Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could I get a few opinions on which shading style is better?

SFyr

So I was finishing up one of my outstanding requests, and found myself rather liking how it looked halfway through the shading stage...

I then asked a friend whether she preferred it finished, or not, and well, she preferred the unfinished (left) image, before I softened the shading a bit.

So, can I get some opinions? Which looks better (and maybe why)?

Thanks in advance!

post-24809-0-80952100-1418792390_thumb.png

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 6

@@, thank you both! That's two for the right so far.  :derp:  

@, thank you for your comment.  :muffins:  And yeah, that's similar to the comment I got from my friend.

• Brohoof 1

@@, thank you both! That's two for the right so far.  :derp:  

@, thank you for your comment.  :muffins:  And yeah, that's similar to the comment I got from my friend.

You're probably going to get a lot of people for the right, but it is going to be close.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely the right one, it has a certain HD look to it when compared to the left. As someone with fairly sensitive eyes, the right one is less straining and much nicer to look at.

@, I get that feeling. I think the right is a little easier on the eyes, but the left would be faster to work with (and may work better with simple backgrounds), and has its own pros in appearance.

@, thank you for chiming in!♪ Sensitive or no, I can agree the right is a little easier to look at. Probably why it was my first choice personally.  :)

@@TheFunk, thanks for your opinion!

Yeah, at this point I'm getting the feeling that the choice doesn't matter a ton.  :wat: 'Tis just a preference I guess, or a situational convenience.

I suppose it depends on what kind of art style you're aiming for. For me, I always shade like the left one as it fits my cartoon-y art style, but the right one gives your art style more personality. It's all up to you on what you want to choose, but I'd go for the right one.

I suppose it depends on what kind of art style you're aiming for. For me, I always shade like the left one as it fits my cartoon-y art style, but the right one gives your art style more personality. It's all up to you on what you want to choose, but I'd go for the right one.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel I'm better off learning both and sticking to neither.  :) Maybe I can use the former for images with simple backgrounds, if nothing else.

Thank you for your thoughts and comment, regardless! 'Tis appreciated.  :muffins:

And yeah, taking a brief look through your dA, you make it work quite nicely.  :catface: I see what you meant when you said it fits your style.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer the right. The left looks like someone is shining a very bright light on her. It's a bit too stark for my tastes. Her tail looks nicer on the right too.

Now, shading aside. That's wonderful work!

Thank you for your input!  :lol: Yeah, I kinda feel the right is a little softer (which I like), but not everyone prefers that I suppose.  :P

• Brohoof 1

@, thanks for your input~♪  :fluttershy:  'Tis appreciated!

I guess it depends what type of look you're going for. More realistic would be the right one and more of a cartoon style is the left.

I like both but if I had to choose one I am liking the left one. :) Great work on it anyways!

Well, the one on the left has more contrast and looks more cartoon-y, while the right one is softer and looks a bit more realistic. I personally like them both as they are both very well done, but it mainly comes down to personal preference. Your friend probably prefers the cartoon look over the realistic look.

Been gone for a little while, haha... Sorry for the length of this, but I want to respond to everyone who took the time to do the same. 

@, it does seem to boil down to style preference, yeah. I'll probably just go according to that in the future. Thanks for your input!  :yay:

@, thank you! And yeah, the hair does look a little... more flat? I'll give you the right one-ups the left there.  :)

@@Blue Moon, thank you for your input. And yeah, thinking about it, I think she does prefer that kinda style more often.  :lol:

@, thanks for saying so~♪  :muffins:

@@Keponii, perhaps so. I may have gone a little overboard with the blending, but I'm still trying to find that ideal, haha. Thank you!

@, thanks for your opinion. :derp:  People do seem to prefer the clarity of the left, yeah~♪

@, the left is essentially the unfinished version of the left, so I'll give you that no issue. :please:  Thanks for commenting! 

• Brohoof 1