Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is currently unemployed?

Dsanders

The title is self-explanatory. Who else here is unemployed and how are you enjoying/loathing it? Feel free to rant about your previous job or about our economy in general. :3

• Brohoof 5

I’m unemployed:

Not signing on either which I hope to get sorted soon.

So far I’ve enjoyed being unemployed, I suppose it’s different for those that are qualified to do stuff they actually want to do. But being unemployed means I can have fun and enjoy myself.

I’d like to work though, either in a hotel or in a shop.

• Brohoof 2

Not unemployed, but before I got this job I was unemployed for 10 months, so I know how frustrating and sad it can be not to find work anywhere. Hang in there and something will surface eventually.

• Brohoof 1

Becoming employed is like winning the lottery. It's almost impossible, at least in these times. I'm pretty sure we're in a depression. In years past, it was reasonably possible to get employed. It isn't anymore. I'm not employed and I only know one in my family that is.

• Brohoof 3

I am. Lucky for me i'm a very low maintainance kinda guy so I can get by while i'm signed on looking for work. I don't mind the free time but kinda hope this doesn't last forever >_<

• Brohoof 1

I've been unemployed for almost the last year and now that I've started school again I have even less of a chance of finding work as I did when my schedule was completely open. Being broke sucks too...

• Brohoof 2

I technically have a job at a local ski resort, and they even gave me the uniform, but I'm still waiting for them to call me for my first day.  They hired a ridiculous number of seasonal employees, and the weather has been pretty warm, so I'm worried that they just have no use for me.  I'm also worried that they'll finally call me to work on Christmas or Christmas Eve, when I should be back east with my family.  It's no good having to rely on other people sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

I had a job, then I quit. I am now unemployed! I really didn't like the people at my job (two people too many, and I was already on probation).

Edited by JingleWolf
  • Brohoof 2

I've been unemployed, unable to find any good opportunity since I graduated high school, wasting time and money on college classes that are repetition of high school concepts, and wasting time applying for nothing.

The companies that can give us experience want experience already so they can cut corners. The education system is a big business. Public education is only configured to set you up on a college track so that you can get loaded down in debt taking required classes you probably don't need to apply in real life. Then once you're done with your major, you're in debt and can't find work in your field, so you have to take menial labor that will barely, if at all, pay off your debts. When you're in your field, you'll probably need to forget everything you learned anyway and learn it the way your company does business. The system is configured in a vicious cycle that keeps the majority poor while picking and choosing who becomes successful, deludes us with false hope of self-fulfillment and individual achievement, and keeps our skills and talents minimal. With coming changes in the composition of the workforce, it will destroy the economy over time if it is not changed.

America needs to stop drinking the college kool-aid in believing that our higher education system is the only path to a job and that it is collectively and unilaterally the best in the world. There are other options out there, and our social systems should be pressed harder to make those other options known. This fixation on creating an idealized society comprised only of people who excell in the academics and funneling everyone into the college track is dangerous and is going to ruin the economy and many people's lives. It is killing the skills, talents, emotions, and confidence of a rising rate of people and it needs to be fixed before the damage becomes even more widespread.

• Brohoof 3

I am unemployed and will stay that way until the US President delivers his/their promise to drop unemployment rates. Or at least make more jobs. I keep trying to get work but every interview is the same: "We will call you and let you know if you got the job or not.". They never call >:( 

I also get the whole, 'you're to overqualified for this job.'. IM TOO OVERQUALIFIED TO STOCK OR DEAL WITH CUSTOMERS?! 

• Brohoof 1

At the moment I am unemployed, but I have applied to several places, mostly retail, and I'm hoping to hear back from at least one of them in the next few days. I'm very quickly running out of money and I don't really have much else I could be doing so I will pretty much take any job I can get.

Edited by AyoMistadurrk
  • Brohoof 1

i am a full-time student, i pretty much only work at summer holidays, where i either help my father or work at a small electronics company.

Edited by Sceethe
  • Brohoof 1

@, I couldn't agree more.  My thoughts exactly.  Great post.

Me, I'm unemployed as well.  I've worked in an ice rink, and in a market back where I used to live.  Then my parents and I moved across the country.  I tried to find work here for a little while.  Basically gave up.  I'm not well suited for any job where I'd have to wait on customers, and I'm not qualified for anything else.  I don't know what I'm going to do with my life.

• Brohoof 1

I'm currently unemployed. I don't mind it, but I'm going job hunting next year. I'd just love some extra cash. *crosses fingers*

• Brohoof 1

I haven't had a job in over a year, and I never really enjoyed working too much. Due to my depression I don't have an education and it also makes it difficult for me to go to work on some days.

I think I might get a job in a year or two for a few years. Then I want to be a stay-at-home mum. :)