Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Favorite Thing About My Little Pony?

Petrus

The characters: One of the things that makes a well known show good is its characters. If you have interesting characters with goals and a backstory, then the more likely we can support their goals and relate to their experiences. With the former, the more we support a character's goals, the more we want to watch the next episode to see what happens to them next.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is no exception. Sure, it may not do it as much as other good cartoons, but it's certainly rather continuity driven. Because the writers actually stick to strong continuity, it feels very satisfying to see a pony achieve a goal they've been pursuing since Season 1.

I also remember watching a rather silly video about an anti-brony ranting on on how liking the show for the characters and the story is a bad idea, simply because he thinks that MLP:FiM is a comedy and a comedy only. Granted, MLP:FiM does do a little sitcom from time to time, but hearing this rant makes me wonder if he knows anything about writing, as good and relatable characters mean more curious viewers.

The art style: The character designs of MLP:FiM are very strong and are a good case of the idiom "less is more". What I find to be the highlight of their designs is their mane and tail. According to Lauren Faust, she was going to give the Mane 6 different body shapes, but had to go for large mane styles instead just to avoid the excessive amount of Flash puppets. And to me, this decision is for the better.

The Mane 6's manes and tails come in different shapes and sizes that it's very easy to tell who is who. Even if you remove their manes, you can still tell who is who from their noticeable tails. The colour choices of each of the Mane 6 is great, too. All of them have colours that tie in with their personalities, like how Twilight is apart of royalty (purple), how Fluttershy is timid (yellow) and how Rainbow is the Element of Loyalty. (blue)

The fandom: While this fandom isn't perfect, it's certainly the one I'm most comfortable in. For the longest time, I've been in the Pokémon fandom, but my experiences there weren't the greatest. Either a lot of people were too pessimistic for my tastes or too obnoxious. One person could say that the MLP:FiM fandom is like that, but I say that it applies to all fandoms. And as much I am fine with an anti-brony's opinion on the fandom, I think that this fandom has made me into a better person.

From the music to the animations to the charities, bronies are a really dedicated bunch, which is great to see compared to how inactive the other fandoms I've been in were. Not only that, but I've talked to so many in this fandom that it has greatly improved on my social skills. I am very thankful for what the fandom has done.

Edited by The Snowy Odyssey
  • Brohoof 3

I had been in between series for a while prior to coming across FiM. I had since gotten over a 90s nostalgia wave and was looking for something with the same charm as the classics, but non-nostalgic(for me) and possibly modern. I wasn't married to the idea of going for an animated show, because I thought that was a dying art, at least in NA, but FiM has all of that in spades. I also enjoy stuff with anthropomorphic animals for some reason. Don't ask why, because I really don't know the answer to that myself. That wasn't one of my criteria for a series either, but FiM has that too.

As for why I've stuck around thus far(even though it has technically only been several months), I guess I really like the characters, the lessons and the music as well as the show's ability to balance serious action plots and comedic slice of life episodes. I also like the comics and I plan on checking out the novels at some point. There is a great community behind this series too, and I always love a good forum, which this place is.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 2

Well i always hated gender stereotypes and doing this felt like a good way to rebel.

Also its a really amazing show!!!!

Well said friend... I completely agree and that's kind of how my friend got started, he pretty much just said "F#%k it!" to the world and watched, and loved it

• Brohoof 2

Not sure I can narrow it to just ONE thing.

It's all these little awesome things that make an amazing whole.

I love the art style, the lore, the humor, and the community and just the awesome sort of "movement" the show has spawned.

• 1 month later...

To be honest you guys, I'm just curious as to what you guys feel are YOUR favorite things about the show! For example my favorite things about the show are, the art style, and Rainbow Dash. 

i dunno the humour the characters the art style Dash obviously what isn't to like?

The characters: One of the things that makes a well known show good is its characters. If you have interesting characters with goals and a backstory, then the more likely we can support their goals and relate to their experiences. With the former, the more we support a character's goals, the more we want to watch the next episode to see what happens to them next.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is no exception. Sure, it may not do it as much as other good cartoons, but it's certainly rather continuity driven. Because the writers actually stick to strong continuity, it feels very satisfying to see a pony achieve a goal they've been pursuing since Season 1.

I also remember watching a rather silly video about an anti-brony ranting on on how liking the show for the characters and the story is a bad idea, simply because he thinks that MLP:FiM is a comedy and a comedy only. Granted, MLP:FiM does do a little sitcom from time to time, but hearing this rant makes me wonder if he knows anything about writing, as good and relatable characters mean more curious viewers.

The art style: The character designs of MLP:FiM are very strong and are a good case of the idiom "less is more". What I find to be the highlight of their designs is their mane and tail. According to Lauren Faust, she was going to give the Mane 6 different body shapes, but had to go for large mane styles instead just to avoid the excessive amount of Flash puppets. And to me, this decision is for the better.

The Mane 6's manes and tails come in different shapes and sizes that it's very easy to tell who is who. Even if you remove their manes, you can still tell who is who from their noticeable tails. The colour choices of each of the Mane 6 is great, too. All of them have colours that tie in with their personalities, like how Twilight is apart of royalty (purple), how Fluttershy is timid (yellow) and how Rainbow is the Element of Loyalty. (blue)

The fandom: While this fandom isn't perfect, it's certainly the one I'm most comfortable in. For the longest time, I've been in the Pokémon fandom, but my experiences there weren't the greatest. Either a lot of people were too pessimistic for my tastes or too obnoxious. One person could say that the MLP:FiM fandom is like that, but I say that it applies to all fandoms. And as much I am fine with an anti-brony's opinion on the fandom, I think that this fandom has made me into a better person.

From the music to the animations to the charities, bronies are a really dedicated bunch, which is great to see compared to how inactive the other fandoms I've been in were. Not only that, but I've talked to so many in this fandom that it has greatly improved on my social skills. I am very thankful for what the fandom has done.

While I have to agree with you on most of your points, my favorite part of the show is the songs.  They're always really bucking good (not counting the CMC theme song of course).  Although, to be fair, I'm probably a little bit biased.  As far back as I can remember, I've always loved listening to all different ganras of music and loved singing even more (singing well I might add #humble_brag).  In fact, if I were a pony in equestria, my cutie mark would probably be a microphone or something else along those lines.  All in all though, I really like the songs 

While I have to agree with you on most of your points, my favorite part of the show is the songs.  They're always really bucking good (not counting the CMC theme song of course).  Although, to be fair, I'm probably a little bit biased.  As far back as I can remember, I've always loved listening to all different ganras of music and loved singing even more (singing well I might add #humble_brag).  In fact, if I were a pony in equestria, my cutie mark would probably be a microphone or something else along those lines.  All in all though, I really like the songs 

Also, about the fandom, I wouldn't be surprise if it made me you or anyone else into a better person.  The Brony motto is "love and tolerate" after all.

• Brohoof 1

One of the things that originaly struck me was that the songs/music numbers in this show for little girls was much better than it had any business being.

I've always been a fan of good songs synced with good choreography and FIM does it surprisingly well.

For me it has to be the characters. The creators took a franchise that was dead and so horribly sugary it costs you your teeth just looking at it and gave it actual, fleshed out characters with personalities and the flaws that go along with them. The redesigned art style really fits the new characters and I think they've become more expressive than ever because of the anime-like style.

Aside from that, the music is great. I'll admit sometimes the lyrics don't make a whole lot of sense but overall they get their point across and I find myself completely unable to get any of them out of my head.

Lastly, they manage to get the emotional note just right. It's never overbearing but it does touch, as intended. I'm sure the next seasons, especially the final one, will be absolutely gut-wrenching.

• 5 years later...
On 1/24/2015 at 8:38 PM, Bakugou is my Man said:

I love everything about the show!

Except for RainbowDash.

I also love everything about the show...Except for Rainbow Dash and Starlight Glimmer. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Characters. What else can I say? Characters in mlp are great!

Fandom. This is really important one for me and the only reason I'm still a brony. The show itself is just a bit above the average cartoons, sorry

• Brohoof 1

The characters.   They are as wonderful as they are adorable.  If it hadn’t been for them I wouldn’t have touched the show because the characters are what made it what it was for me. 

The fandom.  Especially the dedicated ones that are still here.  It’s a great community.  One of the best I’ve been apart of.  

Fanmade content. 

And the  music especially in the earlier seasons. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...