Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the ponies deserve Spike?

hironakamura

Ok, yeah that picture that you included in your post is pretty sad. I winced when I realized what it was when I was rewatching the episode. That was pretty bad. :(

With that said, I don't think that we can read much into it. I get the general impression from the show that all of the mane 6 sort of treat Spike as their younger brother. This means that they probably don't give him quite as much respect as he should get. However, it also means that they all really care about him and his safety.

I don't get the impression that they treat him as a pet or a slave. The work that Spike does is literally his job. He works as Twilight's assistant in the Library. The job isn't easy, but it seems as though he really does enjoy his job. As a matter of fact, he panicked when it looked like he was being replaced by Owloysius.

Spike has demonstrated that he is self-aware, intelligent, and capable of reasoning things out. If the situation was really as bad as all that, then why would he stay? Why would he be upset when he was being replaced? You know, some folks actually like working. Maybe Spike is one of them?

I'm going to be honest with you. I may joke around about alternative interpretations on this forum, but I really do think of Spike's feelings for Rarity as being sort of like when a younger kid has a crush on a teacher or something like that.

Besides, in the most recent episode, I really do have to say that Rarity had more of a motherly attitude towards Spike than anything else. She is caring of him and protective but there does not seem to be much "romantic" stuff there from her end of things. (In before SpikexRarity shippers take me to the chopping block.)

This is taken from a post that I did a while back.....

I would like to present a different way of looking at the whole fire ruby incident. Rarity did not push Spike to give her the gem.

She told him (quite clearly) that she thought the gem was fabulous, but Spike gave her the gem of his own free will. To Spike, it was more important for Rarity to be happy than for him to eat the Fire Ruby. He made that decision. Not her.

Giving Rarity the gem was a tremendous act of generosity. In fact, it was that single act of generosity that was able to completely undo the transformation that occurred in Spike due to the many acts of greed that he committed afterwards.

Think about it. If Spike had not shown generosity to the Rarity then it is possible that nothing would have been able to reverse his transformation. Rarity did not use Spike, she actually saved him.

This kind of makes sense though, doesn't it? Rarity is the element of generosity. Generosity can be both given to others and received.

Finally, let's all put this into perspective. Spike gets to spend an inordinate amount of time hanging out with 6 of the most awesome ponies in Equestria and they are female. Most guys would kill to take his place. I'm serious here. Look, if Spike is being tortured then I wouldn't mind some of this torture.

Edit: I left out some stuff the first time due to sloppy copy-pasting. Also, please note, my last paragraph is intended for humorous purposes and is not to be taken at face value (maybe).

I'm gonna have to basically agree with you.

I think the way they treat Spike is sort of how some females treat males back in school. I mean they are just horrible to males alot of the time, and it kinda portrays how spike is being treated imo.

Certainly you can only speak from your experience when you say this, right? I've never been mistreated by any girl at school whether it was in Elementary or currently in high school. Even middle school was decent in regards to that.

• Brohoof 1

Certainly you can only speak from your experience when you say this, right? I've never been mistreated by any girl at school whether it was in Elementary or currently in high school. Even middle school was decent in regards to that.

Well it doesn't happen to me but it happens to almost every guy I know at my school. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to say it was for everyone.

Well it doesn't happen to me but it happens to almost every guy I know at my school. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to say it was for everyone.

Yep, I've definitely heard of those. What exactly do the girls do? Perhaps now we can compare their actions with what the Mane 6 do with Spike.

Yep, I've definitely heard of those. What exactly do the girls do? Perhaps now we can compare their actions with what the Mane 6 do with Spike.

Heres one expample:

Like spike he will be left out of a party. This girl was having a birthday, and apparently this guy is one of her very close friends but she didn't even invite him to the birthday party. So he is ignored at times alot, however when she is having a problem she expects him to listen and give her comfort. It seems kinda similar to how Spike would be left out of a party if one came up with the ponies. Don't you think?

Heres one expample:

Like spike he will be left out of a party. This girl was having a birthday, and apparently this guy is one of her very close friends but she didn't even invite him to the birthday party. So he is ignored at times alot, however when she is having a problem she expects him to listen and give her comfort. It seems kinda similar to how Spike would be left out of a party if one came up with the ponies. Don't you think?

Hm, that is quite interesting. Though, I don't think the Mane 6 would intentionally leave out Spike at their parties - they're all too considerate for that. Perhaps it was demonstrated in the early episodes, seeing as how everybody's bonds weren't as tight as they are now, but really? Spike's not treated like trash at all, especially not after "Dragon Quest".

I can understand your situation, though - teenage girls aren't exactly the best at being considerate themselves, to be quite honest. This also goes for the majority of teenage boys.

Hm, that is quite interesting. Though, I don't think the Mane 6 would intentionally leave out Spike at their parties - they're all too considerate for that. Perhaps it was demonstrated in the early episodes, seeing as how everybody's bonds weren't as tight as they are now, but really? Spike's not treated like trash at all, especially not after "Dragon Quest".

I can understand your situation, though - teenage girls aren't exactly the best at being considerate themselves, to be quite honest. This also goes for the majority of teenage boys.

Yeah that is true, the ponies took awhile to become the considerate friends that they are later in the show. But its very funny how you mention he isn't treated like trash, especially after "Dragon Quest" because that is pretty far into the show xD Anyways I don't think he was completely treated like trash, I just think he wasn't really considered to be a part of the group until later on.

I kinda see it as maybe they don't know how to communicate properly with males, unless they are desperate and feel like thats the only person to go to. Because some of their friends may not be very good that are females. What do you think?

I kinda see it as maybe they don't know how to communicate properly with males, unless they are desperate and feel like thats the only person to go to. Because some of their friends may not be very good that are females. What do you think?

Actually, seeing how Equestria is a female-dominated species, and that Spike is a baby dragon, the Mane 6 may not be willing to give as much attention to Spike as people would like to give them credit for. Then again, we don't exactly follow them around 24/7, as episodes limit our perspectives in that regard.

It is slightly hard for a person to talk to the opposite sex, for somewhat obvious reasons - unless they were clear-cut extroverts and got along with just about anybody. But really, in the matter of attending parties, a rapport with someone may not be good enough for anyone to accept their... buddy of the opposite into the party. They're good help otherwise, but if there's no real bond involved, it's hard to communicate with that person otherwise. And honestly? It's hard for teenagers in generals to get at that level of understanding and appreciation, as their feelings change just about everyday... which could explain perceived bad behavior and attitudes out in the public, or by other people that they personally know.

It's why I pretty much lost a best friend of the opposite gender - we had a great rapport going on, and we liked each other enough to goof around and such, but there wasn't a real bond in the end and we were torn apart by a fight. We didn't understand each other's feelings. That's why I was left out of her social gatherings with her friends and I had to fight the feelings of a lost friendship for about a year, until I recovered.

Actually, seeing how Equestria is a female-dominated species, and that Spike is a baby dragon, the Mane 6 may not be willing to give as much attention to Spike as people would like to give them credit for. Then again, we don't exactly follow them around 24/7, as episodes limit our perspectives in that regard.

It is slightly hard for a person to talk to the opposite sex, for somewhat obvious reasons - unless they were clear-cut extroverts and got along with just about anybody. But really, in the matter of attending parties, a rapport with someone may not be good enough for anyone to accept their... buddy of the opposite into the party. They're good help otherwise, but if there's no real bond involved, it's hard to communicate with that person otherwise. And honestly? It's hard for teenagers in generals to get at that level of understanding and appreciation, as their feelings change just about everyday... which could explain perceived bad behavior and attitudes out in the public, or by other people that they personally know.

It's why I pretty much lost a best friend of the opposite gender - we had a great rapport going on, and we liked each other enough to goof around and such, but there wasn't a real bond in the end and we were torn apart by a fight. We didn't understand each other's feelings. That's why I was left out of her social gatherings with her friends and I had to fight the feelings of a lost friendship for about a year, until I recovered.

I can see where you are coming from about that. I have mixed feelings about that, but I also believe that the people working on MLP were trying to focus on the Mane 6 more than Spike. Because I'm pretty sure most people tune into the show to see the Mane 6, but that's only what I think.

That is such a sad story by the way. And I kinda understand how it feels, but in a separate situation. It really hurts, because you may have liked that person very much, or even loved. And losing friendship isn't a easy thing to deal with so you can't help but to feel depressed about it. Friendship doesn't feel good to lose is what I'm trying to say. But perhaps coming here has helped you get over losing it? I sure feel alot better about myself, after being here for only 1 week. Though I still don't have many friends here yet xD

• Brohoof 1

I can see where you are coming from about that. I have mixed feelings about that, but I also believe that the people working on MLP were trying to focus on the Mane 6 more than Spike. Because I'm pretty sure most people tune into the show to see the Mane 6, but that's only what I think.

That is such a sad story by the way. And I kinda understand how it feels, but in a separate situation. It really hurts, because you may have liked that person very much, or even loved. And losing friendship isn't a easy thing to deal with so you can't help but to feel depressed about it. Friendship doesn't feel good to lose is what I'm trying to say. But perhaps coming here has helped you get over losing it? I sure feel alot better about myself, after being here for only 1 week. Though I still don't have many friends here yet xD

It's easy to get upset over a character not being treated "right", especially characters of a show where the characters and relationships mean everything. It was necessary to focus more on the Mane 6 than Spike, however, seeing as how they are the main characters (Spike is one too, but not as "important" as the rest of the Mane 6). If you ask me, they did a nice job implementing Spike into the show a lot better because the Mane 6 gave him newfound appreciation (as told in Dragon Quest, for instance). It was pretty much win-win. The only time where I actually objected to this was in "Best Night Ever", but it did set everypony straight after that whole gala ordeal.

I actually like-liked that girl. She was my "first love" as you say, but again, the lack of understanding proved to be too much to overcome. It was really because we were young, and didn't know what our feelings were doing. I can't say it was good, but it's made me much more aware of these things than the average mind. :)

Spike never gets the respect he deserves. End of story. He is a great character, but they don't treat him as well as they should.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's easy to get upset over a character not being treated "right", especially characters of a show where the characters and relationships mean everything. It was necessary to focus more on the Mane 6 than Spike, however, seeing as how they are the main characters (Spike is one too, but not as "important" as the rest of the Mane 6). If you ask me, they did a nice job implementing Spike into the show a lot better because the Mane 6 gave him newfound appreciation (as told in Dragon Quest, for instance). It was pretty much win-win. The only time where I actually objected to this was in "Best Night Ever", but it did set everypony straight after that whole gala ordeal.

I actually like-liked that girl. She was my "first love" as you say, but again, the lack of understanding proved to be too much to overcome. It was really because we were young, and didn't know what our feelings were doing. I can't say it was good, but it's made me much more aware of these things than the average mind. :)

Dragon Quest is one of my favorite episodes too, and this is because it seemed like Spike had his very own episode where it felt like he was the main character for once, which I liked. And he wasn't just alone in this episode, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight were there in case he needed help, which made me felt really happy how considerate they were for him. And everyone loves to see progress.

Ah first love, its always tough losing that. When I lost my first love, I was devastated enough to actually fail that year in highschool and had to do that grade all over again. Sometimes love is harsh, but when you find a love that is permanent and is forever lasting, its all worth it :)

This discussion was nice. But I have to go now :(

Edited by hᴀrᴍoɴy
  • Brohoof 1

Like I mentioned before in a previous post. Spike is far from getting treated like crap, the ponies care about him and they have shown that in previous episodes.

However, he is not that good in terms of respect. One of the things that makes me feel a little bit sorry for Spike is the fact he doesn't have friends of his own, he doesn't belong to the mane 6 nor the CMC. The picture at the end of Dragon Quest in which he has to paste himself basically shows how badly Spike wants to have friends and feel included. I can easily picture him being lonely doing chores at the library while the mane 6 have fun and go to adventures. The mane 6 likes him thats for sure but he is not part of the group, he never did and he never will.

(edited)

I think Spike is undervalued and for a baby he is a genius but he is STILL a baby he needs looking after and his emotions are still very immature(i.e. owlicious ep. and when he gets taken over by greed) I also find his feeling for rarity rather underdeveloped I mean he took one look at her "glamorous" beauty in episode 1 and gets googoo eyed. I'm not saying his feeling aren't real now after 2 seasons but how it starts off is rather.. sad. Sure Rarity doesn't want to be a cougar. Do you really want to date a 3 year old? no matter how smart he is. He like most mature genius children is under estimated and yet held to a higher standard. It's not fair, but I feel that the groups reactions are an accurate representation of the normal human response. Nobody like being told off by someone who isn't even in the double digits.

He also can't make friends his own age cause they think he's pretentious, so his options are slim. I believe twilight and the gang care for him they just have trouble placing him in a category. So he gets treated with less respect than he merits but when he grows up he's gonna blow them all away. He's smart and sociable, once he gains experience everyone but twilight will welcome him with open arms. Twilight will always be his mom and will always treat him as a kid.

Edited by WhentheAngelsCry

Dragon Quest is one of my favorite episodes too, and this is because it seemed like Spike had his very own episode where it felt like he was the main character for once, which I liked. And he wasn't just alone in this episode, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight were there in case he needed help, which made me felt really happy how considerate they were for him. And everyone loves to see progress.

Yeah, Dragon Quest strayed a bit away from the "individual character development" concept at the end of that episode, but it worked out great. What you got in the end was not only Spike developing that much more as a being (not just as a dragon), but also his relationships with each of the Mane 6 grew stronger (even the ones that didn't join him on his quest) as a result. Now he doesn't have to feel left out (provided that he was) in future scenarios knowing full well that the Mane 6 don't ignore him all the time nor do they do so intentionally.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, Dragon Quest strayed a bit away from the "individual character development" concept at the end of that episode, but it worked out great. What you got in the end was not only Spike developing that much more as a being (not just as a dragon), but also his relationships with each of the Mane 6 grew stronger (even the ones that didn't join him on his quest) as a result. Now he doesn't have to feel left out (provided that he was) in future scenarios knowing full well that the Mane 6 don't ignore him all the time nor do they do so intentionally.

Right which I think was the reason why he went to the dragons in the first place, because he took rainbow dashes comments to the heart and it made me feel like he felt left out because he is different from everyone else. (I would think) That's the reason the creators made him storm off. But since the ponies had his back, they kinda got closer to him. So yes I completely agree with what you said. Do you think things would have been different if Spike was a pony and more like the others?

It could also just be that he is "that guy" in the group.

• 7 months later...

Spike definitely doesn't get enough respect. He kinda is a slave in a way as Twilight caused the egg that held him to hatch, and ever since then he's been her "Assistant." He gets injured, ridiculed, and disrespected  the ponies. Does he even get paid?

I don't know how he's being mistreated. What about Celestia, Shining Armor, Applebloom, Granny Smith, or Big Mac? Why don't they ever invite those ponies to their picnics/parties? Maybe it's because they're
parties/picnics for ponies of their gender and age. I mean have you ever thought of inviting your parents, teachers or younger siblings to similar outings? It's a clear sign that Spike is in fact much younger than the six mane.

And when Spike is always preparing the food and everything, he's doing this all on his own accord. The fact that he prides himself over being a cook is evident enough. Also race/species should be taken into consideration. The odd animals like Spike and Zecora seems to prefer to stay away from the other ponies most of the time. I mean why doesn't Zecora live in Ponyville instead of the Evergreen Forest after she has been accepted? It's their preference.

Edited by poniesforfun