Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[dreams] What is the strangest dream you have ever had?

The Last Derp

Well about 5 years back I woke up from a deep sleep laughing. I never wake up laughing.

So the dream was, me and a couple of my cousins were going to cross this big bridge. The bridge didn't even look sturdy so I wasn't going to cross. My cousin was halfway on it when the bridge broke.

We could see the bottom but we didn't see her. All of us yelled out to her and from the corner of my eye I saw her singing "Do you know the muffin man!?"

Never had anything more weird..

Fortunately I keep a dream journal, and I can just copy paste the crazy that are my dreams:

"The Thing that Should not be"
    I was a scientist conducting a forbidden experiment in a trailer-based laboratory; said trailer seemed to be at least partly modeled after that hellhole where I used to live in my waking life.  There was a room with a large cylindrical jar or aquarium bordered by what might have been computers or electronic controls.  This was where we (I say "we" because I do believe I had at least one assistant) were growing a bizarre new organism.  Though it may have taken several different forms during the dream, the only form I recall was that of a long almost serpentine creature with round eyes at random points of its slender body.  It was so long that its "head" was always right next to its tail; as it chose to line the bottom of its jar-like tank.  I admired it momentarily both with curiosity and fear.  I got the impression that our current work was based somewhat on conjecture and formulae from the semi-distant past, and the long since departed spearhead of the original research wasn't very pleased with what we were doing.  Inevitably, of course, things went horribly wrong.  We'd created a creature that we couldn't understand or control, and I think the ghost of the past researcher returned to wreak additional havoc.  However things may have panned out, my sub-conscious kindly gave me a "do over," and the second time around (just before the you-know-what hit the fan) I fled through the back door of my trailer/laboratory into the sparsely populated wilderness on this terrible night.
    Terrified of what I knew was to come, I ran over sand spotted with little tufts of vegetation, through a dense and dark cluster of trees, and ultimately found myself in something I'd describe as a canyon.  Though I had escaped the certain horror of the laboratory itself, the image of the vengeful ghost was still projected in the air over above me like a black and white image on an old movie screen.  Thankfully, I was too far from ground zero for the ghost to do me any harm, and with the daylight came an introduction to new friends.  You see, a hearty band of Canadian loggers and/or racecar drivers (yes, I know it's odd) did all their logging and racing right in this very canyon.  I explained to them about the taboo research I'd so foolishly resurrected and the hateful ghost that, when he was alive, essentially wrote the book on how to conduct the experiment.  I was embraced by the ever-affable Canadians, and this part of my dream ended on an unexpectedly upbeat note.

The vast majority of my dreams are abstract, nonlinear, or otherwise convoluted enough in some way to the point where I could label almost all of them as "strange" in some way. While the tone, content, and nature of my dreams has shifted and changed in many ways throughout the years, this fact has remained the same for my entire life. 

However, there are a few that stick out in my mind as particularly strange for various reasons. Many of them are not appropriate for me to share here due to violence, mature content, and other reasons, but I'll share a few that are. Bear in mind that most of the ones I share will still contain some degree of mature content.

One of the strangest dreams I had wasn't so much strange due to its storyline (although its story was strange and disturbing -- I can't share that part) but due to the fact that I remembered it from beginning to end. I remember most of my dreams in nonlinear pieces, while this was one of the only dreams I've had that was mostly linear. Moreover, the dream had a clear beginning and ending point, and I can't think of any other dreams that had both of those. The nature of these points was fascinating, too. I remember falling asleep, and slowly my vision faded into existence. I was standing on a long sidewalk with two lamp posts on either side of the sidewalk in front of me. I remember feeling that this signified the "entrance" to the dream. I walked between those lamp posts and down the sidewalk into a house, in which the story took place. Later on, I left, walking back down that same sidewalk and through those lamp posts. I don't remember seeing anything beyond the lamp posts on my way out. It's not that I saw nothing: I just didn't comprehend or perceive any existence beyond those lamp posts. As soon as I walked past them my vision dissolved and slowly the image of my blanket moving back and forth over my eyes faded into existence. I had been tossing and turning in my sleep.

Another example of a dream I had several years ago but much more recently than the first example was strange due to how vivid it looked and felt. It felt hyperrealistic. Imagine the "realness" feeling you get when you're wide awake and alert and ratchet that up by 300% and that might be close to what this felt like. Interestingly, the hyperrealistic feeling occurred at a specific moment in the dream: a moment of extreme violence. I can't describe what happened, but prior to that moment I was standing outside a shady-looking compound surrounded by a fence. I remember seeing a kid running who disappeared. The sky was black and everything was rundown, it looked like some kind of post-apocalyptic world. I remember feeling pain and foreboding. It was interesting in that it was both an emotional pain and a "physical" pain. I was then inside the building and looking at a strange machine that I didn't understand. Shortly thereafter I had to witness an act of extreme violence against an animal (not of my doing), and that was when the hyperrealistic feeling occurred. The horror I felt was so extreme it felt both emotional and "physical" which was only amplified by its overall hyperrealistic nature.

Thankfully, not all of my hyperrealistic experiences in dreams were horrifying. I have had many others and most of them were of a violent/disturbing nature, but I had one that was quite the opposite, and I will relate that one. Other parts of this dream were quite violent unfortunately, but for this dream I'm only going to share the good part. The premise was that I had deliberately fallen asleep inside a dream and woke up in an inner dream. I was flying, and it felt wonderful. It was a fascinating mix of being hyperrealistic and hyporealistic: it felt extremely real while at the same time feeling extremely unreal. Such contradictions have appeared in my dreams in various forms. While I was flying I ended up seeing a roller coaster loom up out of a cloud, which was incredible as I love roller coasters.

Another example of a strange dream I had would be one I had earlier this year that I related in this blog post.

This was a non-lucid dream. A different aspect of it may have been somewhat lucid, but I don't have time to type that up as well right now.

This was a very disturbing dream to me, so if anyone can offer any insight as to what it means, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I was in a nuclear wasteland. The sky was black: there was no sun, moon, or stars. However, I will still able to see stuff, somewhat. There was a figure up ahead that looked vaguely like a man, but I couldn't really see him clearly aside from the fact that he was smiling when he said this. He said that some people have trouble understanding how many people actually died in Hiroshima.

Right after he said that, this field of black statues or something appeared. The idea was that they were human, but they did not look human. There were hundreds, maybe even thousands of them. The atomic bomb went off in the distance, and within moments the blast wave came in contact with these figures. Right when it did, they all bent to the right at the exact same time, to the exact same angle. It looked unnatural, like someone trying to bend their leg backward. They made no sound, but a wave of horror washed over me and I had the feeling that they were in extreme pain.

I closed my eyes and covered them with my hands while screaming "PLEASE NO," but that was useless, because I still saw everything clearly when I did that.

There are more parts to this dream, but that was the main part that got to me.

Some other aspects of the dream that I didn't relate in that blog post were quite fascinating as well. I remember a part of the dream in which a few friends of mine and I were flying through our school, and I became semi-lucid. I felt determination to go "somewhere else." I flew out of the door and I remember flying very fast somewhere toward a portal. I remember finding a field and a fence that I may have paused or stopped at. I don't remember whether or not I made it farther than that.

In a similar vein, another strange dream I had was one I had quite recently. I was standing in a street, and I felt myself being drawn up into an invisible portal. However, my dad came running up behind me trying to convince me not to go. I decided to stay since I loved my family. 

Another example of strangeness in my dreams spans two different dreams I had at different times.

In one dream, I don't remember quite what I was dreaming about at this certain moment. All I remember is red steel. Then, I saw a small stationary image of a man in a top hat that gave off a strange vibe of strong unreality and abstruseness. I had a strong feeling that this small image represented something much larger and more complicated. It looked vaguely similar to the man on the Monopoly game boxes, and I had the feeling that it was a living being. I felt a strong physical sensation of being yanked, hard, and my dream disappeared. I was laying in my bed in my room, and I thought I was awake. It felt extremely real in one of the strangest ways I've ever experienced: it didn't have a strong feeling of unreality or hyperreality to it. It had a bit of both in retrospect, but at the time it felt very much ordinary and very much real. That was of course until I heard an inhuman growl coming from the side of my bed, and I felt myself being pulled toward it. I then woke up for real. That experience is called a false awakening, and it's one of the only experiences of that type (perhaps the only) I've had that I remember.

Many months later I had a different dream. It started out with me attempting to capture a ghost on camera in this room at a building I felt was my school. I felt a sense of extreme danger. I both saw and felt a black shape and movement. However, it suddenly dissipated and I felt all anxiety and fear leave me. I almost felt like laughing. The dream transitioned, and I was standing in the school's hallway and there were people in biohazard suits yelling about danger and telling everyone to get out of the building. I was then standing outside, and I saw many large crowds of students standing around. I saw two school security guards standing nearby. I went and sat down on a bench adjacent to a different bench that a kid I recognized was sitting on alone. He looked very sad. I sat there for a bit (although time rarely has any measure or meaning in my dreams that I understand) and a news reporter with a microphone walked up to the kid on other bench next to me. She spoke into the microphone saying that she was about to attempt communication with the dead. I then understood that I, like that kid, was dead. I got up and walked through the crowds of students, and as I walked I reached out and lightly touched them as I walked by. No one felt that or noticed me at all, and I felt an extreme sense of freedom and liberation from fear. The dream transitioned in some way and I was now disembodied. I remember looking at an image, almost like a painting, divided into 4 different square sections. Each section detailed a different scene that seemed to be the same location with certain differences: a tree on a hill. I have a vague memory of each pane showing that location in different seasons but I don't truly remember what the images were. However, I clearly remember the same image that I saw in that other dream: the man with the top hat. I vaguely remember him standing on the hill, or perhaps standing in the center of the dividers for the four frames. I don't remember the nature of his presence, I just remember that he was there and I could "see"/sense him very clearly. The dream ended up transitioning to a scene in which I was walking around in a store and, if I recall correctly, alive once again.

I have had many other dreams involving all manner of strangeness, ranging from the horrific kind to the delightful kind, and many places in between. Other dreams I've had over the years include dreams about extraterrestrials, ghosts, demons, war, violence, the end of the world, my family, friends, day-to-day life, school, religion, God, Jesus, and other concepts/issues/events.

It might not be my strangest, but this was the weirdest dream I've probably had in months... Other than the dream of me waking up, checking the time, falling asleep and then actually waking up before the time I saw in the dream. At any rate...

I was shopping in a large store, something like walmart or canadian tire. I was pushing my shopping cart around and the lights suddenly went out. I teamed up with this woman across from me and we went off to investigate. We walked through the store noting how desolate everything was. We got to the store entrance where 2 other people were. They told us that the doors were locked and there was no way out of the store.

I notice that there was a box in front of one of the store checkout conveyer belts. When I moved the box, it revealed a hole. Someone had been living under the checkout. We were all left in fearful stunned silence. Then this crazy cartoon-villain laughter could be heard all over the store.

The woman spoke in a serious tone that the only way out now was to find the "kidney dragon king." We split up and went our different ways to find it.

And that's when I woke up.

Some time ago, I had me an odd dream.

It was in some kind of N64-era 3D graphics version of X-COM: UFO Defense, and I was one of the soldiers in the Skyranger (first-person of course), being deployed into a sort of suburban area, but it still used the same farm buildings and such you'd find in a normal UFO crash site. I had some kind of laser weapon, like that one in the new CoD that everyone uses, and I was single-handedly taking on a pair of Mutons. I think I recall CHKilroy being there as well ...

That's all I can remember, but it was very weird. :lol:

When I was little, I dreamed that I was walking around and suddenly found a big open space with nothing but a single fireplace and chimney. There were giant ants all around it, climbing up a ladder in the back and jumping down the chimney. When they emerged from the fireplace (which had no fire in it), they came out as giant oreos. Then they had me climb up the ladder, jump down and become a giant oreo too... 

I had a strange little brain... 

• 3 years later...

Latest strange dream I had was that I and some guy who I didn't even recognize were apparently buddies or something  and we were planning on this heist.

What we were stealing was garbage cans full of trash and we were stealing them from a harbour like place.

There were 2 of these large cans the ones that the garbage trucks take and we split up he went to take the other can and I the other one.

But then I realized that the police was on our trail and I needed to be stealthy in order to steal the garbage so I was crouching behind this structure and waiting the cop to do his patrol.

But the cop didn't move he was standing there facing away from me his back to the garbage and I was about to take the risk and take the trash behind him.

I moved slowly and stealthily closer to the garbage but suddenly the cop moved  i quickly jumped into the near drainage hole  I was about to give up the heist and just run away but the drainage was a dead end.

Only exit was near where the cop was standing and he must've gotten suspicious. 

I remembered there was another drainage next to this one and that wasn't maybe a dead end so I took my chance and tried to slip to the another drainage.

Then it got bit hazy and before I knew it we were playing monopoly with the cops and it was my turn to roll the dice. After I rolled I landed on the go to jail. And then the cops took me actually to the jail.

The end