Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games you consider "classics" in their series

CosmicHooves

Hard question.

I guess Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64. Both give me some pretty nostalgic thoughts. The great memories of young childhood where you could play games and not give a shit about the world because you're just a kid. From an actual structural point of view, the games were fun as a kid. Nowadays I wouldn't have the patience to 100% complete them by collecting all the necessary requirements, but as a kid they were so fun.

• Brohoof 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ahh... memories of driving over innocent civilians with a tour bus in San Fierro while the cops are on my ass as I'm blasting "White Wedding" by Billy Idol on the K-DST station.

Good times... good times...

I Agree on this,Liked Cops chasing me with Grove Street Members helping me out,Especially Listening to Toto-Hold the line or Tom petty and the Heartbreakers-Running down a dream.San Andreas was indeed one of the 'classics' in the gta series.

• Brohoof 1

Majora's Mask: Overshadowed by the more popular OOT, players who seek a more immerse experience will truly appreciate such a masterpiece.  It is the Zelda I felt most immersed into

Paper Mario is kinda hard, as the first one had a more colorful and bigger world, but it's sequel had better characters and plot 

Classic Mario: Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World

Mario in 3D: Mario 64 as introduces the concept of Mario Platforming 

Classic Metroid: Zero Mission, as it improved greatly the original Metroid

Metroid 3D: Metroid Prime, as it felt like as classic and immerse as Zero Mission and Super Metroid

Metroidvania: While I think Symphony of the Night has shown age if you played newer Metroidvanias, it's still evident why it's considered one of the best CVs evah

Castlevania: I see the first Pony of Sha... I mean, Lords of Shadow in the way of becoming a cult classic in later years. I'll compare it to Majora, overshadowed by a more popular entry, but appreciated by the few who seek a more immerse experience that the classics can't provide

Metal Gear: Peace Walker is the most addictive MG you'll ever play in your life. It will be the same as Majora's and Lords of Shadow above, overshadowed by many, but loved by the few

Edited by Zekromic

I have quite a few series classics I remember fondly..

Pokemon Gold/Silver: Just a fantastic sequel to what was already an awesome game, many new features, improved sprites, an awesome story and the ability to revisit the region from the first games. They've never quite done the same since.

Halo 2: Once again, a really great improvement on the first, also the game that first got me into online console gaming.

GTA San Andreas: This is probably one of the best games I've played in terms of sheer scale, San Andreas was such a huge world with tons to do, and the "urban legends" people would always post online just made it all seem more deeper then it was.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Best story in the series, loved the characters, setting and the overall feel of the game. Definitely a step up from 2.

There's lots of others, but for brevity's sake those are the first 4 in my head right now. :P

Oh some games that make me feel nostalgic
Empire Earth the original: played hours on this fcking game

That game needs the HD treatment on steam like AoE 2!

• Brohoof 3

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage - As much as I love Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2 was a BIG improvement and expansion of the ideas of the original, and it felt a bit more fresh than Spyro: Year of the Dragon. The home worlds and the portal worlds were a LOT bigger, more detailed, and livelier; the textures and polygon counts gave things much more depth; Spyro's voice actor change was an improvement; the addition of FEMALE characters was welcome; Spyro can swim; there isn't an over-abundance of mini-games, and Avalar just felt so BIG. A true classic in the series AMONG classics.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - I'll admit that the gameplay was improved in both Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, but what SoT had going for me was the over was the atmosphere and how magical it all felt. The Prince was charming, Farah was spunky, the world had a very nice combo of dark & color, the acrobatics felt so new and fresh, and it had the most Persian-sounding OST of the series, IMO. What a wonderful game with only the 2008 reboot coming close.

Sly 2: Band of Thieves - This one has already been mentioned, but this is about as good as stealth-platforming gets. It was a true improvement of the original in everywhere with bigger levels and improved gameplay mechanics with addition of Bentley & Murray. You just never felt bored playing it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - For me, this was the zenith of the Sonic series and only a very few number of games have come close. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 locked into Sonic & Knuckles really does provide that full Sonic experience that I would hope everyone gets a chance play.

Super Mario World & Super Mario Galaxy - When thinking back to my favorite Mario game, it usually falls to these two. World is one of the best 2D platformers I have ever played, and Galaxy really felt like a refreshing take on the Mario experience. They are both wonderful games that will be hard to top.

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit & Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 - When it comes to arcadey racing games, these two easily stand out for me with their creative course designs and, especially in the case of the second, the sheer amount of cars at your disposal. The Nazca C2 and the Dodge Viper were my particular favs from the respective games. The action was fast and furious regardless of whether you were chased by the police or not.

Forza Motorsport 3 - As far as racing sims go, this is so far the zenith for me. A great collection of cars along with some iconic tracks from throught the world, this game was just FUN. The difficulty settings helped with that somewhat, but I really appreciate a game that takes into account fun and difficulty.

Star Wars: TIE Fighter - So, what do you get when you have a Star Wars game with you being on the side of the Empire? You have a fun, engaging, and chanllenging experience! With a well written story and some nice appearances from the likes of Vader & Thrawn, this game stole SO MANY hours from me. It was hard as hell and I confess...I kinda cheated with it...but...so much fun. <3

Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome - Even though the sequels were marked improvements, nothing really compares with playing as ROME in the ancient world. It was hard, but it was a fun challenge and I consider it a definite classic.

• Brohoof 1

Yoshi's Story

It is easily the highlight of Yoshi's video game career(despite not actually having Yoshi himself in it - depending on how you see things). Every other game has had him paired with Mario and other Nintendo characters. But this was the first game all about him and the adventures of his kind.

It also helps that it was is an amazing game.

• Brohoof 1

the World of Warcraft series was something I stuck with for quite sometime now it may all be one game but that one game has been constantly updating since 2004 I made my character about 8 years ago during the Burning Crusade. now I don't play it too often for two reasons (my server is very empty, and its my dads account so I rarely get to go on)

also what you said about San Andreas I agree I bought the Xbox 360 version a month ago it felt great playing it with better controls

and a few other games I might as well list

Mario Party series no matter how old they get they will always be the best Mario games I have ever played with friends

Legends of Zelda Series first time I saw any thing Legends of Zelda was on Smash bros Melee and I had no idea what it was about then I played Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask...... now its one of my favorite series in Nintendo (I also like WIndwaker)

and Luigi's Mansion if I could play that game again I would I loved it as a kid and is one of my favorites to this day I even made a complete replica of the Mansion in Minecraft took me 6 months

and Star Wars Battlefront that game will always be my favorite shooter to those who have never played it, its basically Battlefield but Star Wars and I hear that Star Wars Battlefront 3 is coming for next gen and will be made by the same people who made the Battlefield series which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad because Battlefield is fun but I like how Pandermic makes their games

also a game based on the comics Spy vs Spy loved that game as a kid not going to spend too much time talking about it only that they need to make a new one

that's really all I can think of I know their are a lot more games to talk about because I had a lot of games as a kid..... more then I do now

I'm not the biggest gaming buff around but I got some I consider classics:

Silent Hill 2

Resident Evil for Gamecube AKA REmake

Zelda II

Super C

Starcraft: Brood War

Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

Civilization II

Stronghold Crusader

Red Alert II: Yuri's Revenge

Saint's Row II

Pokemon Stadium

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi II

Mortal Kombat: Deception

Def Jam: Fight for NY

• Brohoof 2

Uncharted 2, my all time favorite game, atmosphere, soundtrack, story, visuals, this game is timeless for me.

Spyro franchise, lovely game with a soundtrack composed by my idol Stewart Copeland

Doom

Unreal Tournament

Alien v Predator 2

System Shock 2

Your list reminded me of these which should've been on my list. Though I would've switched out Unreal Tournament for 2004, that was by far the best one to me. Also I should've included MGS2. That is by far the best Metal Gear Solid, and I don't understand all the hate for it and never have. The story is the most brilliantly crafted I've seen. Heck, Captain America: Winter Soldier pretty much stole the story from that game.

Your list reminded me of these which should've been on my list. Though I would've switched out Unreal Tournament for 2004, that was by far the best one to me. Also I should've included MGS2. That is by far the best Metal Gear Solid, and I don't understand all the hate for it and never have. The story is the most brilliantly crafted I've seen. Heck, Captain America: Winter Soldier pretty much stole the story from that game.

I played singleplayer of UT99 the singleplayer works much better in that game.

MGS2 people hated because they thought they where gonna play as badass Snake then they play as some beta called Raiden, that and it's totally bombastic whereas MGS1 was more about being totally cool and tough. I've just installed Windows 8.1 on my upgraded Imac so I'm gonna redownload crysis now run it on max.

This list will probably be similar to that other gaming thread:

Master of Magic - The best 4X fantasy grand strategy of all time.  Many other games have claimed to be Master of Magic (Age of Wonders, War of Magic, Fallen Enchantress, etc.) and all have failed.  The sheer variety and open ended nature of this game have never been replicated.

Master of Orion 2 - The best 4X space strategy game of all time.  The various elements of this game are just so much more inventive, original and fun than the likes of Galactic Civilizations or Sword of the Stars.

Civilization 5 - The best "normal" grand strategy game out there.  Although to be fair, arguable all Civilization titles and Alpha Centauri are classics in their own right.

Baldur's Gate 2 - Best RPG of all time.  Huge, rich world with open ended gameplay, huge variety of character options and excellent tactical combat.

Ultima Series - Best RPG series of all time, at least up until the point where EA killed it (Ultima 8 and 9).  These were always open ended games with immersive stories, detailed control over the main characters stats and equipment, tactical combat and what is probably the best dialogue system I have seen in any game genre.

Final Fantasy 6 - Best JRPG of all time.  This game broke all the irritating constraints JRPG's are normally subjected to.  It had a huge, freely explorable overworld, a considerable degree of player directed character development, and surprisingly nuanced combat, all without sacrificing the characteristically strong Final Fantasy style story.  Oh, and the villain actually succeeds in destroying the world.  

Super Mario 3 - Still the best Mario game of all time after two and a half decades.  I never quite saw the same variety of settings and power ups in any of the sequels.

Deus Ex - Best single player FPS of all time.  RPG like character elements including skills and transhumanist augmentation that translated directly to an open ended FPS engine game that incorporated stealth, hacking and smart shooter elements.  Honorable mentioned to Human Revolution which is still a worthy sequel that fell just short of the mark.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown - Actually surpasses the original.  Amazing tactical combat with a huge range of options including the use of drones and jetpack equipped troops with strong character customization and a very interesting strategic game.

Edited by Twilight Dirac

Classic Games:

FFX

FF 8

Persona 3

Persona 4

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Star Fox

Smash Brothers 64

Parasite Eve

Duck Hunt

Pac Man

Pokemon Snap

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Paper Mario

Pokemon Crystal

Pokemon Silver

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Classics eh?

NFS: Most Wanted (not the recent one, it's trash)

Persona 3 and 4

Patapon 3

Phoenix Wright Trilogy

Professor Layton Series on DS

Pokemon RSE below

Metal Slug

Final Fantasy 9,10,12 (Didn't mention 8 and below because I didn't play it)

DotA 1

Brigandine

Elite Beat Agents and Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2

Star Wars Racing

Hot Wheels

Lego Racer

Crash Team Racing

Sonic Riders (1 and Zero Gravity)

RC Revenge

Okay imma stop there now, because I think I just mentioned every game I've played before I played XBOX 360

Edited by Kneesocks

I played singleplayer of UT99 the singleplayer works much better in that game.

MGS2 people hated because they thought they where gonna play as badass Snake then they play as some beta called Raiden, that and it's totally bombastic whereas MGS1 was more about being totally cool and tough. I've just installed Windows 8.1 on my upgraded Imac so I'm gonna redownload crysis now run it on max.

Most people don't seem to realize that Raiden was a representation of the player wanting to be Snake but instead questioning his very existence. Remember that Raiden was lied to and trained only through simulations... just like the player is only trained through simulated gameplay. At the end of the game, you find out Raiden's real name: the name you entered at the start of the game, which is supposed to be your real name. People are so obsessed with being a "badass" that they can't appreciate the storyline and the intricacies of the characters in the story and instead constantly whine about "Snake is so badass why we gotta be Raiden?".

Too bad Revengence totally destroyed Raiden's character and made him a badass, he was better as the lost soldier who tried his best that he was. None of this is necessarily directed toward you, it's just how I feel about the attitude toward MGS2 in general. It's by far the best to me and not everyone has to agree with that.

Most people don't seem to realize that Raiden was a representation of the player wanting to be Snake but instead questioning his very existence. Remember that Raiden was lied to and trained only through simulations... just like the player is only trained through simulated gameplay. At the end of the game, you find out Raiden's real name: the name you entered at the start of the game, which is supposed to be your real name. People are so obsessed with being a "badass" that they can't appreciate the storyline and the intricacies of the characters in the story and instead constantly whine about "Snake is so badass why we gotta be Raiden?".

Well Raiden was a pansy and a whiner whereas Snake was awesome and had a good voice actor. So yeah people got hung up on it, that and Kojima was being a hipster dousche by hyping the game for being able to play as Snake and then deliberately taking that away. Who does that? Also the plot of MGS2 is generally not well considered by fans of the series, a bunch of philosophical crap that breaks the fourth wall. We wanted a game not a show off of ego Kojima.