Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv First Trailer For Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Orablanco Account

I've recently ran into a nice "improvement" of lightsaber design from teaser. 

10172714_10152958465256840_3337002242547

I think that this is a pretty smart idea if it was made this way. It for sure would give benefit during combat (the way Anakin killed count Dooku would not work in this case for example) and it also looks a bit better. 

And well... after some thinking - it is a teaser after all, there can also be some changes in final movie (I hope overall look of lightsaber will be a bit improved). I still am very curious about story...

There really should be no reason whatsoever that people are complaining about a crossguard lightsaber and a black stormtrooper in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I thought the crossguard saber looked cool, and I don't mind a black stormtrooper, or whoever this character is (never saw Attack the Block). Stories have persisted that the crossguard saber comes from the expanded Star Wars universe but is rarely seen, and that stormtroopers are meant to be clones of Jango Fett. I gotta love the ridiculous memes that came with the crossguard saber, including the Swiss Army lightsaber, plus this:

http://pixelkitties.deviantart.com/art/Discord-Of-The-Sith-497751336

It's not as bad as the prequels, but these minor little details are something that fans shouldn't complain about. Maybe the "Attack the Block" guy is one of the new protagonists and that the additional crossguard thingies in the new lightsaber are a different kind of laser that is solid and doesn't cut anything, including your hand. It's too early to tell, so why complain now? I don't think they have lead lined refridgerators in this universe, so they can't nuke the fridge. Plus, Jar Jar Binks was killed during the Great Jedi Homicide in Episode III (although never seen but fans assume), so that can ease your nerves. So many theories, so little time.

First of all, I'm not complaining about it until I see the whole film, I thought the trailer looked good, and Jar Jar Binks is not dead. He was seen at Amidala's funeral at the end of Episode III, and may have been heard in the background during the remade celebration scenes of the special edition of Episode VI.

Why is it your place to just brush aside complaints of others when you have as little idea how this movie is going to turn out as anyone else? Everyone has the right to be concerned about it as much as they have the right to be hyped. Instead of wasting your time telling people their concerns are unfounded you could find out the reasons these decisions were made and explain it to people and let them make the judgment of whether there's something to complain about.

• Brohoof 4

Why is it your place to just brush aside complaints of others when you have as little idea how this movie is going to turn out as anyone else? Everyone has the right to be concerned about it as much as they have the right to be hyped. Instead of wasting your time telling people their concerns are unfounded you could find out the reasons these decisions were made and explain it to people and let them make the judgment of whether there's something to complain about.

Indeed. Op you have no place telling people whether or not to complain about a film period actually. How about you just say "I don't see why people are so worried about the film. I think it looks good from the trailer." Instead of acting like you've got the right to tell people to not complain about a film we know so little about. Let everyone form their opinions sampsonic. Don't act as if you can form them yourself. We don't know enough to truly form legitimate complaints or opinions. So just. Don't.

I think that people might just be concerned about what this new star wars might turn out to be after all these years...

And they have every right to. It's a new film with a new look. We barely know much about it at the moment. So obviously there's going to be complaints from the little we know. Even if they're petty right now since there's not much right now.

And they have every right to. It's a new film with a new look. We barely know much about it at the moment. So obviously there's going to be complaints from the little we know. Even if they're petty right now since there's not much right now.

I never said they didn't have the right to be concerned about this new film.. I agree 100%

Since you mentioned two specific things people are complaining about, I'll address those.

The lightsaber is silly, design-wise. If it's meant to be a cross-guard it won't work because the lightsaber would just cut through the emitters for the "guard" and render it useless. That being said, I've suspended my disbelief before, and I can probably do it again. It looks cool, and if I recall it matches Revan's lightsaber from The Old Republic; that + black robed figure means they might try and bring Revan into the cinematic canon, which would be freakin' awesome.

As for the Stormtrooper, I'm pretty sure it was established that while the Stormtroopers were initially clones of Jango Fett, after awhile The Empire started recruiting normal people/mercenaries. It's a non-issue.

• Brohoof 2

Since you mentioned two specific things people are complaining about, I'll address those.

The lightsaber is silly, design-wise. If it's meant to be a cross-guard it won't work because the lightsaber would just cut through the emitters for the "guard" and render it useless. That being said, I've suspended my disbelief before, and I can probably do it again. It looks cool, and if I recall it matches Revan's lightsaber from The Old Republic; that + black robed figure means they might try and bring Revan into the cinematic canon, which would be freakin' awesome.

This was one of my first thoughts as well. Hit the saber just right and the guard and saber are cut into pieces. On the other hand, Jedi are known to be very accurate with their sabers and seem to wield them with dexterity unlike any living thing thanks to the force. A Jedi trained to fight with that sort of lightsaber would seemingly understand the drawbacks and know exactly how to use the guard so that this doesn't happen.

• Brohoof 2

This was one of my first thoughts as well. Hit the saber just right and the guard and saber are cut into pieces. On the other hand, Jedi are known to be very accurate with their sabers and seem to wield them with dexterity unlike any living thing thanks to the force. A Jedi trained to fight with that sort of lightsaber would seemingly understand the drawbacks and know exactly how to use the guard so that this doesn't happen.

Plus the fact that you're sort of falling into a perfect solution fallacy with that particular weakness. Having an extra opportunity to parry is better than nothing at all.

Plus there are plenty of real world examples of weapons you can injure yourself with if you don't have proper training with such as nunchaku. I would certainly hope that this mysterious dark side user is actually proficient in the use of his weapon.

• Brohoof 2

@@Discordian,

"[insert internal inconsistency with the Star Wars Universe here]"

"SPACE MAGIC!"

[inconsistency resolved]

Joking aside though, that explanation does lend more credence to the lightsaber. I still think they could have figured out a better way to go about it, design-wise.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

@sampsoninc916, just letting you know that I've merged your topic with the main one for The Force Awakens, seeing as how yours was still inviting discussion of the trailer and the film by disagreeing with common negative gut reactions to what we've seen so far. May as well keep the discussion in one place.

Anyhoo, I'm a very casual Star Wars fan but I like that we might be getting main characters from the Rebellion's descendants and what is left of the Empire. The trailer found a decent enough balance between reassuring old fans that yes, this will have connections to the films they grew up with, while also making sure that the film has its own identity and will be adding stuff to the universe. Looks pretty cool. Plan to watch.

• 11 months later...