Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My MLP IRL Portraits (Fun with the Roger Rabbit Effect)!

Jonny Music

Your IRL photos so far are a nice improvement from your old ones. I love your attention to shading, especially in the Pinkie and the Babs photos. You should add a bit of light onto the ponies to make them more alive, but otherwise it's nice to look at.

The borders of the Scootaloo and Babs photos are an interesting experimentation, but the vivid colours stick out like a sore thumb. My word of advice for this is to make it duller or try out a different photo style, namely sepia. If you're going to try out sepia or something, then I'd also highly recommend you to add a grain texture if you want to make your photos look old.

Again, these are a nice improvement, and I hope to see more from you. Keep up the good work, Jonny. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Your IRL photos so far are a nice improvement from your old ones. I love your attention to shading, especially in the Pinkie and the Babs photos. You should add a bit of light onto the ponies to make them more alive, but otherwise it's nice to look at.

The borders of the Scootaloo and Babs photos are an interesting experimentation, but the vivid colours stick out like a sore thumb. My word of advice for this is to make it duller or try out a different photo style, namely sepia. If you're going to try out sepia or something, then I'd also highly recommend you to add a grain texture if you want to make your photos look old.

Again, these are a nice improvement, and I hope to see more from you. Keep up the good work, Jonny. ;)

Thanks. :) About the adding a bit of light comment, the original photos I took were during a cloudy day when the sun was completely covered. Therefore I wasn't too worried to add any highlights. Thanks for letting me know though. :)

Those soft borders you are referring to is actually a technique known as vignetting (here's a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting). The vivid pony matching colours is an idea I had instead of doing the conventional black or white vignettes for more of an artistic effect imo. If you don't see the creativity behind it, that's fine. I'll do some experimenting with your advice, but if it doesn't satisfy my personal view of artwork, I will discard it with no hesitation. I don't really want to add grain texture because the original photos I took already at a high enough ISO (camera term) to get some grain on it. They are very recent and brand new photos, so there is no need for me to add some "age" to them (imo).

Thanks again for your compliments! :)

Edited by Jonny Music

Thanks. :) About the adding a bit of light comment, the original photos I took were during a cloudy day when the sun was completely covered. Therefore I wasn't too worried to add any highlights. Thanks for letting me know though. :)

Those soft borders you are referring to are actually known as a technique known as vignetting (here's a link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting). The vivid pony matching colours is an idea I had instead of doing the conventional black or white vignettes for more of an artistic effect imo. If you don't see the creativity behind it, that's fine. I'll do some experimenting with your advice, but if it doesn't satisfy my personal view of artwork, I will discard it with no hesitation. I don't really want to add grain texture because the original photos I took already at a high enough ISO (camera term) to get some grain on it. They are very recent and brand new photos, so there is no need for me to add some "age" to them (imo).

Thanks again for your compliments! :)

Alrighty, that's fine and good. I'd still might add a bit of light, but only little to no amount. You made a good point about the photos being cloudy and all.

I actually wasn't aware of vignetting. :o But know that you have told me, I could now see the creativity of the soft borders. I also agree with not "ageing" them too, as you made a good point.

Anytime. ;)

• Brohoof 1

You make these pictures using a program you used?  Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom?  And also it looks great! :D

I only used Photoshop so far. However, I did hear that you can do even more with Lightroom and that it works just like Photoshop, is that correct?  :squee:

Pretty good. I always like to see a good mix of animation and real life. 

Thanks a lot. Hvala puno. :)

I would like to do those in the future, but I'll stick with photos for now. This guy is of one of the best examples I've seen for IRL photos and videos by far: https://www.youtube.com/user/StormXF3 . :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

This is my 10th in the series' portfolio. Merry Christmas to everypony!

(Click on them to enlarge the photos to see the detail if you want)   :squee:

Me w/ Big Macintosh in colour:

post-29975-0-00424100-1421427591_thumb.jpg

Me w/ Big Macintosh in B+W:

post-29975-0-47134700-1421427590_thumb.jpg

post-29975-0-47134700-1421427590_thumb.jpg

post-29975-0-00424100-1421427591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 6

• 2 weeks later...

I know Big Macintosh is more of the plow and cart pulling pony and reminds me of a Clydesdale but wow he is bigger than i would have thought. I don't remember seeing spike are you going to do one with him and what about discord and mayor mare.

• Brohoof 2

I know Big Macintosh is more of the plow and cart pulling pony and reminds me of a Clydesdale but wow he is bigger than i would have thought. I don't remember seeing spike are you going to do one with him and what about discord and mayor mare.

Thank you for the reminder. :)

Not to worry, I didn't forget them. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Thank you for the reminder. :)

Not to worry, I didn't forget them. ;)

i like what you do. of course i need to remind my self that stuff like this is harder than it looks.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

UPDATE (as of January 7, 2015): What's up everyone!? :D I just want to give you all an update to the thread.

Firstly, I need to let you know that I cannot guarantee that I will be able to upload the rest of the portraits as often as I did during last month (since I am back in college now for the 2nd semester). So the making and uploading of the portraits will not be as consistent as it was last month. That is why I advise everyone to "Follow this topic" (click on the button located on the top-right corner of the thread) so that you do not miss a new post from me on this thread whenever I do get to finish them one at a time.

And last but not least, since I have finished the portraits with the Mane 6, the CMC and Big Macintosh, the order of the portraits I will be working on are as follows:

Spike (done)

Mayor Mare (done)

Background characters

Vinyl Scratch (a.k.a. DJ Pon-3) (done)

Octavia Melody (done)

Lyra Heartstrings (done)

Derpy Hooves (a.k.a. Ditzy Doo and Muffins)

The Royalty

Princess Cadence

Shining Armor

Princess Luna

Princess Celestia

Special

Flufflepuff

Queen Chrysalis

??? (<--- This will remain a surprise! :D)

Me with my OC: Jonny Music (done)

Me with my OC: Jonny Music V2 (done)

Retouches

Sweetie Belle

Rarity

Applebloom

Fluttershy

Applejack

Thank you for your attention. Have a super-uber-duper-tastic time! :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

This is my 11th in the series' portfolio.

(Click on them to enlarge the photos to see the detail if you want)    :squee:

Me w/ Spike in colour:

post-29975-0-80797700-1421427696_thumb.jpg

Me w/ Spike in B+W:

post-29975-0-25345700-1421427696_thumb.jpg

And...

Me w/ Spike being playful in colour:

post-29975-0-38280600-1421427695_thumb.jpg

Me w/ Spike being playful in B+W:

post-29975-0-97423000-1421427694_thumb.jpg

Note: It was too cold for this little guy to go outside and take a portrait with me, so I decided to have the portraits taken in my bedroom/office for the sake of Spike being naturally cold-blooded. So I hope you like them. :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 7

(edited)

He's hoarding all the ponies! GET HIM! *Leads Brony Army To Jonny Music's House*

LOL!  :lol: 

Chill (calm down)! They all went back to Equestria after I spent some time with them. They only came for a visit, they didn't stay very long.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2