Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My MLP IRL Portraits (Fun with the Roger Rabbit Effect)!

Jonny Music

(edited)

Those are really cute! Can I offer one little critique? I think the adult ponies should be chest high to you while you're standing fully erect. That's just my opinion though, based on how big actual Earthly ponies are.

img-3417453-1-Pony_Party_2.png

I welcomed critiquing ever since my first post of this thread. So yes you may. :)

You make a good point. However, they way how I would prefer to put their heights and size proportions is based off the calculations and analyzations (if that makes any sense) that other Bronies in the community made.

For example, the chart I use (and will stand by them) shows that young ponies are 2 feet and 1 inches tall. Adult ponies are 4 feet tall. Big Mac, Princess Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, etc. are 5 feet tall. And Princess Celestia is 6 feet tall (and that's pretty big as my in real life height is 6 feet 1 inch.). Keep in mind that these heights DO NOT count to the tip of the unicorn's and alicorn's horn.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

I welcomed critiquing ever since my first post of this thread. So yes you may. :)

You make a good point. However, they way how I would prefer to put their heights and size proportions is based off the calculations and analyzations (if that makes any sense) that other Bronies in the community made.

For example, the chart I use (and will stand by them) shows that young ponies are 2 feet and 1 inches tall. Adult ponies are 4 feet tall. Big Mac, Princess Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor, etc. are 5 feet tall. And Princess Celestia is 6 feet tall (and that's pretty big as my in real life height is 6 feet 1 inch.). Keep in mind that these heights DO NOT count to the tip of the unicorn's and alicorn's horn.

I still don't get how anyone came up with specific sizes for the ponies, with no frame of reference. I saw one that used a large candy-cane in the Hearths Warming Eve episode as the standard of measurement, but how tall was the candy-cane? That is unknown, making it useless as a standard. Another tried to use apples. Apples, as you may know, vary in size by quite a lot! I once jokingly suggested that Princess Celestia was fifty feet tall. There is nothing to say otherwise.

^_^ 

Still, I do like your work!  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I still don't get how anyone came up with specific sizes for the ponies, with no frame of reference. I saw one that used a large candy-cane in the Hearths Warming Eve episode as the standard of measurement, but how tall was the candy-cane? That is unknown, making it useless as a standard. Another tried to use apples. Apples, as you may know, vary in size by quite a lot! I once jokingly suggested that Princess Celestia was fifty feet tall. There is nothing to say otherwise.

^_^

Still, I do like your work!

That candy cane you were referring to was mentioned by Twilight to be 8 feet tall. So no, it is definitely an unintentional standard frame of reference which I will stand by with.

This is the chart I'm using:

post-29975-0-38789600-1421426357_thumb.png

This chart here proves my theory that they do use the imperial system (which I will stand by with. I will never change my mind and vision as to how tall the ponies are):

541249__safe_clothes_screencap_shirt_pin

There is NO WAY Princess Celestia is 50 feet tall! That would be ludicrous. (Even tho it was a joke, it's not that funny imo)

Thank you for your compliment. :) Feedback is very appreciated. :D

UPDATE (as of Jan. 16, 2015): For the sake of those who have a slow internet connection, I have decided to re-size my portraits so that they are optimized for the web.

In other words, the portraits will load up much faster than before. I hope the quality is not affected too much.

For those who still wish to view (and optionally download) the photos how they originally were meant to be viewed, the link to the Google Drive folder for the portraits are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3DVW37sPqGQR081cm9rMkNid1E&usp=sharing

Thank you for your attention. :squee:

Edited by Jonny Music

i have an idea for you. with pony,s like ditzy you could have her holding a muffin with a bite out of it.

Thanks for reminding me. Don't you worry. I didn't forget about Derpy. :)

Whoa! These look like something out of a MLP Real life video, only FROZEN IN TIME DUHDUHDUHUDUH. It looks awesome! :D

Thank you so much for you compliment! ;)

Indeed, they do look awesome! :D

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for inviting me to check out your work. I like it! Because the ponies are so colorful, I think I prefer your desaturated images because it seems to make the ponies blend into the portrait better, at least in my opinion. Regardless, they all look good. Keep up the nice work!

Edited by Simeon Leonard
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sweetie Belle is so cute on that pic, But the most cuter is Applejack and Fluttershy besides you, Nice Job!!! 

Did you check out the whole entire thread (by going through all of the pages) before you made your post? There is more than just the ones you've mentioned. ;)

Edited by Jonny Music

• 2 weeks later...

This is my 12th in the series' portfolio.

(Click on them to enlarge the photos to see the detail if you want) :squee:

Me w/ Mayor Mare in Colour:

post-29975-0-95858100-1424406625_thumb.jpg

Me w/ Mayor Mare in B+W:

post-29975-0-46062100-1424406628_thumb.jpg

Comments: I do know that there are some fellow bronies/pegasisters who like Mayor Mare (for whatever reason) and that she's not so popular (unless I'm proven wrong). So I decided to make a IRL portrait with her. :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

All of these portraits are done quite nicely. Though I think the sizes seem a little off, they blend in near-perfectly.

I suggest you do different poses of yourself and add a bit of shading/shadows to the ponies. But that's just my suggestion...

• Brohoof 2

I suggest you do different poses of yourself and add a bit of shading/shadows to the ponies. But that's just my suggestion...

The reason why there isn't much shading/shadows on them was because the original photos I took were shot on a cloudy day (therefore, not much sunlight).

Thank you for your suggestions. I will take note of them. :)

Nice one with the Mayor!

Hmm...I had a really weird thought---I'm just thinking out loud; it's not really a suggestion, partly because I have no idea whether it'd be a good idea, a bad idea, or even something you'd want to do.  But imagine one of these pictures...with a real-life pony in them, i.e. a shetland, galloway, or other real-life breed of real pony, side-by-side with an Equestrian, cartoon, drawn-in-flash pony.  It'd be a pretty stark contrast, and I have no idea whether it would be offputting, hilarious, or what.  But it jumped into my head, and I figured I should share the thought.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

this was indeed an enjoyable romp through IRL ponies. I most enjoyed Big Mac!  :mellow:  :wub:  great job, cant wait to see some more!!

Thanks. :)

If you don't want to miss my upcoming posts with new portraits, then I advise you to click on the "Follow this topic" button (located on top-right corner of the thread page and below the menu bar) so that you don't miss anything.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, cartoon characters will never look fully proper in a real-life setting, but  I would suggest adjusting the tone of the ponies to match that in the images as well as adding shadows and possibly light spots on the characters. I noticed you doing this in your later images posted, but I think you're making it too subtle in my opinion.

bd03_original.jpg

For instance, here you can clearly see the shadows on Roger Rabbit and the colours are adjusted according to the general lighting of the set. Of course, whether colour adjustment is needed depends on the picture taken but consider adjusting tone to see if the ponies look more natural in the image as well as increased focus on shadow and lighting.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

Of course, cartoon characters will never look fully proper in a real-life setting, but  I would suggest adjusting the tone of the ponies to match that in the images as well as adding shadows and possibly light spots on the characters. I noticed you doing this in your later images posted, but I think you're making it too subtle in my opinion.

img-3657271-1-bd03_original.jpg

For instance, here you can clearly see the shadows on Roger Rabbit and the colours are adjusted according to the general lighting of the set. Of course, whether colour adjustment is needed depends on the picture taken but consider adjusting tone to see if the ponies look more natural in the image as well as increased focus on shadow and lighting.

I see what you are trying to get at here. Yet I'd like to keep them as colourful as they are.

The original photos were taken on a very cloudy day. As a result, the sun was completely covered. Therefore making it easier for me to make these for my first attempt at them (especially in the most recent portraits).

What about the ones with me and Spike indoors? What do you think about the shadow work I made on those? I personally think they are pretty spot-on. I was extremely careful with how accurate the shadows' directions and opacity were. Not to mention they are cute, aren't they? :)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

This is one of the special photos in the series' portfolio (this does not count as the 13th. But rather, a special one that I'd like to get out of the way).

(Click on them to enlarge the photo to see the detail if you want)  :squee:

Me w/ my OC: Jonny Music

post-29975-0-89855900-1435099958_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...

This is my 13th in the series' portfolio.

(Click on them to enlarge the photos to see the detail if you want)  :squee: 

Me w/ Vinyl Scratch in Colour:

post-29975-0-24132500-1438306021_thumb.jpg

Me with Vinyl Scratch in B+W:

post-29975-0-87892100-1438306026_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So here I am spending trillions and trillions for years on end trying to science my way to a reliable inter-dimensional portal and here you are with ponies from Equestria.

Please tell me the portal you are using is a naturally occuring one!

In all cerealness...

Love the portraits, have anything special planned for the rest of the Princesses background wise?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...