Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Accepting) Equestria: 1955

Mand'alor Dash

OOC

"Gooooooooooooooood morning, Manehattan! Hope you all had a happy new year last night. It's a cool 45 degrees outside right now, but it's expected to climb as high as 63 by noon. The news today, I tell ya, it's getting worse every day, you know that wonderful Apple Loosa senator, Foal McCanter? Apparently, he's found evidence of a Changeling conspiracy that goes all the way to Canterlot! I know, I didn't believe it myself, at first, but that's why I'm a radio host and not a politician. McCanter produced a list 37 ponies he claimed were actually Changelings in disguise trying to infiltrate the Equestrian government.

Now, the ponies on this list ranged from everything to government officials to movie stars to even a general in the Equestrian guard! A general, ladies and gentlemen, a general. If you can't trust them to be who they say they are, then who can you trust? Well, hats off to you, Senator McCanter. And the rest of you, you're listening to KHRS radio, the only radio station that supports Equestrian values and Equestrian freedom. Let's start 1955 off in style with a little ditty dedicated to the man himself. Those Changelings may come a knockin', but they'll never get in..."

The radio begins blasting the upbeat tune, filling Vibrant's Salon with a happy, optimistic atmosphere. A unicorn mare, levitating a mirror up to her face, proudly proclaims "I must say, Vibrant, you've really outdone yourself this time. I'll be the envy of the ball! Worth every penny, I say."

Just outside of the salon, an aging jenny tries to nearly force her husband through the doors.

"Harold, stop it, you're embarrassing me. Vibrant is the best hairdresser in town, you need to look nice for your birthday party tomorrow."

Harold, an indignant mule as old as the century itself, fires back at his wife, "If you would just let me use my barber up in Bucklyn, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't like Vibrant! I don't like his style, I don't like his politics, and I certainly don't like his... tastes."

The wife smiles and coddles her husband's face in her hooves, "Oh Harold, there's nothing wrong with that. He's not hurting anypony. And look on the bright side, this is a really good neighborhood. Did you see even one zebra on the drive in here?"

"I uh, guess you've got me there, Jenny," Harold relents, "This place does look remarkably safer than Bucklyn."

"That's the spirit, Harold," Jenny smiles, "Now just go talk with that stallion over there. Don't worry, the bill's all taken care of. The boys at work took care of it when I said it's your birthday present."

"Jenny," Harold sighed as he trotted across the salon, "I swear, your kindness will be the death of me."

Edited by Mand'alor Dash
  • Brohoof 1

@@Mand'alor Dash

"Be with you in a minute" Vibrant called in a cheery falsetto as the little bell above the shop door called for his attention. With a graceful flourish he pulled the cape from around the unicorn's neck and danced his way to the cash register to greet the new customers.

"You must be Harold" Vibrant said gleefully to the aging donkey "your reservation is already set up, go right ahead and take a seat in the closest chair, I'll be with you in just a moment." Suddenly the shop bell rang again and a grey-blue blur charged though the swinging door.  

"Sorry I'm a bit late Vibes, there was a line at the news stand today. Anyway I got your papers" said the petite mare.

"It's fine darling, would be so kind to set them up on the table for me, I've got a customer at the moment. Feel free to take a tip out of my jar when you're done" Vibrant said as he turned back to Harold. "So how did you want this done?"

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Harold, swallowing his prejudices for the moment, sighed and answered the question, "The theme of the party is movie stars. My wife wants you to do it up like Horsen Welles."

Glancing at the stack of papers the pegasus brought in, Harold noticed the headline: "General Eisensaddle a Changeling?"

"Heh, saw it coming," Harold bragged, "even during the war, that guy was always too friendly with the Bugs. Now we know why."

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

@@Mand'alor Dash

"Is that so?" Vibrant questioned as he began to gently massage shampoo into Harold's mane. "I was never a big follower of such... violent event's, I'm a pacifist you see. Let me know if I'm being too rough okay." 

"Is he your husband?" Zephyr whispered to the female donkey, holding back a chuckle at how the old stallion's grumpy attitude contrasted Vibrant's. "How in Equestria did you drag him in here?"

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

@@HunterTSN,

Jenny chuckled, "Oh, I promised him I'd get him a special cake for his birthday. You know, the mint chocolate one from the baker down the street? He loves that one."

The two ladies stood in silence for a few seconds, before Jenny continued, "Harold's a good guy, really. He's great with children, he donates to charity... Some people just... can't adapt to the times, is all. And after the war, and with all this Changeling business... It's too much for him. He's a sweet, sweet man when you get to know him, but today's world just overwhelms him. You'll understand when you find a nice Pegasus Stallion of your own."

@@Mand'alor Dash

"Uhh, yeah of course" Zephyr said, her face growing hot as a bright red blush creeped it's way onto her cheeks. "Oh my look at that clock, I've hung around too long already. That crazy zebra at grocery is gonna have my head if I'm late. See you around miss" she said before leaving the shop in a flash.

"Just a bit left and...Voilà! All done" Vibrant exclaimed as he held up a mirror for Harold. "Let's see what the wife has to say shall we?"

• Brohoof 1

Malachi and a few of his crew where taking a walk around the neighborhood. He had a few small businesses set up around there, so he like to walk around and get to know the ponies who live around there. His old man use to tell him that you should always  be friendly to the ponies you set your operations around. Mostly because they would be less likely to sell you out to the guards. 

But for some reason most of the ponies were avoiding them as best as they could. At first Malachi thought it was because he was carrying around a large steel metal bat. But soon he noticed  that most of the ponies they were passing where giving un-trusting , and even angry looks towards one of his crew. 

A normal sized Zebra, named Zubie, they like to call him Zubby. He had a very long mane that covered half of his face.  He was also wearing a green flat cap and a black vest. Malachi understood how most ponies think of zebras. They think they don't belong in Equestria  and that they should just go back to their own county and blah blah blah. Malachi didn't care that he was a zebra. Malachi stumbled upon him when he was bloody and bused after he got dome beating up about five or six ponies who didn't take to kindly to a Zebras in their neighborhood. 

Malachi like the fire in his eyes and took him into his crew cause he could see potential in him. 

Among himself and Zubby was an other member of Malachi's crew. A short,cute and  sweet looking  unicorn mare with a light blue coat and a dark blond mane  named, Sammy, who seemed like she belonged in her first year of high school. She was wearing slim glasses and she had about five studded earrings in he left ear. She may not look very tough, but she could take a fully grown stallion in  a fight wile just using her magic.

While they were walking Malachi placed a friendly arm around around the zebra's neck.  "Don't let these mooks get ya down Zubs, they just don't know any better." He said with a smile. Zubby moved some of his mane out of his face to look at Malachi. "If you say so boss, I just... get fed up with it, ya know?" Malachi pat his back. "I know, but still, when the world frowns at you, just smile back. That's what my ma always says." The zebra fave a small smile, happy that he had someone that was looking out for him. 

"And you really need to do something about ya mane, Zubs." Lucky for them they happen to be passing a hairdressers. @@HunterTSN, @@Mand'alor Dash,

Malachi smiled and tied his bat on his saddle bags, so not to seem threatening. Then him, Zubby and Sammy head into the shop. "Hello, hello. By any chance could you take care of my friend here." He said, putting his arm back around the Zebras neck, pointoing at him. "As you can see he's got quite the mop." He chuckled.

Edited by Gloomfury
  • Brohoof 1

@@HunterTSN, @@Gloomfury,

"Well, I'll be damned. This really does look like Welles." Harold marveled at the hairdresser's work. "Hey, maybe you and me got off on the wrong..."

Jenny trotted up to him and interrupted, "Harold, we should go," she said, clearly scared.

"In a minute, honey. I'm giving this young stallion my thanks."

"Harold!" Jenny nearly choked on her words, and subtly motioned towards the mobsters that had just entered the salon. Harold got the picture.

"Typical fucking rhymers," he intoned under his breath as he and his wife snuck away from the building.

An uncontrollable silence descended upon the room as the bell rang, indicating their departure. For some reason, not even the radio was on.

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Malachi's smile vanished when he heard what the old mule said under his breath. Zubby's head went down, making his mane hide the rest of his face. Malachi got off him and turned around towards the mule, Zubz and Sammy tried to stop him but he brushed them off. Malachi went out the down and  called to the old timer. "Hey! I think you owe my friend an apology."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Gloomfury,

Harold turned back and looked Malachi in the eye. "Or what?" he asked? "You'll kill a poor old jack to defend the honor of some honorless, two-bit rhymer?"

To try and change the subject, a salon employee turned the radio back on.

Harold continued, "Son, I have survived through two wars, and nothing's touched me yet. And let's face it, the cops are watching you right now. Right now, if I were to die of a heart attack, they'd blame you and your striped friend."

Jenny tried to intervene, "Harold's really deeply sorry! He didn't think about what he was saying. He really loves zebras!"

Harold cut her off, "So if you want to take that chance, go ahead. Do your worst."

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

@@Gloomfury

@@Mand'alor Dash

'And it was looking to be such a wonderful day' Vibrant thought distastefully as he followed the intimidating pony outside. "Gentlecolts please. Mister Harold you and your wife have a birthday to prepare, and sir I would be happy to do your friends mane if you'd wish of me. I'll even offer a discount for letting the happy donkey family go home in peace."

Zephyr was across the street when she heard the commotion at Vibrant's store front. As quickly and inconspicuously as possible she ducked into a nearby pay phone and dialed the emergency dispatch.

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@HunterTSN, @@Gloomfury,

Officer Bronzebadge, senior detective for the MHPD, stepped in to look at what all the commotion was about. Looking between the donkey, the mobsters, and the hairdresser, all he could tell was that the situation was bound to explode if something wasn't done quickly.

"Alright," Bronzebadge ordered, "You've all had your fun. And I don't give a damn who started this or why, but you all have 10 seconds to walk away from this before I call for backup. Am I clear?"

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

@@Mand'alor Dash,@@HunterTSN,

Now, Malachi rarely every gets angry. But when he dose... lets say that dragon would look like a kitten compared to him when he's angry.  Malachi oped his left eye, then he got right into the mules face, red and blue eyes blazing with a lot of fury. Not paying attention to the hairdresser. "Do you really think I would taint my bat with your blood? You're not even worth spitting at you burlap sack of equine garbage. That Zebra has more honer then you will ever have." At this point Malachi teeth were bared like a rapid dog.

When a guard showed up he didn't even glance at him. All he did was stared at the mule with nothing but pure hate and anger.

• Brohoof 1

@@Gloomfury,

Harold, unphased, simply nodded towards the officer, "My thanks, detective. Someone's got to keep these scum in line." Not saying another word to the mobster, he motioned back to his wife and said, "Come on, dear. We don't want to be late." He walked away, and got in his car.

Bronzebadge addressed the gangsters directly, "You know I'd expect this behavior from a lyric, but I'd think an Equestrian might show a bit more judgement. Let's not let this happen again, okay?"

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Malachi got even more angry when the mule treated him like he was a waste of space. But when the guard said the slur, he had it. He walked towards the guards and grabbed his mouth with his hoof, with a grip strong enough to crush a coconut, and it only got stronger. "Now's not the time to test me, officer." But then Zubs and Sammy tackled him, pulling him away from the guard. While Zubs hold him back, Sammy ran over to the guard. " Please sir, we're sorry. Our boss is just very protective of his friends." She said with teary eyes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Gloomfury,

Indignant, Bronzebadge proclaimed, "Assaulting a police officer is no small crime. Tell your boss he's lucky that I owe his dad a favor. Now, we're square. I won't look away the next time." Bronzebadge walked back to his patrol car, and drove away from the salon, leaving the scene behind him.

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

@@Gloomfury

Vibrant waited for the officer's car to disappear before turning on the pugnacious stallion.

"I'm sorry sir but I'm going to have to ask you to wait outside of my salon while I tend to your friends mane. Try not to assault any police while you're out here" Vibrant said before spinning to face the zebra, ignoring any retorts the stallion may have made. "Well then big guy, it's been a long time since I've worked on a Zebra's mane, take a seat inside and I'll get you fixed up in just a second."

• Brohoof 1

As Vibrant toiled on Zubby's mane, the world continued on schedule, and the radio was turned up to full blast.

"That was Bunny Hop, with 'That'll be the Day.' And I tell you, folks, that'll certainly be the day when Equestria won't have to worry about enemies, foreign or domestic, trying to sabotage our way of life. Sadly, though, that day is not today. So keep those dials tuned to KHRS for all the best music and the latest news as it breaks. 'We will win the war on Changelings', says a certain Canterlot military adviser. But how can he be so sure? We here at KHRS will be sure to let you know, after these messages."

@@HunterTSN,

Malachi was hunched over, taking a few breaths to calm himself down. He took off his hat and smooth back his mane a few times to help. Zubs was off him wand waked over to the hairdresser. "Look bud, could you please cut my boss some slack? You see he thinks of everyone in his crew like family. And the only times he gets angry is when someone insults or disrespects us or anyone in his real family. So could you just, give him a place to sit inside. Please?" Zubs look into the stallions eyes with great pleading, Which was something you would never see from a mobster.

@@Gloomfury,

"I understand your boss is just trying to stand up for you, darling, but I cannot condone his style of doing so. My shop has always been a sanctity of peace and I simply will not allow such violence and aggression to take place within these walls" Vibrant said as he began to sort through his collection of waxes and gels. "Please excuse me if I misjudged you, but I'm assuming you're going for the dark and mysterious look while staying modest and convenient, plus it should be something you can wear a hat over. Thoughts?"

@@HunterTSN,

Malachi stayed outside. He was sitting on the curb with Sammy next to him. Helping him calm down. Zubs sighed. "I understand, your shop your rules. But please, don't hold this episode against him. He hardly ever gets angry, even if someone spits in his eye. And I maybe in the mob and can hold my own against more then three stallions. But I'm not really the dark and mysterious type. Like  you said I want something that'll look good with a hat and also without. Shoulder length or a little shorter, but strong and yet soft looking. Something that says I'm not looking for a fight but I can also kick some ass if I need to." He looked up to the stallion as he sat down in a barbers chair, taking off his flat cap. "I mean, I like your mane style, but in my line of work I'll still need a tough looking image. Don't want to give our crew a bad rep. I'm tired of being called a 'cult-cuddler' for having long hair. I'm already dealing with enough names already. I hate that word... "He spit out the word 'cult-cuddler' like it left a bad taste in his mouth as his head goes downcast.

@@Gloomfury,

A patron a few chairs down, a unicorn mare with her mane in curlers, couldn't help but overhear the conversation. She started to chuckle a little bit, but stopped and decided to ask the question for herself.

"Pardon me, sir, but did you say you're in the mob?"

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Zubby looked over to the mare, moving his mane behind an ear foe he could look at her. "Yes, ma'am. We don't really hide it because pretty much anyone can tell that we are. Me and my friends outside are with the Semi family." He said to the mare in a polite tone of voice. "Why do you ask?"

@@Gloomfury,

"Semi family?" She said, "Oh, then you probably didn't know him. My mistake." She turned back to reading her paper.

The salon went quiet for a brief period. The radio could be heard loud and clear.

"...continuing coverage of the murder of Biggie Ferrini, local businessman and high-ranking member of the Ferrini crime family. Ferrini, 23, was found floating face-down in the bay, with two bullet wounds in the back of his head. The Ferrini family has asked that they be allowed to mourn in peace..."

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Zubs ear flicked when he heard about the Ferrini family member over the radio. He hummed and sat back his his chair. "A lot of fighting is going on between some of the other families. Some are even targeting ours. I don't really know the reason, but it most likely has to do with the large amount of real estate opening up in the city. And everyone is looking to buy a large slice of the city."