Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Believe in Paranormal Activities

An Unknown Pony.

Can you give me a coherant definition of a "spirit" and show some evidence for their existence?

What are you talking about? Another plane of existence? I need some more explaination.

Expeirence and memory can be faulty. Humans don't play their memory back like a tape, memory is reconstructed and subject to our biases, opinions, etc.

How do you know that your experience was actually paranormal and not just your imagination?

All questions you ask can only be answered by seeking the the world of spirits yourself. Simply dismissing spirits as imagination however is a unwelcome bias but unfortunately cannot be forced to not be said as it's not in my nature ague such trivial opinions. As for memories, no one can forget an experience with the paranormal. The cold, electrostatic feeling that comes from such beings is something which is far beyond even science itself to explain. There are phenomena on this earth that are far beyond our comprehension, and to dismiss it as nothing is both foolish and closed minded. As for said closed mindedness, it's not for me to say that they should believe but it is for me to say that it's not something to at least look into. No human being will give the same answer. Spirits are a anomaly in the world, the reason they choose to not pass on maybe for a number of reasons. Whether it is emotional or they are bond to the location. Asking for an answer to something that will never be fully explained is like asking the meaning of life. We don't know that answer, but what we do know is what we will stand by.

Well, some people will never have experiences in their life. That'll happen. As for the cell phone thing, that's a tough one. It could be possible that a solar flare was messing up cellphone communication, so it's tricky to know if it's a spirit or not.

What about a cell phone? But yeah, lots of things can be causes of stuff like that, could be paranormal, could be science, I do not know and I dunno if anyone would figure that out. In my opinion people like to believe that stuff or like that, I am not quite sure or something. -shrug- I am sure there is an explanation for everything, just lots of things we will never find out. xD

• Brohoof 1

All questions you ask can only be answered by seeking the the world of spirits yourself.

I'm willing to belive anything provided their is good evidence. So far I have never once seen good evidence, only stories based on "personal experience".

Simply dismissing spirits as imagination however is a unwelcome bias but unfortunately cannot be forced to not be said as it's not in my nature ague such trivial opinions.

I didn't dismiss anything, I was aking you a question, which you seem to be avoiding.

As for memories, no one can forget an experience with the paranormal.

You're completly ignoring what I said about how memory works.

The cold, electrostatic feeling that comes from such beings is something which is far beyond even science itself to explain.

It's not beyond science, we know how feelings work. Feelings don't mean anything if your trying to provide a reasonable case for the existence of the paranormal.

There are phenomena on this earth that are far beyond our comprehension, and to dismiss it as nothing is both foolish and closed minded.

We haven't even established that said phenomenon are paranormal, your just telling stories. Sure there are things we don't understand, but making things up about what we don't understand is dishonest. If we don't know, we don't know, that doesn't mean paranormal.

I'm willing to belive anything provided their is good evidence. So far I have never once seen good evidence, only stories based on "personal experience".

I didn't dismiss anything, I was aking you a question, which you seem to be avoiding.

You're completly ignoring what I said about how memory works.

It's not beyond science, we know how feelings work. Feelings don't mean anything if your trying to provide a reasonable case for the existence of the paranormal.

We haven't even established that said phenomenon are paranormal, your just telling stories. Sure there are things we don't understand, but making things up about what we don't understand is dishonest. If we don't know, we don't know, that doesn't mean paranormal.

While personal experience maybe sometimes unreliable, going out there and seeing for yourself is better than just saying "Oh, it's fake and I don't believe you."

As for the me avoid things, I'm not avoiding anything. I'm just giving straight forward answers. Believing that nothing is beyond science, as much as I'm sure you are not wanting to hear this, is untrue. I understand that memory doesn't always work the way we want but let me reiterate; people do not forget an experience with the paranormal/supernatural when it comes to spirits. There are a few who will bastardize but that's why we must look beyond the stories and see for ourself what is true and false as far as what is told. Spiritual activity itself is random in when it happens. Sometimes it's a set time and day, sometimes it's a every day occurrence.

You are only partly right, allot of things don't always have to be paranormal/spiritual that are unknown. The spirits however have more connection with this world than you may think though. Weather is one thing that can be affected by the spirits. In any case, the only dishonest ones are those who are willing tell themselves that because they don't see it, that it's not real. I am not being dishonest, just making my point. If you wish to call me dishonest, you're welcome to. I cannot expect you to believe me.

Not really, I have no reason to personally believe such things either from experience, evidence or argumentation.

An by the way, I don't believe in the film franchise either, I lost interest after the second one came out. I think they've been dragging it on honestly.

While personal experience maybe sometimes unreliable, going out there and seeing for yourself is better than just saying "Oh, it's fake and I don't believe you."

Everything I've said so far has gone completly over your head. I hate it when people put words in my mouth.

Edited by 1CJB

I did at one point, but not anymore. I don't believe in any supernatural things at this point. One of the factors to this was back in 2007, me, my brother and his girlfriend stayed at Waverley Hills Asylum, supposedly one of the most haunted places on the planet, for 5 hours and we experienced nothing, expect maybe some very slight noises that could have been anything.

I like the idea of scary paranormal stuff, like in movies or games, but 'real life' paranormal, meh, I don't see any of it as real.

Yea, so are sleep paralysis. I had one once, it was horrible.

I've had it a few times and it is pretty annoying.

I also start seeing things move out of the corner of my eye when I haven't got enough sleep.

I've had it a few times and it is pretty annoying.

I also start seeing things move out of the corner of my eye when I haven't got enough sleep.

I thought I was going to die when i had it, the whole left part of my body went numb.

Yea, so are sleep paralysis. I had one once, it was horrible.

I had it this morning. Its not scary when you know what it is, at least for me. It felt like some creature crawled on my bed and sat on my back, but when I stopped thinking about it, it went away.

I imagine it's just the fear manifesting itself.

I had it this morning. Its not scary when you know what it is, at least for me. It felt like some creature crawled on my bed and sat on my back, but when I stopped thinking about it, it went away.

I imagine it's just the fear manifesting itself.

Well I had no idea what it was, I had to Google it.

I thought I was going to die when i had it, the whole left part of my body went numb.

I don't think I've ever had it that bad  :blink:

Oh the other thing I get is when I'm drifting in and out of sleep I start getting dreams confused with things that actually happen. That's fun :P

Oh the other thing I get is when I'm drifting in and out of sleep I start getting dreams confused with things that actually happen. That's fun :P

I looked it up, it's sort of like a brain burp. Like with chemicals in the brain.

I once was laying in bed in the morning after having woken up but I was still super out of it, and I was worried someone was in my house so I grabbed a fighting stick thats at the side of my bed, but I felt like I could barely move. A little while later I discovered the fighting stick was not by my bed. It was weird.

I looked it up, it's sort of like a brain burp. Like with chemicals in the brain.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the paralysis is supposed to keep you from moving around in your sleep, but sometimes the paralysis remains while you're conscious.

Hello!

Haha! As with all my posts in the past, I'll try to be quick to the point.  :toldya:  (Awesome new emoticons Forum gods!)

I tend to not believe in paranormal activities. I believe in spirits and all sorts of energies but ghosts? Nah. Though, the funny thing is and I think most people here will agree with me, we all tend to magically become believers when we suddenly apear in a situation where we are all alone in a dark and cold place like a forest. G'aaah! :eww: Gives me chills even thinking about it!

Edited by Concord

Yeah, if I remember correctly the paralysis is supposed to keep you from moving around in your sleep, but sometimes the paralysis remains while you're conscious.

Yea, I was trying to move my arm up but couldn't. I hear wiggling your toes breaks it.

I once was laying in bed in the morning after having woken up but I was still super out of it, and I was worried someone was in my house so I grabbed a fighting stick thats at the side of my bed, but I felt like I could barely move. A little while later I discovered the fighting stick was not by my bed. It was weird.

The one time I really felt foolish was when my mom's dog kept peeing on stuff, and I actually dreamed about him peeing on my stuff one morning. So my mom heard me yelling at him from across the house while he was still in the same room with her.

Though, the funny thing is and I think most people here will agree with me, we all tend to magically become believers when we suddenly apear in a situation where we are all alone in a dark and cold place like a forest. 

I usually become a believer like that after watching a movie that scares me. After watching The Ring for the first time, for the next week or so I had to sleep with the lights on and made a wide berth around any television screen I saw.

• Brohoof 1

I usually become a believer like that after watching a movie that scares me. After watching The Ring for the first time, for the next week or so I had to sleep with the lights on and made a wide berth around any television screen I saw.

Haha! Exactly! :) When it comes to movies I had similar experiences after watching Mirrors. Couldn't stare at a Mirror for a week or two.

Everything I've said so far has gone completly over your head. I hate it when people put words in my mouth.

Well actually, Sadist the Wanderer has answered you. I think the problem is the way Sadist expresses his answers. The main point is when it comes to Spirits/Ghosts, it's not something you can teach nor force one to believe in such an existence, especially if they're extremely skeptical. For a skeptic/somepony that refuses to believe in something even when they actually experience the paranormal themselves, whatever a believer says to them, it's usually counteracted by science or logic. I admit a long time ago I didn't believe in such things myself, everytime I experienced a seemingly paranormal phenomena or saw reality programs like Ghost Hunters, I'd try my best to explain it from a science perspective. In other words I would simply ignore spirituality and cover it up with science right away.

Both of you are on opposite sides and it's futile for either of you to debate the subject in question because you both, being a believer and a skeptic, cannot ever come to a proper conclusion. I'm a believer myself and that's because of two things: I have experienced a few things that science can't explain, this doesn't mean what I experienced was anything to do with Ghosts but it's got me interested in the sense of the paranormal. And also because I do believe there is more to life than just a body of flesh and blood.

I'd argue that you might not have any evidence to say Ghosts exist, but at the same time you don't have any proof to say they don't exist. It might be pointless to know the true anyway, what use would I get from knowing truly if they exist? nothing. If you want to believe, you will, if you don't want to, you won't believe, regardless. I'd also stress to believers because a lot of believes also make the same mistake and immediately look towards spirituality for answers while completely dismissing science.

There's two sides to every story. If you want answers, pay attention to both sides. There's a place for both spirituality and science. I always look at each side before coming to a conclusion. Bottom line for me and to answer the Op's question; I do believe but at the same time, I don't immediately say that an unexplainable event has to do with the paranormal. I'll always check the facts and logic before making my mind up.

Edited by -Celestia-
  • Brohoof 2

For a skeptic/somepony that refuses to believe in something even when they actually experience the paranormal themselves

It went over your head aswell. Lets see if I can clear things up. How do you know that what you experienced was paranormal? This is what I was asking him. He replied with "you don't forget something like that" completly ignoring what I said about how memory is reconstructed. Another point, we don't percieve the world perfectly, our senses are not perfectly reliable. People can confuse dreams/hallucinations with reality.

I have experienced a few things that science can't explain,

How do you know that?

I'd argue that you might not have any evidence to say Ghosts exist, but at the same time you don't have any proof to say they don't exist.

Do you have any proof that magical unicorns don't exist? The burdan of proof is on the person making the claim, it's not up to me to prove a negitive.

It might be pointless to know the true anyway, what use would I get from knowing truly if they exist?

You're missing the entire point.

On another note, I've had sleep paralysis before, I was frozen and my heart was racing. I saw some kind of masked murderer in my room. Was my experience paranormal? or was it just a hallucination? The latter is a more reasonable explanation because we know that hallucinations can happen (especially in a sleepy state) and we know how they work. "Paranormal" is just a label that people slap on to things they do not understand, and its quiet annoying.

Edited by 1CJB