Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Re: Reports of alerts when visiting MLP Forums

Lavo

We’ve been getting reports of peoples virus scanners, Avast in particular, being tripped off when visiting the forum. We believe this to be a case of a malicious advert being displayed on the forums.

Unfortunately we do not get a list of what adverts have displayed on our sites nor anything identifiable from our end to use, however each advert that you see does have a tracking link that we can give the AdSense team to help track down and remove this advert.

This is where we need your help, should your virus scanner pop up when visiting our site could you please screenshot the adverts on the site and follow this guide to get all of the advert tracking urls and send them to us in a support ticket so we can reports these to AdSense to get rid of these malicious adverts and help keep the forums a safer place for everyone.

• Brohoof 18

As a footnote, it's important to use discretion when clicking advertisements anywhere on the internet. If something looks suspicious, it probably is. 

At MLP Forums we do our best to keep out all malicious advertisements. One might slip through the cracks every now and then, which is why reporting any you encounter is essential.

• Brohoof 5

I had Avast and I uninstalled it for another anti-virus and haven't had problems since, and I was using adblock so it might just be Avast sending a false alarm which wouldn't be the first time. 

But for me it was literally just random threads that sent it off. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't used an Anti-virus software since....2011? o.o 

Although I'll keep an eye out :)

You should definitely use an antivirus software if you're connected to the internet. There's a lot of very malicious software out there that can spy on your computer/internet usage, steal your personal information and/or destroy your computer.

Much of that can be avoided by practicing safe habits on the internet (i.e. avoiding suspicious sites, not downloading anything from sites that aren't fully reputable and trustworthy, not replying to spam emails, not giving anyone your personal information, and so on) but it's essential to still have an antivirus software installed to protect you. People generally design malware to slip in undetected by the user.

• Brohoof 3

I get these warnings everytime I open ask a pony topic or atleast most of the time and the warning comes even if when I unchecked opt into site ads from my profile.

Are you using Avast?

• Brohoof 2

You should definitely use an antivirus software if you're connected to the internet. There's a lot of very malicious software out there that can spy on your computer/internet usage, steal your personal information and/or destroy your computer.

Much of that can be avoided by practicing safe habits on the internet (i.e. avoiding suspicious sites, not downloading anything from sites that aren't fully reputable and trustworthy, not replying to spam emails, not giving anyone your personal information, and so on) but it's essential to still have an antivirus software installed to protect you. People generally design malware to slip in undetected by the user.

That's the thing I only use my laptop for 

- Steam

- YouTube

- School work

- Forums and iTunes 

I rarely download anything but thanks, I'll get something soon :) 

• Brohoof 4

Adverts tripping off virus scanners, huh? I cannot say that I've personally come across this problem myself, but I will be sure to keep an eye out for anything that looks suspicious. Good luck to our techies tracking the malicious ad(s) down, and to everyone else, stay alert and keep your eyes peeled for anything that raises any red flags!

• Brohoof 2

I use adblock and I still get it, so no.

I get these warnings everytime I open ask a pony topic or atleast most of the time and the warning comes even if when I unchecked opt into site ads from my profile.

If you two get an another alert can you be able sumbit a support ticket with all details of it as soon are you are able to?

Also if anyone else get alerts despite ads not being shown or some blocker in place is getting, can you to the same too.

• Brohoof 3

If you two get an another alert can you be able sumbit a support ticket with all details of it as soon are you are able to?

Also if anyone else get alerts despite ads not being shown or some blocker in place is getting, can you to the same too.

it only happens upon leaving the ask a pony section of the forum [as in upon entering a page outside of that subboard]

• Brohoof 1

There's a lot of very malicious software out there that can spy on your computer/internet usage, steal your personal information and/or destroy your computer.

I disagree for the third point. Modern malwares cannot physically damage a computer for two reasons:

1) For technical reasons, affecting hardware components using malicious softwares proves to be almost impossible on modern computers.

2) It would be counter-productive. Malwares are here to steal personal information and passwords as such. Destroying a computer is useless from the hacker's point of view.

But, I do agree with the fact that an Antivirus software is indeed essential.

As for me, I tried going on the forums and browsing random threads using different antivirus softwares. The ones I have tested are:

Kaspersky Internet Security

AVG Free Edition

Antivir Antivirus

ESET NOD32.

None of them gave any alerts.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree for the third point. Modern malwares cannot physically damage a computer for two reasons:

1) For technical reasons, affecting hardware components using malicious softwares proves to be almost impossible on modern computers.

2) It would be counter-productive. Malwares are here to steal personal information and passwords as such. Destroying a computer is useless from the hacker's point of view.

But, I do agree with the fact that an Antivirus software is indeed essential.

As for me, I tried going on the forums and browsing random threads using different antivirus softwares. The ones I have tested are:

Kaspersky Internet Security

AVG Free Edition

Antivir Antivirus

ESET NOD32.

None of them gave any alerts.

I meant destruction as in wiping the hard drive or otherwise rendering the computer inoperable without a reinstallation of the operating system, not physical destruction.

• Brohoof 2