Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv List the children's/toddler's shows that you like and the ones that you don't.

CC_Maud_Pie

Most of us at some part admitted to liking MLP. But are there shows that are intended for children/toddlers that you enjoy to this day. I'm not talking about ones from Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. I'm talking more about ones from PBS Kids, Nick Jr., Playhouse Disney/Disney Jr., etc. If you would like, post why you like/dislike the shows you mention. Here are mine:

Like:

- Sesame Street: The most educational TV show in my opinion.

- Bill Nye the Science Guy: Good science show.

- Reading Rainbow: Good show that encourages kids to read. Also, the host is cool since he used to be in Star Trek: the Next Generation.

- Arthur (90's to early-2000's): Good animation and voice acting. Pretty good show based off a children's book.

- ZOOM

- Pablo the Little Red Fox: I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of the accents. They're too cute. Here's the theme song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xol05wCCFo

- Oswald: Remember that octopus character show from Nick Jr. Even though I make fun of it, I enjoy this show. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GM92Irh48O0

- Blues Clues (Steve Burns era): Seriously, this show can fit in Tru TV's Worlds Dumbest.

- The Busy World of Richard Scarry

- Out of the Box

- PB&J Otter

- Mister Rogers Neighborhood

Dislike:

- Barney and Friends

- Teletubbies

- Yo Gabba Gabba

- Caillou

- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Walt Disney's rolling in his grave.

- Bob the Builder

- Jay Jay the Jet Plane: Horrible animation.

- Higglytown Heroes

- Handy Manny

- Lazytown

- Bear in the Big Blue House

There's also the Tweenies, which I saw when I went to Scotland in 2001 to visit my grandma and other relatives. I don't have a strong opinion on it, though.

The Good:

Word Girl: Pretty good parody in itself and pretty damn funny to be honest.

Arthur: Arthur was always great because it could cover ANYTHING and do it in a kid friendly way no matter what. Just watch their episode "April 9th"/

Sesame Street: Maybe not as enjoyable anymore, but Sesame Street used to be legendary. Another show that could teach kids anything. It also has one of my favorite skits of all time: Wide Open Spaces. Look that up sometime, if you can.

Cyberchase: Never thought young children's programming would have such an epic story behind it. It's also a good way to learn beginner math for your young ones.

The Bad:

All the others? idfk.

• Brohoof 2

Dexters lab

Tom and jerry

Powderpuff girls

Ed edd n eddy

I like these

Ones I haven't mentioned I don't care about

Those are good but I'm talking more about shows from PBS Kids, Nick Jr., and Playhouse Disney. Not Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. Edited by CC_Maud_Pie
  • Brohoof 1

I wasn't really into educational shows when I was young but, I do remember liking Blues Clues, Little Bill and Sesame Street. Other than that, I didn't really watch any other educational shows.

Edited by CrazyMrLunaDash

Sesame street

Out of ths box

Blue clues

Arthur

Pb and J

Bear in the big blue house

Handy Mandy

Lazy town

Little E

Rollie Pollie Ollie!

Mickey mouse club house

Book of Pooh

Dragon tales

Magic school bus

Doodle bops.

I love LazyTown so much and I have zero idea why, Robbie though <3

I like a lot of children's shows to the point where I don't really think I have a least favorite. 

I love LazyTown so much and I have zero idea why, Robbie though <3

I like a lot of children's shows to the point where I don't really think I have a least favorite.

Lazy town is where the song you are a pirate comes from!

I love that song so much <3

• Brohoof 1

This is mostly because of nostalgia, even though most of the ones I like are bad... :P

Like:

Blues Clues

Bear in the Big Blue House

PB&J Otter

Arthur

Bob the Builder

Dislike:

Teletubbies

Barney the Dinosaur

The cartoons that you listed but I didn't are cartoons I haven't seen at all. Except for Lazy Town, Sesame Street and Caillou, which I all have mixed feelings on.

Edited by Odyssey

This is mostly because of nostalgia, even though most of the ones I like are bad... :P

Like:

Blues Clues

Bear in the Big Blue House

PB&J Otter

Arthur

Bob the Builder

Dislike:

Teletubbies

Barney the Dinosaur

The cartoons that you listed but I didn't are cartoons I haven't seen at all. Except for Lazy Town, Sesame Street and Caillou, which I all have mixed feelings on.

Barney was annoying >.>

Lazy town was one the best shows o:

It has the cake song too!

• Brohoof 1

Yep, I remember it clear as day. Most of the songs are way too catchy to forget.

I know right....

I think the episode i remember the most is when the bad guy tries to capture them but then ends up capturing himself or something..

I've been forced to watch a lot of stuff on Nick Jr., Disney Junior, and PBS Kids over the years because of my life and family circumstances, so here goes:

The most precious current contemporary show for the really little kids right now is Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. The voices, lessons, morals and sweetness is just the type of thing that makes television a potential pro-social teaching tool for little kids.

Peg + Cat is also good.

Probably the brightest thing on Nick Jr. since the year 2000 was The Backyardigans. It started in 2004 and it doesn't look like it has gotten any new episodes or stuff since 2010.

It is way more imaginative and interesting than what is generally considered to be the "flagship" brand from Nick Jr., Dora the Explorer. Well, the ten-year-plus long Dora popularity train appears to have ended and been replaced by... shudder... Bubble Guppies.

Backyardigans was actually really engaging and I hope that some little kids got something out of the song-and-dance numbers that did a good job of expressing the different people and places of the world, different time periods and historical eras and stuff, with it's minimalistic cast of a penguin, a moose, a hippo, a kangaroo, and a... whatever Uniqua is.

While I am not particularly fond of Jake and the Never-Land Pirates, which is like the cultural successor to Dora the Explorer and Go, Diego Go! (obviously not spiritual successor production-wise, since it is from different producers than Dora and Diego)... I do appreciate the... just plain better production values that are immensely less annoying than Dora.

Honestly, I think that, while DtE and GDG! had some good intentions with teaching little kids the value of learning a second language... Dora was SO slow-paced that I think it taught little kids to have overly slow thought processes. Seriously, even little kids don't have be reminded of how to memorize three locations in a specific order several times in one sitting. Solving the "problems" and obstacles usually involved pointless hand-holding, even for a toddler, and ended up solving themselves. Even when they failed to say "Swiper, no Swiping", he just ended up throwing the thing somewhere where it could easily be found. The formula just stayed that way for years and years.

Yes, I know that Blue's Clues was also tied to a very continuous formula... but that show was worthy, because... reasons. Because it required little kids to sit down in the thinking chair and think about how to combine the clues. Hint hint, that was my show as a little kid, considering that I was born in 1990.

Super Why! which is also created by Angela C. Santomero... tries to do what Blue's Clues did back in the day and stick with an oddly-specific formula... but... like, it beats around the bush with this odd method of spelling out one singular word... But I also saw that they are expanding to add knowledge of more worldly knowledge and geographical subjects into the show, and also greater vocabulary with the dog with Dictionary power. The dog's name is Woofster.

I still think it could maybe be possible to streamline the running length of the episodes and have it be two segments per 25-ish minute episode... But maybe I have to watch it some more to see how important the singular 25-minute episodes pace.

Things that just plain suck include:

Bubble Guppies: I detest the fact that it never has a concise point to whatever it is trying to teach. I also detest the fact that there's no rhyme or reason for having it set underwater other than the fact that merkids are apparently a cute thing that no-one has merchandised for a while... even tho the show constantly demonstrates that there is no point in having it set underwater, what with the desert, outer space/moon, and dinosaur-type settings. Also, the art style is lazy and cheap/

Doc McStuffins: Pointlessly specific formula about kid doctor fixing toys with problems that are so obvious that they should not even be classified as medical issues (a toy is thirsty, so it should drink, or a water toy does not squirt any more water, so put more water in it because it just ran out of water, a toy's batteries are running low, so it should replace it's batteries, a toy is tired, so it should rest)... and then pointlessly making up fake words that end in -itis or -itosis. It's targeting a weirdly specific subject matter, and doesn't actually have any significance towards actual kids who want to be actual doctors. Magic School Bus human body episodes are where that category of learning belongs.

But vastly worse than Bubble Guppies and Doc McStuffins combined is the sheer teal-and-yellow good-manner evil that is Special Agent Oso. A gimmick that no little kid wanted. This is what happens when you let the British children's educational telly scene influence North America.

Oso is supposed to be some secret agent who sneaks up on naughty kids and teaches them good manners, and then Oso or someone gets a Digi-Medal, because in this world "digi" is still a relevant prefix for anything in the English language. Also, horribly creepy anime head of anime magical-girl on his communicator watch.

To recap:

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is beast and has an actual soul.

The Backyardigans is enriching.

Jake and the Neverland Pirates is generally harmless.

Dora the Explorer was inferior product and didn't deserve to be as long-running and popular as it was. (Altho I understand that in the early years, it was generally a simplistic show designed to get attention, and that by going with this low-production method, it was a safe show to get good returns on relatively smaller investments)

Bubble Guppies, Doc McStuffins, and Special Agent Oso are lousy shows.

oh, and also, I generally support Peg + Cat, Team Umizoomi, Arthur (which is still on the air and is still mostly good), Martha Speaks, Sid the Science Kid, Caillou, Henry Hugglemonster...

oh, and Max & Ruby, Fresh Beat Band, Ni-Hao Kai-Lan, and WonderPets (Wonder Pets solved things and got shit done and Team Umizoomi pretty much owes all of it's inspiration from WonderPets, except for the math parts)

I don't know enough about Paw Patrol to make a judgement yet. At first I thought my nieces and nephews were talking about something called Papa Troll, and I wondered why something as old-timey as trolls as major characters was a thing in this day and age of little kid shows.

• Brohoof 2

Awesome topic.

My favorite kid shows are:

Kipper

tumblr_mg6zuzsrC41rtymhjo1_400.png

Oswald

Oswald.gif

Blue Clues

blues-clues-coloring-pages.jpg

Now the show I despised, hate, and down right think is terrifying is:

BOOBAH!

boohbah-party-ideas.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Shows I like:

• Pingu
  • Magic School Bus
  • Powerpuff Girls
  • Cyberchase
  • Any other good show :P
Shows I dislike:

• Dora
  • Barney
  • Too many to list

I would seriously recommend Pingu to anyone who likes clay animation.

I saw Pingu when I was younger on PBS Kids Sprout. Pretty simple and interesting clay animation.

Like:

-Sofia the First

-Doc McStuffins

-Chuggington

-Blues Clues

-Caillou

-Paw Patrol

-Shining Time Station (I wish they would make a DVD set of this, seriously!)

-Magic School Bus

Dislike:

-Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

-Barney & Friends

-Sesame Street (They support Autism Speaks. Don't ask. I also don't like the newer episodes with whatshername with the wings)

-Team Umi Zoomi

-Dino Dan

-Max and Ruby

-Yo Gabba Gabba

-Thomas & Friends (It's nothing like Shining Time Station)

-Dora the Explorer

-Dora & Friends

...I watch a lot of this stuff lol. I've also read up on a lot of the ones I didn't watch growing up.

Edited by Loki of Sassgard
  • Brohoof 1