement.  And in many cases, the gift-giving seems to be.  That's just wrong.  People are stressed throughout the whole season, and relieved when it's over.  How is that a holiday?  My dad used to put up Christmas lights the weekend after Thanksgiving every year, without fail, just because it was a tradition.  After my brother and I were grown, he would still do it, even though he really didn't want to.  It was what his parents did.  It's just what you do.  Well, thanks to my positive influence, he doesn't bother now.  We now celebrate holidays how we want, where we want, when we want, IF we want!

Another thing I hate about the commercialized holiday season is how f*cking crowded everthing becomes.  We don't need a everybody-buy-tons-of-food-and-stuff-your-face day, and we don't need a everybody-buy-tons-of-electronics-and-Hickory-Farms-gift-boxes-that-nobody-wants-day.  Buy something special for someone you care about when you want to, not when the calender tells you to.  People should just have their own gift giving days, when it has meaning for them.  Then the holidays would be evenly scattered, and you wouldn't have massive crowds.  And Black Friday.  Don't even get me started.  The fact that people DIE every year from mob trapplings on Black Friday makes me ashamed to be a human being.

In other news, WHY ISN'T MY WARFRAME DESKTOP ALERT INFORMER DOING ANYTHING!?  Piece a crap...

• Brohoof 2

Valentine's Day because besides the whole "you shouldn't express that you love someone for just one day of the year", part of it is just another opportunity for companies to make money off of chocolates and flowers and whatever else one would buy.

Groundhog's Day: It doesn't even serve to make people money and its a myth, for a better description, see posts above

Boxing Day: I live in the US, so I don't see the point of this holiday

Thanksgiving Day:  It's not about giving thanks anymore, it's about having an excuse to eat a lot in one night.

Easter: Who cares about the Easter Bunny, and it's just another day where chocolate companies make money.

Columbus Day: Celebrating the man who claimed to find India when he didn't, who enslaved and basically killed off most of the natives. Only reason I can bear this holiday cause I get a day off from school

Christmas: It's largely become about gift-giving and for companies, about making money

If I think of any more, I'll add to this

Edited by VictiniStar101

Arbor Day, what's the point of it again

To help the planet. "The customary observance is to plant a tree. On the first Arbor Day, April 10, 1872, an estimated one million trees were planted"

Mine's Columbus Day

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Groundhog Day is pretty much pointless, because it's based entirely on myth. Don't kid me, regardless of whether a groundhog sees its shadow or not, winter is already over. The last several winters when they've said we'd get six more weeks of winter, I've had to say "Well, those would be the first six weeks of winter".

Edited by Envy

New Years: Just an excuse to get drunk and make an ass of one's self.

Valentine's Day: No one needs a special cue to be loving and romantic.

Arbor Day: Okay, plant a tree if you want. But seriously, a holiday?

Groundhog Day: What's the point? The weather doesn't change because the little furry thing saw his shadow. Nothing changes.

President's Day: Um, lots of presidents have birthdays. They're not special either. It's just an excuse to close the post office when I've got a fistful of letters to send. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

We have a holiday called Ascension Day or Ascension Thursday or something like that, which is kinda pointless for non Christians, but it is a holiday and a day off from work/school.