Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think that bronies will ever be accepted into society?

Night Wing

I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that don't really care and there will be those that think it's some sort of social deviancy.  Just like there are those that think being a furry is some sort of fetish and those that don't.  I hope there will be a day when bronies are accepted but that day may take a while to come around.

• Brohoof 4

Bronies are already accepted the fandom is just not hugely popular among the casual audience, a TV show like Adventure Time which is childlike yet has adult humor to an extent, is reconsigned worldwide because it doesn't have a set demographic and no-one would really care if you're a fan or not. Whereas MLP is intended for girls therefore if men watch the show they're suddenly branded as gay, pedophiles and weird, Bronies are known and accepted it's just the way people perceive us which is negative at first.

What society needs to accept is, it's fine for MEN to like FEMALE related activities, shows and more.

:rarity:

• Brohoof 6

I want to say no (speaking from a U.S. perspective)

Its possible, but it will be much harder than the star trek fans.

With the star trek fans, they were just "weird". With bronies, we're weird plus we watch a show intended for females.

In the U.S. there is a double standard when it comes to breaking gender roles.

It's much easier for females than males.

For example, a mother writes in a blog (and this is real), that when her daughter plays sports or plays pretend doctor instead of nurse, she gets nods of approval for allowing her daughter to transcend her gender roles.

When her son wanted a doll for Christmas or when he asks to get his nails painted, other parents warn that she'll "turn him gay". The mother also refuses to get him a pink, floral bike helmet because she worries he'll get bullied. When was the last time a girl was bullied for wearing jeans, a traditionally male attire?

It may seem as if men are the victim, but just the opposite.

In the U.S., we live in a patriarchy. The general idea has always been "men are superior, women are inferior".

Bronies are at a disadvantage because we "moved down" whereas when women watch something for men they're "being cool. She watches dragon ball z". In other words, she "moved up". Like one of the teens said in those teen react videos on bronies, no one criticized her for liking buzz lightyear. Why must that be?

So while I hope that bronies will be acceoted someday, from my years as a Mass Media student, I think it will take more than time, but rather a big reform in the general public's idea of femininity.

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 10

if they're a person who simply likes the show, and only speaks about it to people who are interested, thats okay. But someone who dresses in pink shirts with the mane6 on it, or wears pony costumes in public... stay away from me.

• Brohoof 1

Being 'accepted' ain't really a problem to begin with. We do our thing everyone else does their's. Nothing to it. In a way I kind of like being in a separate society if you know what I mean. What difference would it even make anyway?

Why should we even care?

Edited by -Celestia-
  • Brohoof 2

if they're a person who simply likes the show, and only speaks about it to people who are interested, thats okay. But someone who dresses in pink shirts with the mane6 on it, or wears pony costumes in public... stay away from me.

I can understand people in costume (I've always found mascots and the like creepy anyways) but what's wrong with pink, brah?

• Brohoof 5

I can understand people in costume (I've always found mascots and the like creepy anyways) but what's wrong with pink, brah?

nothing wrong with pink. thats why i said pink with the mane6 on it. that definitely gives a seriously wrong impression. i wont hate anyone for doing it, i wont make fun, but ill be sure to keep my distance

• Brohoof 1

Like we are quite literally the gayest people in the world (according to other people from the midlands) the people here aren't like accepting of boys who don't like typical boy things or boys that like things that are streotippicly for girls

Edited by Sparkle Sword
  • Brohoof 1

Over time, a lot of stigmas go away.

Somebody mentioned Star Trek, and that's a good example. You used to be a loser for liking Star Trek, now its a badge of honor. Gamers were looked down on, now you're hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't at least play Angry Birds or something. Given enough time, the MLP fandom could become as accepted as any other. We've already got some good momentum behind us, I meet more and more bronies every day. As the fandom grows in population, it will become more acceptable.

• Brohoof 4

Eventually. People are too single-minded and intolerant of the "abnormal" (at least in the US), so it'll be a while for universal acceptance (or close to that).

• Brohoof 1

i personally hope so because there is nothing wrong with bronies

We probably won't be "accepted." And you know what else? I don't care, and neither should you. It's just a TV show. If someone has a problem with you liking something, are you seriously going to descend to their level and take offence to it?

And yes, there are problems with the fandom, so I wouldn't exactly blame someone for hating it.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 7

nothing wrong with pink. thats why i said pink with the mane6 on it. that definitely gives a seriously wrong impression. i wont hate anyone for doing it, i wont make fun, but ill be sure to keep my distance

And what impression would that be, exactly?

• Brohoof 3

In time, it's quite possible.

I don't care either way, I'll keep doing what I want and liking what I want without apologizing and I hope others will regardless. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know but I'm not the one clamoring to be accepted by a society that tolerates a violent sport that results in head injuries for a significant number of people and allow their children to get involved in it. And it's also the society that generally does not value femininity which is why males are criticized for watching it due to the belief that female things are inferior even though few would go out and say that directly. It's the implication underneath all of it. If society would become individualistic then being accepted would no longer be seen as important and yet that's what we should desire most.

• Brohoof 3

And yes, there are problems with the fandom, so I wouldn't exactly blame someone for hating it.

It's not the fandom that's the problem, it's the idiots that get a bit too excited over things *hint hint* but I won't go into detail.

The point I'm making and speaking metaphorically is to never blame the gun, blame it's user. Any fandom can have a dark side, but it only boils down to the one's that make that side to any fandom exist.

If haters are going to hate on us over what we like then by their logic it's okay to dislike anyone for liking something one other does not. It's as bad as me hating that kid over there just because he's a fan of Call of Duty when I'm not.

• Brohoof 1

What is exactly wrong with the community to make you think it's alright for people to vehemently throw hate comments at bronies?

Edited by Windseeker
  • Brohoof 1

What is exactly wrong with the community to make you think it's right for people to vehemently throw hate comments at bronies?

Right, because everyone who doesn't like the fandom is obligated to give hate comments for the sake of giving hate comments, and don't have any valid reason to dislike the oh-so-great fandom. It's as simple as that, isn't it?

You seriously haven't seen the fans who are insecure and desperately defensive of their precious show?

Or the people who say the show staff are apparently in the wrong for taking any sort of risk, just because they ruined someone's headcanon?

Or the people who have become so invested in the show, to the point where they wouldn't know what to do with their life if the show was to stop?

Or the people use "Love and Tolerate" as another way of saying "You must blindly accept everything as good"?

Or the people who constantly bring up MLP, whether or not it's relevant?

What about the people who say "MLP is objectively better than everything. If you don't agree, kill yourself."?

If I wasn't already a fan yet, I probably wouldn't want to become one now.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 3