Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Very Minty Christmas on December 13

Zekromic

As this topic deals with a movie from a previous generation of MLP and thus has nothing to do with FiM itself, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

Keep in mind that any topic or discussion dealing with anything from the previous generation belongs in Sugarcube Corner. :)

Thank you, and have a good day. :)

• Brohoof 1

Back in the early 1990s Pony Tales & My Little Ponies & Friends were on free TV when I got off work in the morning, so I watched them.  After watching the current G4 ponies, I got curious & looked up the G3 ponies.  I watched about 5 minutes of A Very Minty Christmas.  Couldn't stick it at any price (& I watch a LOT of kid shows).

IMO, if you are too old to watch Barney, you are too old for this show.

Oh I watched this a few months ago. It's actually rather good.  A bit of originality here & there in terms of most Christmas themed shows. The songs are pretty good too, and in terms of Christmas music, that's saying something. Plus it stars arguibly G3's most stand out character.

But I'm not gonna be watching. Already have it on DVD. Plus the 'formerly-known-as-Hub' network is probably gonna be cutting out a good chunk of it for commercials. 

Although Twinkle Wish Adventure will be on. Might record that if it isn't on Netflix. 

Oh I watched this a few months ago. It's actually rather good.  A bit of originality here & there in terms of most Christmas themed shows. The songs are pretty good too, and in terms of Christmas music, that's saying something. Plus it stars arguibly G3's most stand out character.

But I'm not gonna be watching. Already have it on DVD. Plus the 'formerly-known-as-Hub' network is probably gonna be cutting out a good chunk of it for commercials. 

Although Twinkle Wish Adventure will be on. Might record that if it isn't on Netflix. 

Too bad that I can't watch it, I'm curious about it, besides, Minty. I kinda liked her after I read a fic where she's Rarity's second child, and she hates her eldest biological daughter because she decided to stay with her adoptive human family

Edit: now hearing her voice samples in Behind the Voice Actors, now I can see why he made her Rarity's daughter in his fic, of all characters Tabitha voiced, she sounds like Rarity the most  :lol:

Edited by Zekromic

Poor parents, having to sit through such awfulness, expect the rates for kids being put up for adoption going through the roof :P .

18681__safe_fluttershy_animated_eye-roll

Funny that such 'awfulness', when it was the current generation, carried on for many years, and was successful enough to bring about the generation that brought you to the series.

• Brohoof 5

Poor parents, having to sit through such awfulness, expect the rates for kids being put up for adoption going through the roof :P .

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of G3, but sometimes it gets a little too much disrespect. It's all subjective, and some fans are quite excited about this. Heck, I'm curious enough myself. :)

• Brohoof 3

Yeah....

FIM needs a Christmas special. Then they'll actually have something worth airing.

Funny that such 'awfulness', when it was the current generation, carried on for many years, and was successful enough to bring about the generation that brought you to the series.

Really? From what I've heard, it's lack of success was the reason why it was rebooted in the first place.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

img-3329451-1-18681__safe_fluttershy_ani

I don't really care if the old MLP led to the new one, the new show was made by completely different people, that's like saying I should like Batman & Robin because it led to the creation of Batman begins. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really care if the old MLP led to the new one, the new show was made by completely different people, that's like saying I should like Batman & Robin because it led to the creation of Batman begins.

It's not that you have to like MLP G3, it's that you're going really overboard with your hatred of it. I mean in another topic you suggested that them making a show where the mane six kill the G3 characters would be a good idea.

There's no reason any of that is necessary. >.>

Yeah....

FIM needs a Christmas special. Then they'll actually have something worth airing.

Really? From what I've heard, it's lack of success was the reason why it was rebooted in the first place.

This is plenty worth airing! Although I'd love to see a real FiM Christmas special, too.

My point wasn't necessarily that G3 was a massive success, it was that it sustained for many years and didn't cause the series to come crashing down, which chirox's exaggerated narrative would suggest.

It's not that you have to like MLP G3, it's that you're going really overboard with your hatred of it. I mean in another topic you suggested that them making a show where the mane six kill the G3 characters would be a good idea.

Yeah I also suggested they kill snips and snails (and I still wish they would), there's a lot of animated characters I want to die. 

My point wasn't necessarily that G3 was a massive success, it was that it sustained for many years and didn't cause the series to come crashing down, which chirox's exaggerated narrative would suggest.

Doesn't G3's latest release Newborn Cuties scream "budget cut"?

img-3329971-1-153203g35kawaii.png

Let me get this out of the way first: I don't praise Lauren Faust as if she were our lord and saviour. I understand that not all the credit of G4 would go to her, since she only pitched the show, and ran it temporarily.

But because of her ideology, she's probably one of few people who would've made an effort to make MLP any good. Most other people would've just made the equivalent of dangling a shiny object in front of children, while putting more passion into paying their mortgage. It would've been G3 all over again, thus defeating the purpose of rebooting MLP. But that probably begs the question "How is that like G3?"

This is plenty worth airing!

Very well then. Convince me that G3 is more than what I made it out to be. Prove to me that the characters are three dimensional, and have more depth to them than just liking socks and being "comedically unintelligent". Tell me what makes them tick. Explain to me what makes lines such as "Yes yes yes! My friend Minty sees the world through green-coloured glasses." memorable. Clearly whatever wit it had flew over my simple-minded head. Explain to me why conflicts such as "no more rainbows forever" have high stakes, and make characters grow and develop in the end. Explain why morals such as "everyone is special" or "everyone is a princess" are is on par with lessons of self-sacrifice, integrity, etc. Convince me that there was passion put into G3.

Edit: That wasn't rhetorical.

And before someone says it's unfair to hold G3 up to the standard of G4, (ignoring the fact that they're both MLP,) remember that the target audience is no excuse to forgive poor quality, especially since the target audience of both shows are the same. I'm not bashing G3 for simply being different. I'm criticizing it for (from what I can gather) having little to no apparent redeeming qualities, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

This is plenty worth airing! Although I'd love to see a real FiM Christmas special, too.

I think Hearts and Hooves Day, while not a Xmas special (since it wasn't premiered at Xmas as far as I know), it's the closes we have of it at the moment

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of G3, but sometimes it gets a little too much disrespect. It's all subjective, and some fans are quite excited about this. Heck, I'm curious enough myself. :)

Yeah, I think most of us are too disrespectful to it, because most of the opinions are about comparing it to FiM, and obviously FiM always kick it's butte in every aspect. And most bronies don't like it? well, I don't see the G3 staff aiming for it to be more than a merchandise driven show so Hasbro cold sell their toys... for little girls. 

• Brohoof 2

It's G3, and same here. Haven't seen a full episode of G3 either.

I always get confused with previous generations :P

Wasn't A Very Minty Christmas one of Mr. Enter's Animated Atrocities? ....This should be interesting.

I think so. This makes me even more interested in watching the movie.

I think I watched this once with some comedic brony commentary over it. The commentary made it enjoyable at least  :lol:

Really though, if you want to appreciate the roots of MLP or just like G3 that's cool. I don't like it, but I don't go around dissing people just because they have different tastes.  

I will say this though

img-3328674-2-minty___vector__request__b

Minty makes a cute-as-heck G4 pony! Regardless of whatever her personality is, there is just something about that color scheme that makes me want to hug her! And just imagine her all snuggled up nomming on a candy cane uvu

• Brohoof 3