Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G4 Minty

Zoraxe

Who else would like to see some sort of G4 Minty? Minty was pretty much the only good thing about G3.

Though I suppose Derpy is like a G4 Minty, except cross-eyed and likes with muffins instead of socks.

• Brohoof 1

I love Minty! She's one of my favourite ponies despite the fact that she's not in FIM. I think it would be awesome if they put her in the show. I know there's a G4 blind bag figure of her, so I think it's possible that she'll show up at some point. If she does, I hope she has the same derpy personality as she does in G3 and is still obsessed with socks.

Here's someone's idea of what she could look like:

minty_by_vanillecream-d5eypa2.png

• Brohoof 6

Well no she wasn't, all of G3 sucks. But that doesn't change the fact that I would love to see more recycled older gen stuff made good by the G4 healing spell. Maybe Minty could join the main 6 and be a new element of harmony to spice the show up a little bit. Just a thought.

How do you say that somebody who's only defining character trait is that she likes green is an awesome character.

Edited by Arctofire

i think that by awesome character, they mean the pony that sticks out the most due to her character....seriously, she was the only pony that stands out in G3...and if green is it, than at least that's more than what the others had.

• Brohoof 1

I loved it when Tirek returned, and to see a recuring pony from a previous generation would be awesome. But like all of the main 6 who believe it or not were in the previous gens. Her character would need to be completely rewritten. Maybe somebody who enjoys making sweets, she could be a cousin of Pinkie Pie.

Edited by Arctofire

It is my understanding that Hasbro has some copyright problems with previous generation ponies.  There are also 10 main characters screaming for 26 episodes & a lot of people want to see Sunset Shimmer or Trixie come in.  I have no problem bringing back previous gen ponies (if it's well done & the writers are on a hot streak, so it likely would be)  It's  just I see certain practical problems (I hate it when reality gets in my way -it sucks)  Try it with fanfic & see if it's popular, is my best advice. 

i think that by awesome character, they mean the pony that sticks out the most due to her character....seriously, she was the only pony that stands out in G3...and if green is it, than at least that's more than what the others had.

Well, Rainbow Dash also kinda stood out. But only because RAINBOWS DARLING, RAINBOWS!

• Brohoof 1

Though I suppose Derpy is like a G4 Minty, except cross-eyed and likes with muffins instead of socks.

Yeah, pretty much. Just transplant those same characteristics onto Derpy (even though the generally accepted personality for Derpy is pretty much the same thing already) and I'd be sound as a pound, baby.

It is my understanding that Hasbro has some copyright problems with previous generation ponies. 

I don't believe it was a copyright issue so much as a legal convenience. When the show was created, Lauren Faust wanted to re-use G1 ponies as the mane 6: Twilight, Applejack, Firefly, Sparkler, Posey and Surprise. None of those names were trademarked, however, so Hasbro insisted on some alterations. Twilight became Twilight Sparkle, who, as a "new" creation would be automatically under copyright. Applejack they apparently allowed out of a sense of tradition, as she's the only pony to have been featured in all four generations. The other four became, respectively, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, because those character names had been used in G3 and were already trademarked as far back as 2004 (according to a search of the U.S. patent and trademark office's website).

I don't think there's anything really preventing them from bringing in an updated pony from a previous generation into the show except for one thing: That would be a heckuva lot of ponies, and the show already has a large background cast of characters unique to itself already that fans clamour to see more of.

That said, check out the comics. If you look closely, updated G1 ponies are all over the backgrounds.

• Brohoof 1

Well no she wasn't, all of G3 sucks.

No, it doesn't.

How do you say that somebody who's only defining character trait is that she likes green is an awesome character.

The thing is, this isn't her only trait.
The best thing about Minty, apart from the fact that she's literally the first pony you see in G3, is that after she seemingly ruined everything for everyone in Ponyville, she decided - entirely on her own - to fix everything, replacing Santa, going around the town and giving all the residents of the town the best gifts she can think of - socks - while explaining why she thinks it's the best gift through a pretty song.
Minty is probably the most caring pony of G3. It's Pinkie Pie sans all the craziness, which is lovely.

Edited by Zejgar
  • Brohoof 1

Why is there all this G3 love all of a sudden. It was AWFUL in every single way. Tirek returned because he was a badass and G1 was watchable, and I do want to see more recycled gen stuff. But if any of you actually saw G3 for yourselves you will realize just how painful it was to watch.

Edited by Arctofire

Well, Rainbow Dash also kinda stood out. But only because RAINBOWS DARLING, RAINBOWS

Well Hasbro did keep the Rainbow part.....just not her personality (or you could say they refined it, matured it, and put it in Rarity)

Eh, why not. I'm not too keen on G3, and Minty is a character I'm not too fond of, but I'm always willing to try out whatever MLP:FiM has to offer.

But if any of you actually saw G3 for yourselves you will realize just how painful it was to watch.

You simply must start speaking for yourself.

Why is there all this G3 love all of a sudden. It was AWFUL in every single way. Tirek returned because he was a badass and G1 was watchable, and I do want to see more recycled gen stuff. But if any of you actually saw G3 for yourselves you will realize just how painful it was to watch.

Considering there is a fanclub devoted to all things G3 on these forums, I think it's safe to say that it has it's own set of dedicated fans. :)

• Brohoof 1

I am a fan of FIM, not anything else MLP, and I do not want to get involved with anything to do with MLP back when it sucked.

Honestly, if that is how you feel, that's fine. I'm not a fan of it myself and, as such, I really don't comment on it.

At the same time there are some who actually do prefer G3 over G4, and that's fine as well. To them that generation has its own qualities that appeal to them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Okay alright, G3 fans I will respect you, I understand people have different tastes and we do live in a free society. However I would like to know why you like G3 over G4 because it totally baffles me, Is it to do with the animation, it can't be to do with the story. Is it because you like the toys and prefer the cartoon to be more toy orientated.

G3 fans like what you like, but I want you to know you are a HUGE minority.

• Brohoof 1

As I've said elsewhere, I've been watching cartoons since the 1950s  I watched My Little Pony Tales & My Little Ponies + Friends when they were on free TV around here (Phoenix, Az) Late 1980s, early 1990s.  About equal to say, early Pokémon (with Misty or Amy + Max).  That is, not as good as G4, but not too bad.

I never saw any G3 stuff until after I watched all the G4 stuff & looked it up on the internet.  I started watching A Very Minty Xmas & had to stop after about 5 minutes.  IMO, it is about the level of Barney.  You are too old for Barney, you are too old for G3.  I don't know about the other episodes in the G3 series, but if this is typical I'd avoid them.  Any adult who watches1 is risking their brain exploding.

Bringing in a G3 character is different.  It is all about the treatment & I'd trust the current writers to do it right

I think a 'very minty christmas' is somewhat OK (in a watch it to 'make fun of it', sort of way). But only for Minty. She ruined things by being a clutz and came to the conclusion that she must fix everything with socks, and song to go with it that comes out of nowhere. She is the essence of strange.