Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What If Hasbro Made A New G3 Cartoon?

Denim&Venöm

I remember early last year I went to a Barnes & Noble and found a Generation 3 Cardboard foldout book. It was manufactured in 2012. Despite their success in G4, Hasbro is still producing G3 merchandise. Earlier this year during the Mega-Mare-A -Thon, The Hub network premiered three G3 specials. Those specials actually did quite well in the ratings. This coming Saturday, The 'formerly known as Hub' will be premiering two more G3 OVAs. 

Which begs the question: What if Hasbro commissioned for the creation of a new generation 3 mini-series, separate from G4 and specifically stated to be targeted towards the younger demographic rather than all ages like back in the old days (of 2003)? 

g3pon.png

How would the brony community in general react? How would you react? Would you give it a shot? How well do you think it would do upon it's premiere if released on TV or how well do you think it would sell if straight to DVD/Btlu-ray? 

I don't think I would watch it. Because well unlike g4 which had a lot more adult jokes in it (originally intended to make it bearable to watch for parents too) g3 had none of those things. I've seen some G3 stuff and for me it's kids stuff in it's purest form.. and not enjoyable for me at all xD.

I would probably not make a big deal out of it myself but I bet some bronies would go totally apeshit if a g3 miniseries would air.

Still I think it's highly unlikely they make time to air a new set of episodes from a generation before.

Fans wouldn't be too pleased about a new G3 cartoon, myself included. I would feel pretty ticked if they did release a new G3 cartoon, because A. It means Hasbro hasn't learnt anything about quality after the success of G4 and B. A utopia full of happy happy joy ponies without conflict would not only be annoying, but degrading and rather scary. Trust me, I've seen the original G3 and it's something I never want to watch again. If they were to make a new G3, then I could definitely see it being aimed at a younger audience.

That would seem rather impractical on Hasbro's part. I don't see why Hasbro would allocate a chunk of their budget to fund new G3 episodes, especially now that they have a bigger audience with the more financially successful and critically acclaimed G4. Not to mention that G3 isn't based on Hasbro's current MLP toy line. It just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint.

And if for some reason Hasbro actually did hire a studio to make G3 episodes, I probably wouldn't support it unless it was directed by Tommy Wiseau.

G3 is the one that appealed more to young girls.

G3's target audience is the same as G4's, only G4 has effort put into it.

Edited by SpaceOnion

I can't really see that happening.

If Hasbro really wanted something extra to target the younger end of the audience, the logical thing to do would be to introduce some new filly/colt characters (a few years younger than the CMCs) and their parents as side characters in MLP:FIM and then spin them off into their own show with, say, five minute episodes. It would be perfectly possible to make such a show fun and successful. Witness Peppa Pig.

In fact, with the Cake family, they already have good candidates. This would give them a chance to include Pinkie Pie as an occasional cameo, who has plenty of potential for amusing children. Then introduce a few other families with fillies and colts in the same age bracket to interact with. It could be very successful with a young audience.

If, once or twice in every episode there was a glimpse of a mane 6 pony or fan favourite character (Vinyl, Octavia, Derpy, etc) in the background walking past, or enjoying a milkshake at the Cake's café, then bronies would probably lap it up too. ("Did you spot her? Did you spot her? She's at 3:51 in the top left corner of the screen! OMG! It's Derpy! And she's eating a muffin! Totes adorbs!")

Edited by Vital Sparkle
  • Brohoof 2

Which begs the question: What if Hasbro commissioned for the creation of a new generation 3 mini-series, separate from G4 and specifically stated to be targeted towards the younger demographic rather than all ages like back in the old days (of 2003)?

If they did? Well, I don't see it bothering me if I can just stick to G4.

Can't say I know what people at Hasbro are thinking but I think G4 shows them that an all-ages program done right could sell more toys than something strictly aimed at younger audiences that risk making older audiences gag. 

Yeah.  What Vital Sparks said.  They've already got plenty of candidates.  Pipsqueak & Dinky Hooves, guest shots from Luna (perhaps an episode about being scared of the dark?).  Diamond Tiara being stuck baby sitting (I'm thinking Angela from Rug Rats).

Maybe a baby from Cadence & Shining Armor, or younger siblings of Octavia or Vinyl Scratch.

The G3 ponies are definitely for the young end of the 2-11 demographics.  I've got no quarrel w that, let the kids have their fun, childhood is all too brief & grownups have enough stuff they shouldn't begrudge kids their toys.  However, I've seen enough of that stuff to know that if the average adult tries to watch it, their head will explode

Lmao 

It'd be like the Equestria Girls fiasco. Remember when last year everybody flipped their tables, PMSing about how MLP is now ruined and changed forever, and how everyone thought the human designs looked disgusting? And this would be worse because for some reason everyone seems to hate G3. Probably because they just saw some other guy say it's bad and wanted to jump on the hate train. CHOO CHOO!

Honestly, G3 was alright. Not as good as G4, but still average. 

I doubt Hasbro would do this anyway.

• Brohoof 3

I think a remake would be nice,  but maybe post it on the youtube channal

and in shorts.   And if its the same team that gives us the FiM I think it would

work out nicely!  Would be nice to have a different MLP show other than FiM

on also!

I would not watch however this is only G3 so I don't care but from the looks and sound of it, it seems not to good. G4 i can watch sometimes when I'm really bored but other times I just watch documentaries. G3 just seems meh to me it's just what supports the demographic unlike G4

They're not going to go back to doing anything related to G3 when it was G4 that put so much food on the table for Hasbro. Comparatively speaking, no one was interested in G3. The foldout book from 2012 that was mentioned in the first post was probably one of the last things produced for G3 under a contract to a licensee that was signed several years prior.

• Brohoof 1

The first question from new-school fandom would obviously be "Where's Fluttershy?" :angry::P

Well, if younger ones like it then Hasbro's goal is done! Also why wouldn't it happen? Why would a successful general-demographic targeted series as FiM be an obstacle? Transformers has it's Rescue Bots sub-franchise for younger audiences.

• Brohoof 2

I remember early last year I went to a Barnes & Noble and found a Generation 3 Cardboard foldout book. It was manufactured in 2012. Despite their success in G4, Hasbro is still producing G3 merchandise. Earlier this year during the Mega-Mare-A -Thon, The Hub network premiered three G3 specials. Those specials actually did quite well in the ratings. This coming Saturday, The 'formerly known as Hub' will be premiering two more G3 OVAs. 

img-3328825-1-g3pon.png

How would the brony community in general react? How would you react? Would you give it a shot? How well do you think it would do upon it's premiere if released on TV or how well do you think it would sell if straight to DVD/Btlu-ray? 

Except for Rarity and perhaps Spike, those all look specifically like G3.5.

Wow, G3.5 looks even less like real-life horses. The G4 ponies are more anatomically accurate to equines in comparison. At that point, why even bother calling them ponies? just call them monkeys with stubs for limbs.

maybe there's some sort of animal that looks like them

Wow, G3.5 looks even less like real-life horses. The G4 ponies are more anatomically accurate to equines in comparison. At that point, why even bother calling them ponies? just call them monkeys with stubs for limbs.

maybe there's some sort of animal that looks like them

At least G3.5 have different designs, in G3 all ponies have the same mane, the same faces... Basically they looked like clones.

They do still produce G3 merch, and in Wilkos I saw G1 stationary recently. And I’m sure that perhaps they could do a spin-off of G4 or something for a younger audience.

But I don’t see why they’d bring back G3 the show:

Sure market the old show on DVD etc, MLP is bigger than just one generation of it that we all like. But for one thing, wouldn’t it make it confusing having two characters with the same name? since G4 borrows names of characters and even places from G3.

And wouldn't it make more sense to just do a spin off of G4? 

Edited by Scootaloodle

I can't really see that happening.

If Hasbro really wanted something extra to target the younger end of the audience, the logical thing to do would be to introduce some new filly/colt characters (a few years younger than the CMCs) and their parents as side characters in MLP:FIM and then spin them off into their own show with, say, five minute episodes. It would be perfectly possible to make such a show fun and successful. Witness Peppa Pig.

In fact, with the Cake family, they already have good candidates. This would give them a chance to include Pinkie Pie as an occasional cameo, who has plenty of potential for amusing children. Then introduce a few other families with fillies and colts in the same age bracket to interact with. It could be very successful with a young audience.

If, once or twice in every episode there was a glimpse of a mane 6 pony or fan favourite character (Vinyl, Octavia, Derpy, etc) in the background walking past, or enjoying a milkshake at the Cake's café, then bronies would probably lap it up too. ("Did you spot her? Did you spot her? She's at 3:51 in the top left corner of the screen! OMG! It's Derpy! And she's eating a muffin! Totes adorbs!")

That reminds me, Faust wanted for the CMCs having their own spin-off series. I don't see that happening anymore, since they seem to be mentally more mature.

Anyway, if a new G3 series would happen, I doubt I would watch it, but it would be fun for the rants of the fandom for it  :lol: . I'm still curious why they are still making G3 merchandise during G4  :huh: , seems they can still make some profit out of it

The moderators warned me about shouting abuse so I won't say anything. But god I can feel the rage burning up in me at this guy. I wish this thread had never been made. MLP should NEVER look back on its previous horrors.

Edited by Arctofire

As long as it stayed a mini series or spinoff I wouldn't mind too much, I probably wouldn't watch it as G3 isn't exactly my cup of tea (I tried watching it but nuh uh). I do think it is rather interesting that they have been airing G3 specials lately and Hasbro of course is paying attention to this but I don't think it is way too soon to panic. Hasbro is trying to appeal to its "target audience" thus the G3 specials being aired and G3 merch still being sold but is also well aware of how much money they are making off the new found brony audience and dosen't want to lose them.