Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inkscape help

AmberDust

I looks like Inkscape is popular Amon artists here, and I downloaded it recently, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm having a really hard time with this software and I don have the patience for trial and error when trying to figure out all the tools. Could anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to draw ponies on Inkscape?

(And don't worry--I already know how to draw: rebecca-47.deviantart.com)

In afraid my style might be to sketchy for vector art, but then again, I'm not sure how it works.

Vector programs aren't really ideal for drawing from scratch.  It's more practical to import a sketch and use Inkscape's tools to draw the clean lines over it.

I recommend using the Pencil tool, with the Smoothing set to ~60, and the shape set to Ellipse.  This stabilizes unsteady strokes and creates nice tapers on the lines.  Scale up the sketch nice and big and do your clean linework this way and you can get really nice results.

Also, if you can't seem to get the thickness of a line right, you can change the thickness by selecting it and going to Path > Path Effect Editor...  In that window, there's a width property for the line.

• Brohoof 3

Vector programs aren't really ideal for drawing from scratch.  It's more practical to import a sketch and use Inkscape's tools to draw the clean lines over it.

I recommend using the Pencil tool, with the Smoothing set to ~60, and the shape set to Ellipse.  This stabilizes unsteady strokes and creates nice tapers on the lines.  Scale up the sketch nice and big and do your clean linework this way and you can get really nice results.

Also, if you can't seem to get the thickness of a line right, you can change the thickness by selecting it and going to Path > Path Effect Editor...  In that window, there's a width property for the line.

Cool, thank you!

Is there any way of making it so the width of the lines you draw stay consistent? Like, making it default (at 0.5 preferably)? With every new line it goes back to 1.000...

Not as far as I can tell unfortunately.  There is a Preferences window (Shift+Ctrl+P) but I couldn't figure any way in it to change the default width.

But if you do want your average size to be thinner, you can select everything and scale it up; Inkscape has a huge range of zoom so you should be able to get everything large enough where the 1.0 point thickness works for the average weight.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think SAI can do vectors, can it? Plus, Inkscape is free.

If I remember, SAI/UPS has a vector layer type for lines and stuff, but it turns it into a bitmap after you save it.

If I remember, SAI/UPS has a vector layer type for lines and stuff, but it turns it into a bitmap after you save it.

I'm fine with that--but I though SAI was just as complicated/irritating as Inkscape?

• 2 weeks later...