Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music [WIP] Grim Tellings - An Orchestral School Project

Twilight Sparkle ✨

I'm writing an original piece of music for a school project. It's supposed to be based on Shakespeare's Macbeth play, but I strongly urge you not to think of it as "yet another school project" - the original play had no music in it, so this is really inspired by it more than it is actually directly based on it.

This is just a preview of the first minute or so - there's a lot more to come. But I'd appreciate any constructive feedback I could get, seeing as it's due on Monday.

Preview 1:

http://mlpforums.com/uploads/monthly_11_2011/post-1-0-65867100-1321086632.ipb?.mp3

Preview 2:

http://mlpforums.com/uploads/monthly_11_2011/post-1-0-60233200-1321260439.ipb?.mp3

Project - Preview 1.mp3

Project - Preview 2.mp3

I've also included screenshots of my staff and the process of setting up the instruments, in case you're interested in how exactly I put this together.

Instruments.png

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
Added an MP3 player
  • Brohoof 3

I think it's great, I can't wait for the finished project. And if I'm not mistaken I hear a little bit of the MLP opening theme there at 31 seconds in? I wonder if that was intentional or not :P

*attempting to be constructive on purpose*

For a tune called Grim Tellings, it's awful happy after the beginning.

I think it should be more relaxed and true to it's name. It's good, but it's not what I was expecting from the minute you gave us.

I think it's great, I can't wait for the finished project. And if I'm not mistaken I hear a little bit of the MLP opening theme there at 31 seconds in? I wonder if that was intentional or not :P

I am very glad to hear that I'm not the only person that caught that! I was getting worried that maybe my mind was getting too fixated on ponies. :blink:

I remember back when I was in english literature class in year 9, and we were deliberating the emotional implications of Macbeth, via the assistance of an audiotape. there was nothing to listen to but the melodramatic ravings of the voice actors,if only i has some form of background music I could of zoned out to (preferably one that dropped mlp references like your own) :P

Seeing as the regicide/ associated tragedy of the story doesn't set in until later in the play, it seems relatively fitting for the first scene of the play (skipping the witches scene of course).

As for the choice of instruments, as it's only the first section i'd say that you've chosen an appropriate variety which seem to complement each other quite well.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to hearing the next section!

Edited by Swoop

What a great piece of music, Feld0. Really liked that you added some of the MLP opening theme. ^^ Looking forward to the complete music track!

Edited by Jonke

I am very glad to hear that I'm not the only person that caught that! I was getting worried that maybe my mind was getting too fixated on ponies. :blink:

No, that was not intentional. I didn't even realize that little jingle was from the MLP theme until you guys pointed it out and I had a close side-by-side listen with it. I think I'm the one whose mind is too fixated on ponies.

Come to think of it... isn't the part at 0:09 also from somewhere in FiM? :o

*attempting to be constructive on purpose*

For a tune called Grim Tellings, it's awful happy after the beginning.

I think it should be more relaxed and true to it's name. It's good, but it's not what I was expecting from the minute you gave us.

I haven't written the grim part yet, that's why it's so happy. The name isn't final, either. :)

I remember back when I was in english literature class in year 9, and we were deliberating the emotional implications of Macbeth, via the assistance of an audiotape. there was nothing to listen to but the melodramatic ravings of the voice actors,if only i has some form of background music I could of zoned out to (preferably one that dropped mlp references like your own) :P

Seeing as the regicide/ associated tragedy of the story doesn't set in until later in the play, it seems relatively fitting for the first scene of the play (skipping the witches scene of course).

As for the choice of instruments, as it's only the first section i'd say that you've chosen an appropriate variety which seem to complement each other quite well.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to hearing the next section!

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Swoop! Nice to hear some from someone else who has studied the play.

The first act does start off on a rather cheerful note, as Macbeth becomes the thane of Cawdor and gets excited about the prospect of becoming king. I'm trying to capture this excitement in the first movement of the piece. The reason I skipped the witches' scene is because I simply couldn't come up with a way to fit it into the otherwise happy melodies I've got spinning in my mind.

The next section is a majestic fanfare that represents Macbeth "moving up" in the world and accepting his new position as the thane of Cawdor. I'm going to drop another pony reference there, with the difference that this next one is 100% intentional.

The full piece is going to be somewhere from 5-10 minutes long and will have 3 distinct movements - this happy, cheerful opener; a gloomy, condescending movement representing Macbeth's corruption and turn to evil; and an epic finale based on the final battle. It's supposed to be based on Macbeth... but at this rate, it might turn out closer to piece of pony music. :lol:

Minor update: I added an MP3 player to the OP for easier listening. ;)

Major update: I've finished writing the second movement of the piece that represents Macbeth's corruption. I cut out the first half of it and added it to the OP. Feedback would be appreciated, even though the project is due in about 7.5 hours.

• 8 years later...