Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When did you stop believing in Santa?

Spikey-Wikey

I think I was in my teens. Thing is, I don't think my parents wanted me to know. Probably because with my special needs, they weren't sure how I would actually take him not being real. It did take some time for me to accept it, but as I got older... I realized the truth of him not being real was actually fact. I started thinking of the logic and all that. However, I do like to still play around pretending he's real like the little kid inside me does, especially around the young ones. :P

• Brohoof 1

I stopped believing when I was 8. Found out myself, nobody told me or anything. Also, how can telling children he's fake "ruin the magic"? If lies and deception were magic, then what do we have friendship for? I'm sure if the lazy people in this world got up and found something real to get their kids excited about, they'd be much happier. 

Santa in a nutshell: Creepy old dude who comes into your house, eats your food, and leaves you presents.

Santa story in a nutshell: A magical man wants to make you happy, but you can never see him! EVER! Otherwise he'll hate you forever!

• Brohoof 1

I was about the age of 11/12  when I "found out" though after being told I took it strangely well,  :blink: I just excepted it, though that was quite surprising for me considering such a big believer I was... though sadly after this the "magic" started to fade after a while and it seemed less enjoyable, though I enjoy my time with family so I am quite happy!

Edited by Everleaf

Both of them -_- .

Anyways, I probably believed for the longest since I received a letter "from Santa" when I was 8, which looked legit, so I had used that as my defense as to why Santa was real... Until a friend later on told me that post offices sometimes write back fake letters to people who write to Santa (I wonder how many they get a year!).

But I never believed that Santa was ever in any shopping malls.

Edited by JingleWolf
  • Brohoof 1

I was gonna say ​wait Santa isn't real thinking it would be unique and funny then chikorita happened  :( any way i don't remember ever believed in him but the Easter Bunny is still totally real right?

• Brohoof 1

Didn't really think about it much until I was about 7. Until that point I just accepted it, and then one day when I had too much time on my hands I just randomly thought how absurd the notion of Santa Claus was, but kept quiet about it for a couple more years. When I was 9 I told my parents that I didn't believe in Santa anymore, they asked why, I explained, and they told me that I had the right of it. ^^;

In about 4th or 5th grade, I guess I just got curious and used the Internet to find out the truth. My mom still thought I believed in santa until this year though. :lol:

I find this amusing because I couldn't have just turned to the internet for answers. Interesting how things change. xD

• Brohoof 2

I can't remember and exact age but it was far to young, and my brother and my mom where talking and they accidentally slipped up and said something about him not being real. I was upset yeah denied it but believed them the next day.

I was 12 years old. My mom and dad leveled with me. That Santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy. None of it was real. It was thanks to that moment I'm now the cynical nihilism bastard I am today. I want to believe again. But all that moment did was show me a cold, rigid, predictable world

Maybe that's why I like MLP. I'm trying to reclaim the power to believe in fantasy and wonder once again. That there's more to this world, this universe, this life then what humanity likes to define as this and that. 

• Brohoof 2

• 11 months later...

I still kind of believe, but I also kind of don't. One side is ''Santa is why life can be happy and jolly'' while the other side is ''No being can possibly go to billions of houses and deliver presents for them all in one night. Reindeer cannot fly at if their legs are (assumingly) moving at normal speed, and if they were being fast enough to fly then it's impossible for the reindeer to stay airborne when they're trying to carry a heavy man on a heavy sleight behind them.'' A history lesson in my 7th period class made me believe even less. He says that Santa was just a drawing by an old artist, and then that drawing became popular and then Cocoa Cola modified Santa into the Santa that we know and love today. Though even with all this evidence that Santa doesn't exist, I still feel plenty of belief in there, because I don't want to stop believing.

I think I was 10 or 11, I never believed in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny though. One of my parents planed on me not believing in Santa, but the other decided I should. I don't plan on my kids believing in Santa, but I'll probably leave it up to my spouse so there will be less arguing, but if I have a say, they probably won't believe. The reason why is because I honestly don't see appeal. Of course my children may end up "ruining" it for other kids, but I honestly feel more guilt in having to constantly tell them a blatant lie, than if any of my kids tells the truth. And I'd especially feel guilty about when my kids learn that I've been telling them a lie this whole time. Although it's also possible that I may not have kids since we're talking about at least 10 years into the future, more likely 15 years.

I think I was around... 9? Maybe? I don't really remember. What I do know is that my parents never told me. I figured it out on my own.

Edited by RedFireDrgn

I stopped believing in him around when I was 11. I kind of forced myself to think I believed him when I was 12, but by the time I was 13 I realized that I didn't believe in him.

Although, I do act like I believe in him just so I make sure to get Christmas presents  :lol:

I think I stopped believing in Santa was I was eleven, however I'd sort of cottoned on earlier that maybe Santa wasn't getting everyone all of the presents by himself. It didn't help that I realised that he wasn't getting any underprivileged children gifts :(. My parents told me that they provided the money, Santa just delivered the gifts; trying too hard to ensure I still believed in Santa for as long as possible, clearly. I knew that was not true, but I just left it and considered it a substantial excuse until everyone finally admitted the truth. :P