Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Total War VS Sid Meier's Civilization

Vox

So, which series do you prefer and why?

I've always had a preference for the Total War Series as it presents real time combat on a massive scale. 

• Brohoof 1

Never played Total War, though the  upcoming Total War Atilla looks cool.

I love Civ 5 though, probably one of my favorite games ever, but Beyond Earth is "meh" in my opinion. I just can't seem to get into it, despite the 100+ hours I've spent playing Civ 5, I just can't keep playing Beyond Earth.  :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

I love the Civ games(haven't played Beyond Earth), and I love Total War. It is a really hard decision, the one thing that keeps Civilization from blowing away Total War imo is the terrible diplomacy and AI, it just really hurts the experience imo. I will say that I do like Civ more though, especially with pony mods.

• Brohoof 1

Only ever played Rome: Total War, and I had great fun with it.... But I was no good.

Civ however, I've played Civ 5 and Civ Revolution on Xbox 360 a ton. I'd have to say that I probably had more fun on the Civ games overall compared to Total War.

I'm an absolutely Total War lover. I adore the series.

Medieval 2 Total War FTW.  :lol:

I am a fan of both, however if we do not include mods than Civilization wins hands down.

Civilization is all about managment, building, diplomacy, and different ways to win and I find them extreamly replayable. Total war on the other hand, the campaign part of the game is a lot less developed (its all about the battles), AI is lacking, every aspect is about war, conquest is the only victory type. The battles are often fun when I want to fight them but they get repetative, so the total war games that I have played (Medieval Total war 1 and 2, and Rome Total War, plus the expansions for those games) are more of a 'play the game every once in a while' sort of game. They don't have the addictive hook that the Civ games that I have played have (Civ 3 and Civ 5).

However, when you figure in mods, then Total War wins because it has one of, if not the greatest, computer game mods in existance, Europa Barbarorum.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?454-Europa-Barbarorum-II

I love that mod so much, its so historically accurate (which I love as a History fan) and it greatly improoves both the battle half and the campaign half of the game.

For instance, no more conquring a province and being able to train your best units there instantly with a baracks that you gained from another culture, you have to colonize a new province first and convert it to your culture if you want to train anything other than locals there.

Edited by Zoraxe

Civilization hands down. My reasons being

• I've played over 1000 hours of Civ games, and only 4 hours of Empire: Total War according to steam. 
  • I prefer Turn based games to RTS ones.
  • Civilization goes from the stone age to the future, whereas Total War games focus on one point in time.
  • You gotta love Ghandi in Civ Games. Him, and his nukes  :o
  • Brohoof 2

I have spent a lot more time on civ 5 games, but I still have to side with total war games.

Civ 5 is a lot of micromanagement with numbers and little symbols and the turn based tile combat in it is rather boring.

While I appreciate that Total war games have their own problems (hoo boy yes they do), I just find the combat to be all the more worth it. The real time combat can allow for serious enjoyment as you pull off strategic moves that are on such a huge scale.

If you take a game like Total war Shogun 2, the hours I spent on that game were filled with exciting combat, fun and then battling a bug from the game.

While my time in Civ 5, however addicting, was mostly spent in boredom or trying to get the multiplayer to work.

To be honest reflecting on this post, its kind of hard to pit them up against eachother as they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Total war is a more live strategic combat game with some micromanaging of bases and diplomacy. While Civilization is a lot more of the micromanaging and contains quite in depth systems for that.

Both games have a good capacity for fun, but at the same time have the capacity to be extremely boring and buggy. In reality the only way you could really say one is better than the other is from your own personal preferences and what you like to do and how you like to play in a strategy game.

In the end what would you like to do?

Eradicate the Gauls?

or get eradicated by ghandi?  :lol:

Civilization hands down. My reasons being

• I've played over 1000 hours of Civ games, and only 4 hours of Empire: Total War according to steam. 
  • I prefer Turn based games to RTS ones.
  • Civilization goes from the stone age to the future, whereas Total War games focus on one point in time.
  • You gotta love Ghandi in Civ Games. Him, and his nukes  :o

I hate Ghandi, he is literally the worst even more so than some of the modded factions like Kim Jong Un or Hitler. Even though he is an AI he is super powerful.

Civilization. :fluttershy:

I've only really played Civilization V, and Revolution back in the day, but I've played quite a bit over the years (not sure about Rev, but I think I have at least over 300 hours in V, or in other words, a quarter of a single game. Steam currently only says ~130, but I've played a lot more on an older account). Not so much BE though, it felt too bland and empty for my taste ...

I've also played some of the Total War games, i.e. Medieval II, Empire, and Napoleon, but they didn't really hold my interest for long. Not that I didn't like them, they just aren't really my thing.

Turn-based combat seems to be more up my alley, and even though the AI in Civ is a little ... odd, I personally find that it makes the game a bit more interesting. :P

Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna go and continue playing favourites and only protecting civs I like, while letting them conquer anything they want playing peacekeeper as Canada, while simultaneously spreading the word of GabeN through Gabenism. :kindness: