Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's with the Star Swirl the Bearded motive?

Bird Mom

Every time there is a plot-hole in these tales of villans being defeated/banished, Star Swirl seems to always fill it up. It's almost as if it is an excuse for SSB to be there or he is just some sort of place-holder. 

The writers of MLP:FiM seem to use him as excuses, is my point. Examples are when he banished the sirens from Equestria in Rainbow Rocks and when Celestia was telling the story of Tirek and how he became friends with Scorpan.

So, is this just me, or do you also think that Star Swirl is sometimes just an excuse?

EDIT:

OOPSIE. I used motive and it was the completely wrong word. I brain farted. 

*Excuse

Edited by QueenRarity

Hello @. :)

Considering your topic deals with a character that has been mentioned in the show and is a part of Equestrian lore, I have moved this thread from Sugarcube Corner to Show Discussion as it will be best suited for discussion in that area.

Thank you, and have a good day. :)

• Brohoof 1

I can see it being an example of lazy writing. Or perhaps they just don't want to actually plan out a whole timeline, which I can't exactly blame them for.

I think they'll eventually stop using him though.

• Brohoof 1

Star Swirl was the most important role in Pre-Equestrian Era, that was when Celestia and Luna had little power against villans, somepony had to step up.

So I think Star Swirl was just an awesome history figure that every country had one. Like Trajan in ancient Rome, Caocao in ancient China, etc..

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 1

I don't get the hate for using Starswirl the Bearded. He's basically the majordomo for Celestia and Luna back then. I don't particularly see why it's an excuse that he banished the dazzlings, but it was odd that he banished them a 1000 years ago and they still look like teenage girls. Although I'd like it if they actually made an Equestrian timeline, because it seems like a lot happened back then thats just been skimmed over.

I think it basically comes down to Star Swirl being the ancient equivalent of the Mane Six.

When you think about it, isn't it kind of unlikely that a group of six ponies with mixed backgrounds and no military experience are the ones that save Equestria from, like, everything?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every generation since Star Swirl had a hero or group of heroes that saved Equestria multiple times.

• Brohoof 2

Motive means reason.  Maybe you mean motif (a theme or pattern)?

IMO, Star Swirl didn't act alone but had friends & companions who helped him.  He gets the credit like the QB on a football team gets the credit.  What I have a problem with is the EQ universe using Earth as the magical equivalent of a toxic waste dump.

Edited by sweetolebob18

It might be laziness, probably. As with Twilight's superpowers. Lazy writing?

The plot doesn't hold itself for it's own merit, so it might seem like throwing some awesome name in there, could actually change things up. Bring up some relevance.

Well, it didn't do much, from my perspective.

I do hope they focus more on starswirl the bearded this time. So we get know more about Celestia and Luna.

Getting a little bit tiresome already. First Sombra, and now Tirek...

C'mon!

I think the idea is that he is an influential legend who did a lot in his life.  He is THE magician.  He's the Dumbledore, Merlin, Gandalf.  Maybe if and when we ever see him, alive or in flashback we'll get some idea who he is/was.  We know he was friends with Scorpan.   I have a hunch next Tirek episode will have Scorpan and Starswirl as a major plot point.

I have the suspicion that he'll show up soon, as the Journal of the Two Sisters stated, he can travel trough time, and is implied that he might still be alive, and he knew who Twilight Sparkle is

What I have a problem with is the EQ universe using Earth as the magical equivalent of a toxic waste dump.

That gave us Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk. So I say, please send more!

Personally I feel he's been mentioned too oft to make him a writing cop-out; when you're a writer, you don't mention one character so often unless he definitely has a role in future chapters/installments. He'll either make an appearance, or the writers will fall flat on their faces and just drop him like he never existed. This kind of lead-in is perfectly indicative of a future appearance.

Source: two+ years of personal writing experience.

star_swirl_the_bearded_2_by_emkay_mlp-d5Whats this?! A plot hole?! Come Dr. we must restore the continuity! To the Tardis!!

doctor_whooves_and_the_tardis_by_theevil

Starswirl is basically the Merlin/Wizard of old guy of Mlp: They are commonly busy bodies who stick their nose into big affairs that end up becoming recorded later on and referenced in the stories. Yeah he is sometimes used as a patch job for some plot holes but characters like him are not unprecedented and it doesn't take away from how interesting he could end up being if they delve into his story a bit more.