Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you feel you aren't the age you really are?

Overdrive

I'm 19, almost 20 years old. I've always thought I'm really older than that based on the way I act and present myself. Does anyone else think they're a different age, or think they should be, as opposed to what your real age is?

And another thought, but do you have any reason why you believe this? Is there any circumstance(s) that have possibly shaped this? Or:

Edited by Sn-Overdrive
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know how I should feel as 17 year old but I feel that I'm not ready for being 20+ year old *hugs*

I was just curious to see if anyone else felt older or younger than they really are.

• Brohoof 2

omfg... only like... ALL OF THE TIME. I'm 26, but I feel like I'm still a teenager. I mean, I even act like a teenager most of the time. With that said, how the hell can I be 26 when I feel like a sixteen year old? DX It's so wrooooong, man!

• Brohoof 4

I felt like that when I was 13, It's mostly because when I was 12, I entered a community of 17+ year olds and to be respectable in it, I felt like I had to lie about my age (completely wrong I must say, a person only a year older has achieved far more respect than I did over the years and he didn't lie). As time passed, I started to act and behave like them, and since most of my waking days was around them, it became my standard form of behavior.

Today I'm 18 years old, and besides being more cool-headed and a few other traits and habits that perhaps make me more respectable or "mature", I do not feel any more mature than the other 18-year-olds around me, and definitely less mature than my "internet boss" (who's 32). Perhaps it's because my circle of friends are my fellow admins and staff at a non-pony community, so I sort of find myself among young adults who became mature faster than some of the other young adults.

Edited by Inactive User
  • Brohoof 1

I used to feel much older than I was when I was younger. Then I actually reached the age I had "felt like" and realized what an immature little punk I was actually being back then xD

Basically, I don't put much stock in a teenager who tells me they're "old for their age". They may like things older people do, and have certain "old" mannerisms (i.e. an "old soul"), but there are important things that you only get by actually experiencing life to a certain point.

Perspective being the main one.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 2

I used to fee like that when I was younger. Then I actually reached the age I had "felt like" and realized what an immature little punk I was at the time xD

This, kind of.

I'm 20 years old. When I was 14-15 I used to feel like I was 18-19, but now I'm a young adult, and I feel like that fits me pretty well. I am pretty mature in a lot of ways, as a young adult is expected to be. But I'm also pretty immature, as a young adult is again expected to be.

I'm at the age where it's perfectly acceptable to take life seriously and still goof off at the same time, and I think that fits exactly the way that I act. I'd say I'm no more or less wise than most people in the range of 18-24. I have some life experiences, yes, but not terribly many. Again, that's generally true for most people my age.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

When I'm with other people my age, I always feel older for some reason. I don't think I can really relate to their humour or anything, and what they do feels sorta immature at times, at least to me (it was worse in school, especially when people were in that phase where they'd swear for the sake of swearing...) :/ And yeah, I haven't really had the best of experiences with them, so I ended up mentally distancing myself from them fairly early on.

On my own though, since I don't have to be worried about what other people would think of me, I feel younger than I am. :) Life just feels more enjoyable to me that way. ;)

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."- Tom Baker

• Brohoof 1

When I'm with other people my age, I always feel older for some reason. I don't think I can really relate to their humour or anything, and what they do feels sorta immature at times, at least to me (it was worse in school, especially when people were in that phase where they'd swear for the sake of swearing...) :/ And yeah, I haven't really had the best of experiences with them, so I ended up mentally distancing myself from them fairly early on.

On my own though, since I don't have to be worried about what other people would think of me, I feel younger than I am. :) Life just feels more enjoyable to me that way. ;)

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."- Tom Baker

Yeah, I was the same way throughout school and most of late childhood / early adolescence. Now that I look back, I think it's really just more of a personality thing, though. I was the introverted type (often to a fault), so of course I always felt more mature whenever I was around my (perceptively) loud and obnoxious peers.

The thing is, I was still immature in other areas. I just started off with a different type of maturity, and gained maturity in other areas. For instance, I didn't learn how to calm down as I grew older, because I didn't need to. I've always been the calm, cool, and collected type... rather than the rambunctious little squirt that most kids are. I did, however, learn how to be more social as I grew older. I learned not to, y'know, be Twilight in the pilot episode.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

omfg... only like... ALL OF THE TIME. I'm 26, but I feel like I'm still a teenager. I mean, I even act like a teenager most of the time. With that said, how the hell can I be 26 when I feel like a sixteen year old? DX It's so wrooooong, man!

EXACTLY! I'm thirty-five, but in my mind and heart I'm sticking with sixteen. Life is far more fun that way!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I think it just depends on which aspect of my life you look at.  Sometimes I can be real wise like an old person, and other times I can be totally oblivious or irresponsible like a 14 year old (no offense to 15 year olds out there). 

• Brohoof 2

My quite polite attitude and calm de-meaner makes me assume I am around the age of Seventeen or so but actually I am Fifteen. I do feel much older than I actually am though and I can't understand why, like before I assume it's because my personality and the way I word my writing most of the time, I do like to show my childish side every so often but usually I feel older so I can say I don't feel I fit my age, plus many teens have a stereotype that I don't fit into, I am not 'Rebel' so to speak so I don't feel like I am a young teenager.

• Brohoof 1

People usually start college when they're 18. I'm gonna start it a week after turning 16 so i'm moving alone to another city. I don't think that's a big difference, but people usually tell me that they're surprised because I'm too young, but look and act like i'm 17 or 18. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I was about to take a knife and make the decision.

People my age don't do that.

Assuming you're talking about suicide (I apologize if you're not), I don't think there's some sort of time-stamp for that. Even here in the fandom we've have several young ones take their own lives, it's really sad but it's not something I'd attribute solely to a particular age group. In fact, it seems counter-productive to consider the contemplation of suicide as a "mature" or "adult" act.

• Brohoof 1

I always felt older then I was when I was going through school, not so much nowadays though. Im not overly sure how most 23 year old's act, other then I guess most of them aren't bronies. :P

I don't really think about it though, I act based on my feelings, not age.

I think it just depends on which aspect of my life you look at.  Sometimes I can be real wise like an old person, and other times I can be totally oblivious or irresponsible like a 14 year old (no offense to 15 year olds out there). 

I think this sums it up pretty well.  I'm 27, but I like a lot of childish things, and can act immature at times (not as often as I used to, though).  On the other hand, I'm also very responsible, like an adult should be, paying my bills, cooking for myself, keeping my apartment clean and organized, etc.  I've thought about this before, and I can only conclude that immaturity and responsibility are not mutually exclusive.

I'm in my mid-20s, but I feel as if I am much older. I suppose that may be a little silly, but everyone expects youth out of me or they tell me to cheer up because I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me... But I don't feel youthful at all anymore. I rarely feel well anymore. My life is behind me, I feel.

• Brohoof 1