Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony Commits Suicide due to Cyberbullying over a Fanfic

MLPFanatic34

So I don't know if anyone saw this, but a 19 year old named Adam Smith from the UK killed himself due to bullying because he watches MLP and has a learning disability. I don't know about you all, but I for one am disgusted by people that bully others and push them to the point of depression and suicide. May Adam RIP and I pray for his family and friends. Pass along that bullying needs to stop!!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/12/brony-takes-his-own-life-due-to-online.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2877190/Teenage-Little-Pony-fan-posted-heartbreaking-YouTube-video-APOLOGISING-internet-trolls-tormented-days-threw-train.html

• Brohoof 25

Thought this thread was about the famous economist Adam Smith :(

On topic, that's awful to hear about brony Adam Smith. Bullies suck and life in general can be really rough on people. Let this be a cautionary tale to everyone about how not to treat others

• Brohoof 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2877190/Teenage-Little-Pony-fan-posted-heartbreaking-YouTube-video-APOLOGISING-internet-trolls-tormented-days-threw-train.html

Seriously, this cyberbullying has got to stop. Really? People didn't like his fanfic so they cyberbullied him? That is the worst thing a critic can do. I can't even call it criticism. And even after he aplogized, they made fun of trivial crap like his voice. You can't control what your own voice is. They're bullying people over stuff they can't control. 

This isn't even about bronies anymore. This is about cyberbullying in general.

• Brohoof 16

Thanks for posting this thread. I wanted to, but I was too distraught to think of anything sensible to say.

I'll say this, though: crap like this really ticks me off. What's even more frustrating is that it comes as a surprise to so many people.

I do believe that YouTube and some of the exchange of information and communication by comment, without knowing the individual’s reaction to the comment, is dangerous.

People don't seem to grasp that concept. They either fail to understand or refuse to care that their words have the power to kill. No, YouTube isn't evil, but it can be used by ignorant, arrogant, twisted fools, whether deliberately or unwittingly, to spread hatred and, as evidenced here, even literal death. It is not a safe place. It is a dangerous place, especially for anyone less than emotionally stable.

And another thing: this may not be a popular opinion, but while there's nothing wrong with meeting people online, depending on the Internet for social interaction is dangerous beyond belief. For one thing, as close as two people may be online, an exclusively-online friendship can only ever be a shadow of real, human-to-human connection. Living on the Internet encourages people to virtually live in a fantasy land, which far too often they take in place of reality. But it isn't reality, and when reality crashes in on them (as it inevitably does), things like this are liable to happen. And for another thing, living online means putting your trust in people whom, despite what you may want to believe, you don't know. Sure, a good many of them will be reasonably trustworthy, but another good many won't. And without truly getting to know someone, it can be darn near impossible to tell the difference. tl;dr—living online is unwise. And no, it's not the only option.

*sigh* I know that was really ranty, but this kind of thing just really gets me. And it gets me even more that no one ever seems to address the deeper issues.

Edited by Henny Penny Benny
  • Brohoof 12

It's bad enough that sometimes this happens from anti-bronies, not that I am diminishing the problems those bullied by anti-bronies face, but for this to be coming from within the fandom is sickening. Apparently those people learned nothing from the messages of this show and go right on doing the same kind of things this fandom has known to stand against. This bunch of hypocrites deserves to be publicly shamed for this.

• Brohoof 15

Seriously, this cyberbullying has got to stop. Really? People didn't like his fanfic so they cyberbullied him? That is the worst thing a critic can do. I can't even call it criticism. And even after he aplogized, they made fun of trivial crap like his voice. You can't control what your own voice is. They're bullying people over stuff they can't control. 

This isn't even about bronies anymore. This is about cyberbullying in general.

That is very unfortunate. :(

God forbid this happens to anypony else.

• Brohoof 1

This is absolutely appalling, I see this type of stuff go on all over the internet, but the justification is always that this is the internet and it's just what happens. Unfortunately that is how many will act regardless of what people do, but when you go so far as to torture someone and degrade them to the point of suicide(Even if it was just the breaking point and not the entire reason for it). The kid apologized sincerely and only wanted to be accepted by everyone else and he was just ridiculed and pretty much told he was scum by the people he was apologizing to, there is NO excuse for that.

• Brohoof 1

Though humanity is sickening, it is nice to see that when truly tragic things like this happen, the barriers come down. Not one person in that comment section makes even a statement about bronydom, or anything else, because they're focusing on what really matters. The real problem, here. Hopefully society can get closer to that, without need for someone dying, someday.

• Brohoof 6

Wow.Just wow. They tease him about his problems and when he commits suicide they delete their comments like a bunch of cowards. I know that this is the internet and people love to hate on others because no one knows it's them, but some common decency would be appreciated. I'ma be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he got bullied on Fimfiction. If you don't have tough skin you won't survive. They are brutal.

Also my shitty PC almost died trying to read the story. It has nothing to do what's going on, but it scared me. ....Why did I type this?

Edited by NoodleBrony
  • Brohoof 2

I merged two topics, both containing the same information.

Myself, I haven't been able to bring myself to read it yet. I will, but not tonight. I'm not mentally prepared for it, because I know I'll lose my shit.  :(

• Brohoof 8

This happens entirely too often. The sad truth is that we're creatures of habit. Anything that is different from what we think is normal is to be hated. 

• Brohoof 4

Ouch... poor Adam. I sure hope the best of luck for his friends and family.

One thing that I find unfortunate that even though the MLP:FiM fandom is becoming more and more mature (in my opinion), some non-bronies/anti-bronies still think we're still crazy dolts. No matter how much the fandom grew and how much it has positively affected others, it still seems that nobody is willing to accept that we're defying gender roles and whatnot. It's a real shame.

And is it me, or do I find it bothersome that Daily Mail had to make an article about this? :S

• Brohoof 3

This happens entirely too often. The sad truth is that we're creatures of habit. Anything that is different from what we think is normal is to be hated. 

If aliens, God/Morgan Freeman or another higher power one day decide to exterminate humans for being a self-destructive race (or at that point, if we just do it to ourselves), I wouldn't blame them x) For as much great things we do and are, there's just as much of us that are wastes of space, causing nothing but misery, incapable of anything outside being a judgmental, narrow-minded bully. There are days where it's disgraceful to be a part of the human race.

• Brohoof 2

Ugh. Don't those people have have better things to do than to cyberbully? I leave posts and comments on the internets for curious people to read what I think about something, not to cyberbully! That's not just wrong It's dead wrong!

• Brohoof 2

@, Ever read Mark Twain's "The Lowest Animal?"  There's a line in there that has always stuck with me since I read it in high school.

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."

• Brohoof 9

@, Ever read Mark Twain's "The Lowest Animal?"  There's a line in there that has always stuck with me since I read it in high school.

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."

I'm not much of a reader, but that's a great quote, sad as it is.

God, please watch over this poor boy's family, and bless them with peace, love, and hope in this terrible time of sorrow.  Please bless others like Adam and watch out for them, the bullied, the outcast, the ostracized, the belittled; bless them with friends and family who'll always be there for them to support them through the darkest days.  In your name I pray Lord, Amen.

• Brohoof 7

This is absolutely disgusting. Those who drove him to such depth should be prosecuted...

Too much truth in this statement.

• Brohoof 4