Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Immersive Video Games

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

One aspect of certain games that I love, if this is done right, is immersion, the concept of absorbing the player into its world and making us get lost in it. This is a hard thing to do from what I have seen, but there are games that have easily done this for me. So we can discuss this! What are some games that have engrossed you deeply? Games that you think have great immersion? How did they immerse you? Discuss away!

Here are some for me:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (The ice cave level in particular is one of the best ever in gaming for me)

Child of Light (Everything, the music, the art, all of it)

Any of the Metal Gear Solid games (The dialogue in particular gets me intrigued all the time)

Any of the Telltale games (Most recently Game of Thrones)

Minecraft (Yeah, I get really deep in that game. :P It's relaxing!)

Those are just some that have done this for me.

What about all of you?

i haven´t played any games where the main fun of it is to immerse yourself in it´s world in quite a few years,but i remember getting kind of lost in the world of "Fable 2".

The game was amazing in terms of creating an organic and lively world that made you feel like you actually care about what´s happening to it.

Minecraft and Terraria (I play these games for hours only focused on two objectives survive and find rare items)

Elder Scrolls and Fallout series (a game that you pretty much decide every outcome even how your character looks sometimes I even get emotional towards what happens especially in Fallout 3 when you complete Homefront)

Dust an Elysian Tail (when that game became free for Xbox I thought it was going to suck terribly but then I realized its very similar to Castlevania and I ended up playing that game for hours even days until I finally beat it and the final cutscene nearly brought me to tears)

Paper Mario 2 TTYD (this game use to be my least favorite in my collection then I got older and actually learned how to play then I got addicted to the game being one of my all time favorite childhood games)

Wizard 101 (the game may look like its advertised for children but I can assure you for a game rated E10+ its actually very very good and with some friends and a little bit of practice in the combat it becomes one hell of a good time I actually have plans on doing a full on lets play of this game for my channel with 3 of my friends)

-Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light: Not too sure what to say. They did a very good job of portraying post-apocalyptic Moscow, the soundtrack very suitable to the setting, and the sound... all culminating into a powerful atmosphere.

-STALKER games: These games are not too polished but nevertheless gives you an open world taking place in the radiation zone in Ukraine. Graphics are dated but nevertheless suited to the post-apocalyptic-esque setting. To me the most notable thing from these games is the dark ambient soundtracks. It's perhaps noteworthy, for those who don't know, some of the developers of the STALKER games would later on work on the Metro games. Really wish they made STALKER 2 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2af7vXcf4A

Edited by Krovavaya Luna

Several games come to mind, including Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3.  Also Amnesia: The Dark Descent, as well as the games in that studio's Penumbra series, which came before Amnesia.

Another that I can think of is The Path, but that's more of an art project than a game.  It forces you to slow down and explore the game world, so the immersion doesn't necessarily come naturally.

It's still in really early development, but...

STAR CITIZEN

Oh my gosh that game is freaking amazing. Is and will be amazing. Fully first person space simulator made by Chris Roberts - the guy who made the wing commander series, Freelancer, and Starlancer. Completely crowd funded to the tune of 66 MILLION dollars and about to crack 67 mill means they have no obligation to any publishers - the game is being made by the people that love the game for the fans who have backed it. 

You are piloting a spaceship, as a pilot. You want to get up and go fix that thumping noise in the engine room? Sure. What? You need to EVA to fix that? Yep. Can do that too. Pirates attack? Pull out your gun, drift over and land on their hull, have an epic magboot enabled first person gunfight on the outside of a dancing fighter,

And the graphics. Oh sweet celestia. Look at this fanmade trailer cut from entirely in engine footage and tell me something didn't jump in your heart.

Edited by Bandersaur

Mhmmm, immersion is one of those key features to me, if I can't get immersed in the game that is about half the fun of it gone. Not to say I don't play games that aren't immersive, but immersion is one of the top things I look for in a game.

• ARMA 1-3 + OFP
  • Star Citizen
  • Elite Dangerous
  • IL2 Battle of Stalingrad
  • FS2004
  • FSX
  • P3D
  • DCS World
  • Iron Front Liberation 1944
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • Take on Mars(Manned Mission version)
  • Stalker series
  • Minecraft
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Could go on, but these are probably some of the more immersive games I have especially when one uses TrackIR with some of these(Wish I had an Occulus Rift though)