Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think action movies in Equestria would be like.

AlbaTross

So I was reading the Japan exclusive manga, and so far have only read through the character intros and their corresponding comic strips when one particular line in Fluttershy's strip stood out to me. I am probably the least confident in my translation of that strip as it used some vernacular not found in any dictionaries and I had to rely on some translation software for parts of it, which I'm weary about, but Fluttershy's closing line came back as "Rainbowdash, don't act like in those fighting movies". I could share my translation for the whole strip if you're really curious, but that sentence got me thinking that if there were action movies in Equestria they would be a little more interesting.

One main objection, in addition to this manga being regional tripe that probably shouldn't be considered canon, is that I don't recall Equestria being advanced enough to have movies, but since I've seen some neat technology randomly appear in episodes, I'll let that one slide and this topic is really just for fun anyways. I think fighting movies and action movies with guns could make for an interesting topic of discussion. So, what are your thoughts? Which species do you think would make the best action stars, other than Alicorns? I bet Unicorns wouldn't need guns, and Pegasi can fly while Earth Ponies have super strength. I now turn this completely random discussion over to you.

• Brohoof 1

I would depict action movies would be similar to ours, with some notable differences, with vulgar language being either minimal (and in their vocabulary) or rather not exsistant at all. And a complete absence of sexual and/or sensual scenes.

In my opinion, Equestrian society seems for the most part rather pacifist and violence is a rarity. The idea of action movies or any depicting violence might be a rather unique (or shocking) experience.

Yep, we've already had the Twilight v.s. Tirek battle, which is obviously known for its Dragon Ball Z fighting.

I think that unicorns would make the best action stars. With their high intelligence and magical powers, I could see more ponies getting a kick out of a unicorn trying to fend some monster off with magic.

• Brohoof 1

Equestria practically copies everything from our world, so I would imagine their film industry would be the same as ours. The only difference however, is what time period it takes into account from our world and applies it to theirs.

Edited by IJoinedForPonies

Except for Pinkies party cannon, I haven't seen any guns anywhere.  Even the palace guards have some kind of pole arm (don't know enough to say what kind).  Also, body armor argues against fire arms (unless it's part of their dress uniform).  So that cuts out whole genres.

I'd guess a lot of "Karate Kid" type movies.  Mentor/student & standing up to bullies, etc.

They've got Daring Do so I'd guess some Indiana Jones. 

The Buffalo looked a lot like Indians in the old style Westerns, so I'd guess Westerns with some differences.  Cows are intelligent, so cattle drives will be different, the cowponies being more guards than herders, for instance.  Maybe more "range war", settler vs natives w weapons more equal.

They've got Zebras, so if you've ever seen any of the old Tarzan movies, that kind of thing.  IMO, they stopped making those IRL because Africa is just too civilized & well explored for them to be believable.  In EQ, far off regions are likely unfamiliar enough they are still around.

They had Power Ponies & Mare-Do-Well, so some Super Hero.

They've got Ninjas & Changelings, so... Bond, James Bond.

Lyra & her humans.  They've doubtless got some Horror flicks w critters from other dimensions & maybe some from outer space.  Humans & other weird critters.  In Flutterbat, AJ mentioned vampires, for example.  Frankenstein probably doesn't even qualify as Sci Fi, just fiction.

As to Who gets what roles?  Unicorn wizards probably get a LOT of the "Evil Master Mind" role, being opposed by gallant Earth Ponies who defeat them w no magic (but pure hearts) & some Pegasus companions.  Hey, demographics.  Hollywood ain't The History Channel, they're in business to make money by pandering to the public, so biggest population segment gets the most good guys. 

So I was reading the Japan exclusive manga, and so far have only read through the character intros and their corresponding comic strips when one particular line in Fluttershy's strip stood out to me. I am probably the least confident in my translation of that strip as it used some vernacular not found in any dictionaries and I had to rely on some translation software for parts of it, which I'm weary about, but Fluttershy's closing line came back as "Rainbowdash, don't act like in those fighting movies". I could share my translation for the whole strip if you're really curious, but that sentence got me thinking that if there were action movies in Equestria they would be a little more interesting.

One main objection, in addition to this manga being regional tripe that probably shouldn't be considered canon, is that I don't recall Equestria being advanced enough to have movies, but since I've seen some neat technology randomly appear in episodes, I'll let that one slide and this topic is really just for fun anyways. I think fighting movies and action movies with guns could make for an interesting topic of discussion. So, what are your thoughts? Which species do you think would make the best action stars, other than Alicorns? I bet Unicorns wouldn't need guns, and Pegasi can fly while Earth Ponies have super strength. I now turn this completely random discussion over to you.

The comics also made a reference to action movies. Nightmare Rarity mentioned some "Sylvester Stallion". I don't think I need to mention whose pony parody is  :P

The episode "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" spoofs both ninja movies and "James Bond" style spy movies, so I'd assume they'd have some kind of counterpart in Equestria. In several episodes, including "A Bad Seed", movies and movie theaters are shown, so the technology is definitely there.

The comics also made a reference to action movies. Nightmare Rarity mentioned some "Sylvester Stallion". I don't think I need to mention whose pony parody is :P

True. That wasn't the most objectionable thing in that strip, mind you. According to my translation, which can be challenged given how poor my Japanese is, Rainbowdash threatened to finger that waiter, which makes zero sense since ponies don't have any fingers. Edited by Tross

Boring. 

No, but honestly I'm quite a fan of violence and profanity in action movies and I feel some of their weight would be lost if they all got neutered. However, If ponies aren't exposed to violence on a regular basis like we are in our media they would probably see the movies we think are tame and find them horrifying.  

I suppose it's all about what you're used to.

oh I got the perfect guy for that hey  give us a perfect movie narration about an action movie in Equestria

"In a world where pony of all kind live, there will be conflict, you'll laugh at the lovable cast of characters, like Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity and many more as they fight with the power of friendship to take down bad guys such as  Too many colors, the Moon, themselves, and many more, all while, well using friendship? Well you'l figure it out." My little Pony The Movie!

Edited by Castle
  • Brohoof 1

Unicorns in a zombie movie!

No really, if there we're action movies they would be very interesting, considering they have magic and such...Just imagine!

I would think they would be much more creative then our action movies.