Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do we really know Fluttershy as a character?

TheMisterManGuy

Yeah, her behavior in Putting Your Hoof Down or Best Night Ever show she has a LOT of repressed anger. (Other episodes as well, just these 2 are clearest)  IMO, she is so meek & mild because she fears what she might do if she wasn't being so nice.

Her secretly plotting world domination but too shy to pull it off for fear of hurting somebody's feelings makes her sound like a Democrat ;)

Yeah, her behavior in Putting Your Hoof Down or Best Night Ever show she has a LOT of repressed anger. (Other episodes as well, just these 2 are clearest)  IMO, she is so meek & mild because she fears what she might do if she wasn't being so nice.

Her secretly plotting world domination but too shy to pull it off for fear of hurting somebody's feelings makes her sound like a Democrat ;)

I don't think she's secretly plotting world domination. But I feel she's been in a lot of emotional pain and resentment for much of her life. I'm willing to bet she was a puppet of some larger villain.

When I say we don't know much about Fluttershy, I mean we don't really know much about her on a personal level. We know she's shy, We know she likes animals, and we know she's kind. But beyond that, much of her traits are just briefly hinted at. We've seen her explode with rage, but where did it all come from exactly? She fell from cloudsdale during her fillyhood, but did she ever return? We know she's a weak flyer, but why? How did she get The Stare, or her freaky sewing talents? Why does she repress all these negative opinions and feelings?

This is what I mean. Just like how Pinkie's actions and motivations are rarely explained, Fluttershy's past and quirks are rarely explained.

As far as I've noticed, a lot of Fluttershy's potential has yet to be realized (we've seen many times that she's more capable than her fear of the spotlight would allow her to prove), but the character pretty much seems all there. The meek, "you first" attitude is typical of people who don't have a lot of faith in their own capabilities or self-worth, and we saw that her childhood classmates spent a lot of time taking both away from her.

Taking solace in "cute" things and constantly being nice could suggest that she was sheltered more than she was taught to stand strong, but the genuine fascination with what she does and the way that she's legitimately good at being kind suggests it really is her personality. And the lashing out in Putting Your Hoof Down doesn't really change my mind on that. A lack of self-worth is a heavy burden to bear, and shedding it can be a little too much of a relief sometimes, making you feel entitled to build yourself a little too big above others. The fact that she went back on it the second it occurred to her that she was now the inflicter, and the fact that she's slowly gotten better at asserting herself since then through being validated, makes me think that's pretty much all there is to it. 

Now granted, there's a lot we haven't gotten the back story on, but at the moment, I don't see it as anything on a different level than the other characters. We don't know, for example, where Pinkie Pie got her party cannon, or exactly when/why Rainbow Dash dropped out of flight school, or what it was like for the Apple siblings to grow up without parents, especially the two who must have had time to get to know them before they died. It just doesn't leave an essential gap. (Well, okay, maybe that last one does.)

• Brohoof 1

Never really thought about it that way, but you have a point. Though, I don't necessarily think that a lot of that is evidence of a mysterious past, it's just the point of her character. She doesn't voice personal opinions because she's afraid to, and I always assumed The Stare was just her being a sort of mother figure to the animals she cares for.

According to her name, FlutterSHY, I'm going to assume that her shyness is purely in her nature. I can explain it just as well as the sun shining, grass growing, birds chirping, etc. It seems that according to the Equestria world, names are ascribed to one another based on their character, such as Rainbow Dash having rainbow hair and being fast and Rarity being beautiful. We can rule out the possibility that her shyness is directly derived from childhood abuse.

Though, the reason why we never see her parents is a total mystery. The lack of information regarding her parents, given that they exist, may lead to a poignant story. Perhaps her parents have been dead ever since she was a baby, and she was forced to live with her cruel uncle Vernon, aunt Petunia, and Cousin Dudley (and also Aunt Marge on occasion), where she spent a sizable deal of a childhood living in a cupboard under the stairs. Maybe it was her parents who were abusive to her. Maybe one of them's an earth pony. Maybe it's a total anticlimactic and the parents just turn out to generic ponies.

I think the key to unlock the Fluttershy mystery could be from her parents. Anything is possible.

According to her name, FlutterSHY, I'm going to assume that her shyness is purely in her nature. I can explain it just as well as the sun shining, grass growing, birds chirping, etc. It seems that according to the Equestria world, names are ascribed to one another based on their character, such as Rainbow Dash having rainbow hair and being fast and Rarity being beautiful. We can rule out the possibility that her shyness is directly derived from childhood abuse.

Though, the reason why we never see her parents is a total mystery. The lack of information regarding her parents, given that they exist, may lead to a poignant story. Perhaps her parents have been dead ever since she was a baby, and she was forced to live with her cruel uncle Vernon, aunt Petunia, and Cousin Dudley (and also Aunt Marge on occasion), where she spent a sizable deal of a childhood living in a cupboard under the stairs. Maybe it was her parents who were abusive to her. Maybe one of them's an earth pony. Maybe it's a total anticlimactic and the parents just turn out to generic ponies.

I think the key to unlock the Fluttershy mystery could be from her parents. Anything is possible.

Well, Fluttershy is the only one who's name is directly based of a personality trait. Everyother pony is named after their talents or physical attributes. Part of me wants to believe that Fluttershy is just a nickname some pony gave her, and that her full name reflects her physical traits rather than her personality.

If you think about it, we know a fair amount of AJ and Rarity's backgrounds & family & some about Pinkie & Twilight.  But Dash & Fluttershy, we know they are from Cloudsdale, how they got their Cutie Marks,  that F was bullied, & R was flag pony & wanted to be a Wondercolt, but that's about it.  Oh & Dash was called "Rainbow Crash" & wasn't credited w the 1st Sonic Rainboom as a foal.

F's character is well developed, but both Pegasi have about equal mystery backgrounds

I have a theory here.

Maybe Luna is her mother. She acts new'ish to Luna and a little formeler to her. She even gets hugged by Luna while Luna tries to contently talk with her (SPOILERS HAVE BEEN REVALED OF LUNA'S APPERANCE IN SEASON 2!)

Although, Im still thinking she's a little bit of a creepy character. Like for example we all know that RD may have a slight love to her. Meaning shipping may be closing to a theory. She may be a best friend and closest pony to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash, is cool, tomboyish and always hyper leading to Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie to energentic, and cake making. Cake making is creative eh? Creative is Rarity, and Rarity makes dresses, finds gems and always around Spike. Rarity can lead to Twilight being close with Spike and always helping. Helpful? Helpful to Applejack for being honest, helpful, and always the charming Apple pony. The Mane 6 may have a bit of a ring of the ponies' likes, dislikes, and also of course being in common. It's a little wierd how this could reflect for Fluttershy to be a bit of the same pony of another pony. She could possibly be something with Luna, or maybe even Twilight. She has a base of 'shy' and 'animal lover'. Animals, animals and more animals. What's her secret!?

It'd be lovely if Luna and Flutter were related, but I can't agree unless Luna could reproduce asexually xD

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think she's one of the most interesting characters in the series. She was bullied as a filly, and because of that, she's shy around people who she doesn't know. She slowly becomes more open with people as the series progresses, and I like that. No one can overcome something like shyness in a day.

• Brohoof 1

I think she's one of the most interesting characters in the series. She was bullied as a filly, and because of that, she's shy around people who she doesn't know. She slowly becomes more open with people as the series progresses, and I like that. No one can overcome something like shyness in a day.

I personaly think its something deeper. The show has hinted that there's a sort of...... Dark side to her, on numerous occasions. One who's manipulative, hostile, couragous, and even defiant. Something must've happened in her past to give her these bipolar tendencies. That combined with The Stare, the wherabouts of her family, and her strange knowlege of sewing and knitting imply there's a lot more left to be explored this character. 

I don't think she's mysterious as much as she just isn't a very dynamic character.  We know plenty about her- or at least no less than we do for any of the other cast members- her personality, her likes and dislikes, how she was bullied as a filly, etc.  I just don't find it all that interesting because it's very similar ground covered multiple times.

I personaly think its something deeper. The show has hinted that there's a sort of...... Dark side to her, on numerous occasions. One who's manipulative, hostile, couragous, and even defiant. Something must've happened in her past to give her these bipolar tendencies. That combined with The Stare, the wherabouts of her family, and her strange knowlege of sewing and knitting imply there's a lot more left to be explored this character.

She has pent up anger because she's afraid to let it out. This might be treading into headcanon territory, but I think her being the element of kindness prevents her from wanting to release anger at appropriate moments, and because of this, it comes out all at once at random times. I also think it's possible that she just feels strongly about certain things, and this makes her react the way that she does. In the episode where she makes Rarity and Pinkie cry, it was because she felt that was the right thing to do. Iron Will made her believe that being assertive is the way to go. I almost think that Iron didn't mean for her to be so aggressive. Flutters just felt that it was needed from his speech. Onto the sewing and knitting. I don't see anything strange about that. She probably just learned it from a friend or something. It would be nice to learn about her family, though.

• Brohoof 1

She has pent up anger because she's afraid to let it out. This might be treading into headcanon territory, but I think her being the element of kindness prevents her from wanting to release anger at appropriate moments, and because of this, it comes out all at once at random times. I also think it's possible that she just feels strongly about certain things, and this makes her react the way that she does. In the episode where she makes Rarity and Pinkie cry, it was because she felt that was the right thing to do. Iron Will made her believe that being assertive is the way to go. I almost think that Iron didn't mean for her to be so aggressive. Flutters just felt that it was needed from his speech. Onto the sewing and knitting. I don't see anything strange about that. She probably just learned it from a friend or something. It would be nice to learn about her family, though.

Still, there's a lot of story potential to explore with her. And I hope the writers are willing to flesh her out more in Season 5 rather than just tossing her to the wayside until the next being shy/scared stock plot pops up like they usually do.

Still, there's a lot of story potential to explore with her. And I hope the writers are willing to flesh her out more in Season 5 rather than just tossing her to the wayside until the next being shy/scared stock plot pops up like they usually do.

I'd definitely like to see her get fleshed out more. I'd like to see anypony get fleshed out more. I think they will be in season 5.

We've seen her character quite alot in the show :squee: Though it's kind of disappointing that they only touch on her shyness most of the time and not on the other aspects to her character and personality :( Edited by Pink Mist

A while back I made a topic asking if Fluttershy was the most mysterious of the mane 6. The general consensus seemed to be yes. However, it's not just Fluttershy's background we're in dark about, it's her entire character we're in the dark about. Compared to the other mane 6, Fluttershy almost never says anything personal, rarely voices her opinion, and when she's not trying to get over her social anxiety/fear for the umpteenth time, all of her episodes are about caring for others. In many cases, she might as well be a background pony.

But all this would make for a pretty one-dimensional character. But what makes Fluttershy interesting is that she's a sort of enigma, in some cases moreso than Pinkie and Discord. There's a sense of hidden depth to her character that's been hinted at many times in the show. We've seen instances of anger issues, courage, sarcasm, we've seen her being sly and manipulative, and she can be a bit of a Deadpan snarker occasionaly. The stare may be connected to her past, and the fact that Discord had forcefuly flip her means there's something about her she's not telling us.

As much as I love this mysterious, enigma aspect to her character, I feel we've been in the dark a bit too long. I'm hoping Season 5 moves away from the whole "time to be less shy" aspect of her episodes and give some much needed revelation about who she really is. Why is she so shy? Where did she learn The Stare? Who is her family? 

while i do agree that itd be interesting to see her back story i kinda think that much like fluttershy they are showing us more and more in little by little amounts but what we do know about her is a good amount plus think of what her back story could be pretty dark for my little pony 

• Brohoof 1

She is just as much of an important character as Pinkie or Apple Jack. representing peace and harmony, her character will continue to keep everyone together. Friendship is magic, and where is the magic without your friend?

We know enough of her personality; she's kind, shy, likes interacting with animals, sensitive, gets angry at times, etc. what we don't know about her is her background because all we've got so far is that she's from Cloudsdale. We also don't know any relatives of her.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie
  • Brohoof 1