Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Believe in Paranormal Activities

An Unknown Pony.

I'd argue that you might not have any evidence to say Ghosts exist, but at the same time you don't have any proof to say they don't exist. It might be pointless to know the true anyway, what use would I get from knowing truly if they exist? nothing. If you want to believe, you will, if you don't want to, you won't believe, regardless. I'd also stress to believers because a lot of believes also make the same mistake and immediately look towards spirituality for answers while completely dismissing science.

You have some good points here. But I just can't see how believing in ghosts can be a safe position because of Occams razor. (Which is commonly misinterpreted by believers and skeptics alike.)

It will always be impossible to prove a negative. You can only ever prove something is, you can never prove that something is not. But if you've tried really hard to prove that something is, but you haven't come up with anything in all of your attempts, at some point you're going to just have to say "you know, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree here."

Occam's razor is about minimizing unnecessary pluralities. Or in simpler terms, minimizing the number of unfounded assumptions you're making. If you can't prove that ghosts exist, then you simply will never be able to act on that knowledge. A world where ghosts do exist will be indistinguishable from a world where they don't. So the existence of ghosts is just not useful information then, so you might as well act as if they don't exist.

• Brohoof 1

It went over your head aswell. Lets see if I can clear things up. How do you know that what you experienced was paranormal? This is what I was asking him. He replied with "you don't forget something like that" completly ignoring what I said about how memory is reconstructed. Another point, we don't percieve the world perfectly, our senses are not perfectly reliable. People can confuse dreams/hallucinations with reality.

I see where you're coming from. Just because I expereinced something I can't explain doesn't mean it's to do with the paranormal and I never said my expereinces were paranormal. I'm saying that I'm open to both science and the paranormal. I'm still not saying Ghosts exist because I truly don't know. I have no evidence to prove nor disprove of their existence, but no matter how I thought about my experiences, I couldn't explain it at all.

To answer your question in plain English - I don't know if it was paranormal or not. I have no idea what it was in any way shape or form, no matter how I looked at it.

How do you know that?

My Logic couldn't explain my past experiences, that's all there is to it. I never said they were paranormal related, I never said "it's a Ghost" because I don't know. I merely stated that it couldn't be explained from a science perspective. It was also the reason why I'm more open to the spiritual world as I never took much notice in such things. I never said 'ghosts are real', but I am open-minded to the subject and in a way I do believe, but not 100%.

Do you have any proof that magical unicorns don't exist? The burdan of proof is on the person making the claim, it's not up to me to prove a negitive.

You're quite a hypocrite, either that or you just don't realize what I'm actually saying. Pretty much all I've said has gone over your head. Now I'm not trying to make drama here but my point still stands; anything could exist in this endless/ever growing universe. Aliens, ghosts, whatever. Just because you have never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist but at the same time, doesn't mean it does.

The point is, anything can exist in this universe, it's impossible to say. You can go on and say things like Aliens or whatever don't exist, but what if one day, 1000 years in the future, an Alien starship decides to land on Earth? Not saying it would ever happen but it's possible because none of us know if they exist or not.

Have you traveled through the entire universe to check to see if they don't exist? I don't think so, so you can't say something doesn't exist until you've literally checked every single part of the universe and obviously that's not going to be happening. Same applies with Ghosts/the spirit world.

You're missing the entire point.

On another note, I've had sleep paralysis before, I was frozen and my heart was racing. I saw some kind of masked murderer in my room. Was my experience paranormal? or was it just a hallucination? The latter is a more reasonable explanation because we know that hallucinations can happen (especially in a sleepy state) and we know how they work. "Paranormal" is just a label that people slap on to things they do not understand, and its quiet annoying.

You've just hit the nail directly on the head right there :D

As you've stated and I quote "The latter is a more reasonable explanation because we know that hallucinations can happen (especially in a sleepy state) and we know how they work." Exactly, but no one on planet Earth really knows how Ghosts exist or how they work. You seem like you only choose to believe in things that can be explained, not things that can't like Ghosts. It's your choose but I never bragged at you nor anypony to believe in Ghosts. I don't fully believe in them myself. I'm just laying down the truth and that it can be possible.

Before I conclude this post, just to make a few things clear:

• I don't 100% believe in Ghosts, but I'm not condemning their existence because I can't prove they do nor don't exist. Some things are possible and I am open to the paranormal.
  • You can't say something doesn't exist unless you've proved it doesn't exist. For all we know there could be Klingon's flying around in space. The universe is ever-growing and unexplored just like the spiritual world.
2 quick questions to you and this may sound a little strange to ask but - Have you ever seen a radio wave? do you believe radio waves exist?

I never said my expereinces were paranormal.

I merely stated that it couldn't be explained from a science perspective

My question was, how do you know that it was beyond scientfic explaination?

You're quite a hypocrite, either that or you just don't realize what I'm actually saying. Pretty much all I've said has gone over your head.

No, you just need to pay attention to what I say. I never claimed that the paranormal didn't exist, my point was that it's not reasonable to belive that it does.

no one on planet Earth really knows how Ghosts exist or how they work.

Or even if they exist at all.

2 quick questions to you and this may sound a little strange to ask but - Have you ever seen a radio wave? do you believe radio waves exist?

That's truly a dumb thing to ask me, we can measure radio waves and their effects, they actually exist. I don't need to see the air or electromagnetic waves to know that they exist.

The universe is ever-growing and unexplored just like the spiritual world.

Define a spirit, and show some evidence of the spiritual world. If you can't, then it's a useless concept that's not reasonable to belive in. If you say it's "beyond science", then it's beyond observation, which means that we could never test to find out if it's true.

I could make up some random bullshit and say that it's "beyond science", or "we just don't know how it works", would you take it seriously?

Edited by 1CJB

I do believe. I've always been sensitive to such things, and it's only grown stronger with time. 

Besides being drawn to magick and paganism since I was a kid (which was tricky, since I grew up with Christian parents), I've had a few ghostly encounters here and there. 

I used to live in a house where the entrance to the attic was in my room. There was a hole up in the ceiling of my little closet, and a thin wooden board covering it. No one ever did anything with it. It was just.... there. 

Then it started moving one windy day. I knew the wind was moving it a little, though I was kind of confused, since we'd had windier days where the cover didn't move nearly as much. And I thought I heard scratching noises (which happened a lot at that house. We didn't know if it was squirrels or what). 

Something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't just the wind. I knew there was a presence in my room, and there had been for quite a few years. 

So I got a chair and brought it up to the doorway of the little closet. I started calling out to it (and, not being a super serious person, that meant saying, "ghosty? Ghooosty..."). And then I gently lifted up the wooden board that covered the entrance, just a few inches. 

Suddenly the cover rose up and SLAMMED back down. Realizing that the ghostie didn't want to be disturbed, I apologized to it, got down from the chair, and went about my daily business. 

There's also a little ghost boy in the basement of my family's current house (though they get mad and call me crazy if I mention it). I once heard him sitting behind me on the loveseat. Then another time he knocked a mirror over. I decided not to go into the basement after 10pm if I didn't have to. That was past his bedtime (I don't know how I know that. I just do). 

I've also dealt with clocks flying off the walls, strange music coming from nowhere, doors opening and closing or randomly stopping when they shouldn't, and other such things. 

Oh, and I knew a guy who performed an exorcism.  :blink: I'm just glad I wasn't there for that one... 

I'm skeptical when it comes to any paranormal activity (ghosts, aliens, demons, etc). However that doesn't prevent me from researching close encounters, stories, or locations with passion.

Some of the most convincing and fascinating evidence I've seen concerning exotic paranormal activity concerns the Skinwalker Ranch property in Nor'easter Utah, freaky stuff.

My question was, how do you know that it was beyond scientfic explaination?

Seems my last response was insufficient for you, I guess it's best I tell you it.

11 years ago while playing a video game, I recall hearing a sound from my right. Obviously I looked over there and there was a boy opening and looking into my built-in wardrobe. I remember saying something, can't remember what I said but he just ran out the room. After the event, the door was still open and I always keep that door closed. There's no way for me to explain that. If I just caught sight of him without hearing anything then you could call it an illusion but that would take some imagination to see such a thing. This was noon and the thing that really stumped me is the fact the door was open after I witnessed this. It's been years since I've experienced anything that could point to the paranormal and being in a different house now, there's no way I'll ever be able to explain that now. But to my knowledge of science, I can't explain that.

All my other experiences were out of place sounds that had no reason for them. They could be answered through science but the one with the kid in my house, no. However I'm still not saying it was a ghost because I don't 100% know. Could of been an actual kid but to be honest, what on Earth would a kid be doing going in my room and how did he even get in? Still, the point is I can't prove nor disprove either way, at least not 100%.

No, you just need to pay attention to what I say. I never claimed that the paranormal didn't exist, my point was that it's not reasonable to belive that it does.

The initial reason why I made a response to your quote in the first place was because you and StW were in deadlock and it appears we are too. Though I thought I'd make some points while I was at it. The thing is, 1CJB, the way you keep going on, you're pretty much painting a picture about yourself. You seem persistent in questioning others in here as you're doing with me. Everything I've said is to my knowledge and understanding, there's not much more to add to it now. It's good to be skeptical in things like Ghosts but you're a little too skeptical. At least that's the picture you're painting yourself in here.

That's truly a dumb thing to ask me, we can measure radio waves and their effects, they actually exist. I don't need to see the air or electromagnetic waves to know that they exist.

The point I wanted to make here was just because you can't see something doesn't mean it exists. Sure you can measure radio waves and obviously they're used, but that's because we have the technology to identify them. We don't quite have the technology to identify/detect Ghosts although Ghost hunters do use what they call a 'K-2 Meter' which they believe can pick up the electro waves of a spirit or something like that. I'm not an expert in Ghost hunting so I can't go much into detail.

Define a spirit, and show some evidence of the spiritual world. If you can't, then it's a useless concept that's not reasonable to believe in. If you say it's "beyond science", then it's beyond observation, which means that we could never test to find out if it's true.

I don't study them so I'm not going to know. Experiences, I've had but studying Ghost or anything in that area, I have not.

I could make up some random bullshit and say that it's "beyond science", or "we just don't know how it works", would you take it seriously?

Depends. If you said you saw a floating orb and just said "science can't prove it", no, that's not legitimate because the facts were never looked at fully or with logic. If however it was an experience like the one I've shared above, it's legitimate. I don't see anypony explaining my experience anytime soon, I can't anyway.

To be honest though, I couldn't care less. But I'm not going to condemn something I don't really know. I'll make my points as legitimate as I can. I like logic and what is real but I can accept that maybe there actually is something that lies beyond our comprehension.

Anyway, we're kind of going a little off topic here.

Edited by -Celestia-

I used to live in a house where the entrance to the attic was in my room. There was a hole up in the ceiling of my little closet, and a thin wooden board covering it. No one ever did anything with it. It was just.... there. 

Then it started moving one windy day. I knew the wind was moving it a little, though I was kind of confused, since we'd had windier days where the cover didn't move nearly as much. And I thought I heard scratching noises (which happened a lot at that house. We didn't know if it was squirrels or what). 

Something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't just the wind. I knew there was a presence in my room, and there had been for quite a few years. 

So I got a chair and brought it up to the doorway of the little closet. I started calling out to it (and, not being a super serious person, that meant saying, "ghosty? Ghooosty..."). And then I gently lifted up the wooden board that covered the entrance, just a few inches. 

Suddenly the cover rose up and SLAMMED back down. Realizing that the ghostie didn't want to be disturbed, I apologized to it, got down from the chair, and went about my daily business. 

That sounds an awful lot like it was caused by air pressure. If there was a strong draft of air entering your attic that was causing that board to shake, it would mean that there was greater air pressure on the attic side of the board than was in your room. When you lifted up the board (especially if a strong gust of wind passed by just as you were lifting the board) the air from the attic would have tried to rush in to your room where the air pressure was lower causing the board to slam back down with great force.

Never had ecountered anything paranormal, personally. But I do believe it is very real. A lot of it can be very sketchy, I know.

I know for sure my family has some experience. My father lived in a Funeral Home for a while, he told me quite a bit about it. Not much that I could bring up now. I've been there once before. Very eerie place. In certain areas. You could definitely feel a pressence around. Wasn't there for too long so I coudn't write a story about it..

• 2 years later...

Paranormal activities are subjects that may or may not exist, and if they do, they can't be clearly perceived by our current state. I can't remember of two ossibly paranormal activities:

1- This one was experienced by my mom when she was younger. She was at the roof of an apartment complex, and she went too close to the edge. She was about to fall, but was pulled from behind, but when she turned.... there was nothing. 

2-This one I've experienced myself mere months ago. It's nothing big, but sure it was strange. I was playing at late hours, to the point of getting past 3. I've decided that I've over did it. Took a bath, went to bed, and started to sleep.... then suddenly I've felt like something has gone through be, and became alerted from it, not to mention that my heart rate increased for no reason. I've stood awoken for a minute until my heart rate calmed down, and went back to sleep. Nothing else happened, no other presence, no nightmares, just another average day afterwards, but sure it was strange 

I don't believe in anything supernatural, therefore I don't believe in anything paranormal.

Surely I do and I'm glad many other people also do! Paranormal things are really fascinating to read or watch videos about, it's definitely something I do quite a lot (and manage to scare myself by doing so sometimes). Looking at paranormal things makes me feel like there's more to the world than just what we can see every day which obviously makes living feel more interesting.

I'm actually a big believer in it as I've communicated to the ghosts through my mind before. I once went on a night tour through an old jail that was haunted and it was a real interesting experience for me. In the jail kitchen there where two active ghosts. One was a really enthusiastic and happy kid called Johnny and he died at the age of 15 when he was working in that kitchen when an inmate broke into the kitchen and stabbed him to death. The inmate that killed Johnny is one of the ghosts in the kitchen and it's a lot darker than normal when the killer is present. But when I went Johnny was extremely happy to see me as he was talking to me though my mind and he was referring to me as his saviour like I brang him back to life in the far future to come. Even he went wee!!! And we could hear his footsteps as he was running and he clanged on the hanging frypans on the wall as he ran past them. I was even the same age as him when he died at the time of the tour and also my first name is the same as him. That's another explanation of why he got so excited over my presence in the kitchen and during the rest of the tour I could hear the inmates begging for me to not remove them from existence and to save them from their curses of evil. I was also talking back to them through my mind and I said that I promised to save them when I was well and truly ready. :)

I believe into extraterrestrial lifeforms and animals who are not known yet (like in the deep oceans). But I don't believe into ghosts, deities, demons and such creatures. I also think that all the paranormal phenomenons are logical explicable with physics, psychologics and medicine. 

I do believe in the paranormal. This includes ghosts, UFOs, Sasquatch and so on. I don't always swallow everything I see on TV, in books or by word of mouth, but I don't just discount it without consideration either. I have an open mind that seeks to understand things beyond the narrow view our senses (and resources) typically allow. I like to appraise evidence and put my mind and instincts to the task of finding the truth as it speaks to me. Others may or may not agree with my views and that's okay. It engages my own mind and that's all I require. 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/24/2017 at 7:05 AM, Jaspers said:

Surely I do and I'm glad many other people also do! Paranormal things are really fascinating to read or watch videos about, it's definitely something I do quite a lot (and manage to scare myself by doing so sometimes). Looking at paranormal things makes me feel like there's more to the world than just what we can see every day which obviously makes living feel more interesting.

Exactly how I feel.

I've never encountered or experienced anything of the paranormal variety myself, but I do believe there are things in the world that have yet to be fully explained and studied. I don't discredit those that say they experience them nor do I dismiss those that say they don't exist. I simply wish for answers and explanations, but I also like the idea of them staying paranormal or even straying into the realm of the supernatural, it adds mystery to this world. Honestly, I love the idea of paranormal and supernatural phenomena occurring under our noses. Part of me wants it to stay that way, the other wants to see it fully studied and explained.

7e3.jpg

But honestly have no reason to. Nothing paranormal has ever happened to me that I couldnt explain. Its like watching those ghost hunter shows where they hear a loud crash and they all go ape shit. But then later they find it was just a broom the producer knocked over because he was bored.

Spoiler

oh yes! I've seen some weird stuff around my house and there's literally no other way to describe it.. I'm totally fine with it as long as it doesnt do anything to me or harm me in any way 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...