Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc (Accepting) Equestria: 1955

Mand'alor Dash

It's up.

I want to do an RP based on a reimagined Equestria themed after America in the 1950s. So that means a whole lot of rockabilly, suburbs, big business in big cities, science, atom paranoia, racism, Redbaiting, and yes, even a pony Mafia.

Players are allowed to play as Equestrians from all walks of life, with the only real rules being in service of the setting and general common sense:

1) No Alicorns or Mary Sues.

This rule is non-negotiable. You are allowed to pick between the three typical pony races, as well as Zebras, Griffons, Changelings (more on them later), and Donkeys. You are then allowed to specialize in one and only one of the listed talents. Consider it your "special" talent.

- Driving

- Running (Earth Ponies and Donkeys only)

- Flying (Pegasi and Griffons only)

- Magic (Within reason; Unicorns and Zebras only)

- Dexterity (Affects your ability to work with your hooves and/or telekinesis)

- Combat: Melee

- Combat: Short range (pistols, SMGs, etc)

- Combat: Long range (snipers)

- Intelligence (affects your use of technology)

- Charisma (affects your ability to sway NPCs, and occasionally other PCs, to your way of thinking)

- Stealth (Changelings have this by default, but may pick a second talent. This is the only exception to the one per character rule.)

You must then pick one trait to be "weak" in, and thus have no chance of ever succeeding in. The same rules apply, so I don't want any smartass unicorns picking "Flying" as their weakness. Changelings, as they have two strengths, will pick two weaknesses.

Bear in mind also that Charisma is not an instant "Win the game button" when it comes to interacting with other characters. For example, if you are playing as a high school senior trying to get Sweet Jenny Gelatin to go with him to prom, then she might not even be interested in charisma. She could be interested in a good driver, a skilled athlete, or even a smart nerd. Charisma only helps to convince people of things when they already have a reason to listen to you.

EDIT: 1.5) No character features that don't belong on your chosen species.

The only supernatural/scientific/whatever elements included in this RP are those that explicitly exist in either the show proper, or in the 50s. No ghosts, no vampires, no zombies, no demons, etc.

2) A little discrimination is setting appropriate.

Just don't go overboard. No, it isn't clever to make puns out of real-world slurs. If you're going to make a character racist, try to be consistent about what groups they do and don't like, and try to play off of in-universe stereotypes when writing that character's dialogue.

For instance, even though Zebra characters are not required to rhyme their dialogue, it would fit with the setting if certain Pony characters were to refer to Zebras as "Rhymers" or "Lyrics."

Keep in mind as well that it is also setting appropriate for a character to strongly oppose racism, or to discriminate on factors such as patriotism and ideology. Keep in mind that other characters will judge and prejudge yours based on every single trait you give them. Some characters will be more fond of a racist character, others will see them as bigoted and hateful, while still others will see one type of racism as wrong and another type as justified.

It leads to very complex relationships between characters, so be sure to keep your character's views and prejudices completely straight.

2.5) A note on gay characters.

This is something I didn't want to address, but feel I have to now that it has become a frequently asked question. I feel these rules are fair, and I added them not to tread on anybody's toes, but to encourage creative characterization and avoid cliches and soapboxing.

Are homosexual characters allowed? The short answer is yes. The long answer is that the are for right now, but that may change if I feel the character trait is being abused. Remember: Homosexuality is a character trait, and as with all character traits, it would look daftly silly if every character had a bright red mane or a speech impediment.

Are gay characters subject to the same prejudices as Zebras or other non-pony species? Yes, but as with all in-universe prejudices, this is strictly an undertone. There are no angry mobs or government crackdowns on sexuality. Don't try to make the whole story about you, else we're back to the Mary Sue problem.

Are homosexual relationships allowed? Again, yes, but as with heterosexual relationships, please only pursue them with other player characters. NPCs and DM characters are NOT romanceable, and this goes especially for canon characters. Relationships in general should only be a subplot anyway, and shouldn't dominate your character's personal arc. Additionally, please remember to follow the site rules. You know the ones I'm talking about. :blush:

Are you allowed to be overly-dramatic or angsty about sexuality? NO. EQ1955 is NOT a soapbox for your politics, nor is it a teen drama about finding acceptance. Characters should be written with nuance, not angst. Please do not use this or any other character trait to make your character "special" or "a delicate flower oppressed and stepped on by this intolerant world," or else we're back to the Mary Sue problem.

3) Changelings are the enemies of Equestria.

Ultimately, your character's motivations are your own choice, but if they knowingly aid, harbor, or do anything to help a Changeling, then expect the Equestrian government to retaliate hard and fast. For this reason, Changeling players are to treat all Equestrian characters as enemies, and do all within their power to keep their secret safe.

4) Permadeath

Characters can die at any time, for any reason. Sometimes dramatically, other times not so much. It doesn't matter what stage they were in their personal story. Death is death. Keep your character alive, because if they die, then there is no bringing them back. You can either start a new one from scratch, or jump into an NPC with DM approval.

You may be barred from the RP if too many of your characters die within a very short time, or if it is determined that your characters lack a survival instinct.

5) Do not feel obligated to form parties.

If one player wants to play as celebrated Donkey pundit Edward R. Muleo, and another wants to play as a hard-boiled Griffin cop trying to expose the mob's dirty secrets, then there is very little reason why their paths would ever need to intersect. Feel free to create some NPCs and tell an interesting story, provided you remember that all character stories in this RP are part of the same universe.

Parties should be reserved for when two or more characters would realistically team up.

6) RP is open forever!

I don't want this to be limited to just a small group of people, or even a decently large group of people. If any user in the future wishes to get their 50s on, and is willing to follow the rules, I say let 'em! Theoretically speaking, there are an infinite number of characters that can be taken on in a setting such as this, with my only real concern being that if the thread/world gets too big, we may need to get more DMs to keep everything straight.

6.5) Read the entire RP thread before joining.

The above rule has been amended in light of the RP taking a direction that I had never predicted. This isn't an SOL RP, and revolves around an ever-evolving storyline. All players are expected to read and keep up with the entire storyline to avoid conflicts with canon. If the thread gets to be massive (30 pages), then I will allow current players to offer summaries in the OOC thread for prospective players in place of reading through the entire thing. You are still expected to keep up with new events as they develop.

And 7) OCs only. No canon characters.

The only canon characters I plan to include in any capacity are Celestia and Luna as presidential candidates. And even then, they are most definitely going to be NPCs. There is no reason to involve any other canon characters at this point.

Feel free to give feedback.

CHARACTER ROSTER (so far)

Malachi (Gloomfury): Male Earth Pony; caporegime in a local mob family. Strength: melee combat. Weakness: long-range combat.

Zephyr (HunterTSN): Female Pegasus; mailmare. Strength: flight. Weakness: intelligence.

Vibrant (HunterTSN): Male Changeling; hairdresser. Strength: stealth/charisma. Weakness: melee/short range combat.

Thrillseeker (Yoshi89): Male Pegasus; ride operator at Poney Island. Strength: dexterity. Weakness: melee combat.

Gloomfury (Gloomfury): Male Earth Pony; mercenary. Strength: melee combat. Weakness: driving.

Renegade (Renegade the Unicorn): Male Unicorn; Police officer. Strength: intelligence. Weakness: driving.

Aha'ban Steelwings (Illusive Pony): Male Pegasus; mercenary. Strength: combat (short range firearms). Weakness: charisma.

Bulawayo (Illusive Pony): Male Zebra; Mercenary. Strength: combat (short range firearms). Weakness: driving.

Marble Sketch (Marble Sketch): Female Pegasus, Prench soldier. Strength: stealth. Weakness: driving. (Dropped out)

Twelve Gauge (HunterTSN): Male Unicorn, Prench soldier. Strength: combat (short range firearms). Weakness: Charisma.

Ringo (Megurine_Luka): Male Earth Pony, bartender. Strength: dexterity. Weakness: long range firearms.

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

This sounds pretty good. I'd like to sign up with my OC Malachi. And I'd like for his special talent to be melee combat. His the think we'll be weak in is long range combat.

Alright. Looks good. However, I should have mentioned this in the OP, but non-pony features on pony characters are not allowed. This RP has a realistic tone, so the only supernatural elements included are those specifically canonized in the show proper.

Malachi can still be the son of a mob boss, and he can still be the Capo, but I'm afraid the horns are not allowed.

@@Mand'alor Dash,

About the only thing it dose is glow redder then it is when he's around anyone with a lot of darkness in their heats or when he's really excited. That's about it.

Well, that would be fine in an occult RP, or in an RP that allows superpowers or something. But it really wouldn't fit at all in this one.

I'm afraid there isn't even such a thing as "darkness" in this game, and even reinterpreting its meaning would mean an unfair advantage against stealth-based characters. (e.g. Changelings)

@@Mand'alor Dash,

I don't see how. I doubt there're be a lot of Changelings in this RP. I also doubt that all of them will be evil.  And the reinterpretation mostly appeal OCs who ar most like to have, in lack of a better word, bad karma. Like they like to hurt others or have very low morals. It's wouldn't really give him an advantage. I mean he works in the mob, so it pretty much glows a lot. 

@@Mand'alor Dash,

I don't see how. I doubt there're be a lot of Changelings in this RP. I also doubt that all of them will be evil.  And the reinterpretation mostly appeal OCs who ar most like to have, in lack of a better word, bad karma. Like they like to hurt others or have very low morals. It's wouldn't really give him an advantage. I mean he works in the mob, so it pretty much glows a lot. 

I suppose so, just as long as, again, it doesn't denote literal relation to a demon. I guess you could pass it off as some sort of "pinkie sense" thing.

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Well he's half demon, because if father is one and his mother is a normal pony. But other then his eye, horn and sharp teeth, he's a normal earth pony. But he'll just have his eye and teeth in this RP. But the whole half demon thing doesn't really matter all that much.

Consider it an "alternate universe" version of this character, where he isn't the son of a demon.

sooo how does one sign up? because my oc Ice mane is basicly what my profile pic is

Just follow typical forum RP rules and pick out your character traits.

ok im siging up with my oc Ice mane shes an earth pony kinda crazy random and funny like pinkie pie her best traits are kindness and laughter she has a darker side and her weakness is making friends becasue she comes on strong

Read the OP. There's more going into it than that.

ok  so how does that affect the charcter i gave you i listed a strengh and a  weakness i guess i dident add combat skill

okay i get it know you habe to make one on the thing so you can give a link to it srry

You could also work on your prose. RPs need to have proper pronunciation.

And yes, you still need to pick strengths and weaknesses from the list, and choose your role in the gameworld.