Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When did you stop believing in Santa?

Spikey-Wikey

I think I was around 12 or 13 when I stopped believing in Santa. I remember my parents came into my room and told me that Santa isn't real. I was disappointed at first but I understood and was okay about it afterwords. 

WHAT!?! HE ISN'T REAL!?! :(

Seriously though, I honestly can't remember, but it was probably at a younger-than-average age. I had two older sisters who no longer believed, and I just went along with them.

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 1

I stopped believing in Santa at 12 because I almost got bullied for still believing. Basically my peers gave it away to me.

I don't even have a chimney so it never made sense anyway.

Edited by RainbowPastel

Probably around late elementary school. I stopped mainly because it just doesn't make any sense  ^_^  Not the fact that some jolly old fat due climbs down my chimney, but the fact that I get presents from all my family members, but WHERE ARE MY PRESENTS FROM MY OWN PARENTS?? I guess they did do that thing where they were like, "Oh, this one is from us," but still, my curious mind couldn't make sense of it. That, and after I started to stop believing I heard my parents wrapping presents on Christmas Eve one night  :lol:

I think I was eight or something.  I was kind of doubtful to his existence by then, so I stayed up until after what I assumed to be Midnight on Christmas Eve, saw no one come down the chimney, thought to myself, "I guess he isn't real, then", and promptly went to sleep.

I never did. My parents tried the whole Santa thing but I just knew he wasn't real. My sister believed in him though.

I don't really see why people do tell kids he's real. I just don't see the point in lying and teaching kids it's okay to believe in something just because people tell you it's real.

I wouldn't outright tell a kid Santa wasn't real but if I had my own kids I don't know if I would play along.

Edited by Conspiracy.
  • Brohoof 1

I was up late one night after having a nightmare when I was young, and I noticed my mum wasn't in the bed next to me like she usually was (she'd gone to midnight mass, like she always does when we go up to my cousin's place for Christmas). I started panicking and felt incredibly lonely so I ventured downstairs in the hopes of finding mum, but alas no mother was found.

However, as I sat at the bottom of the stairs, looking at the room in which the presents would be the next day (Santa even left a note on the door telling me to wait til the morning before going in there, how nice!), my uncle walked out of the room and I opened my mouth in shock as I saw all the adults of the family gathered round wrapping presents and eating mince pies.

Way to get a childhood destroyed, I tell ya.

I never did. My parents tried the whole Santa thing but I just knew he wasn't real. My sister believed in him though.

I don't really see why people do tell kids he's real. I just don't see the point in lying and teaching kids it's okay to believe in something just because people tell you it's real.

I wouldn't outright tell a kid Santa wasn't real but if I had my own kids I don't know if I would play along.

Well if it's okay to believe in something because people tell you it's real, then I guess it's fine to go to this van.

seems-legit-candy-van-seems-legit-kidnap

For the most part, it's because society says we have to. Funny video about it if you don't mind swearing.

• Brohoof 2

I was younger than 10, I think. I may have been exactly 10. My parents called me to their room one day and told me. I wasn't particularly devastated with the news. I think my reaction was something like "I didn't think it was possible for deer to fly and a man to crawl through the chimney we don't have anyway." I had been suspecting that Santa wasn't exactly what everyone said he was, so it wasn't so much of a surprise to me.

I didn't so much believe he wasn't real, because I saw pictures of him and his reindeer in books, and I knew that he always delivered presents to me. So, to me, it was more of a matter of figuring out how it was real. I never understood how he visited so many houses (and at one point, I tried to guesstimate and calculate how quick he needed to be at each one). I never understood how one bag could hold so many things. I never understood how he could get in the house. I knew magic wasn't real, so I never understood how the reindeer could fly. When my parents told me, everything made sense.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

Can't remember the age, but I saw my brother and mum wrapping presents in the living room. Upon looking in my bag of Santa's presents at the end of my bed the next morning, I noticed the wrapping paper was the same as the presents I saw being wrapped the night before...

In all fairness as a realist, if I ever have kids, I will tell them that their parents got them their presents. Having them believe in the Tooth Fairy would be acceptable, as I don't want them to knock their teeth out. Santa though... no way.

I remember being told Santa wasn't real, and just being stumped by it. At first I thought it was a test my mom was playing on me; like, who ever stopped believing in Santa first would get nothing for Christmas. So I continued to believe for awhile, even using those fake "Santa is flying over this state!" news broadcasts to back my theory Santa was out there...because news stations would NEVER lie!

Of course, I know different now.

I just remember being so conflicted after hearing Santa wasn't real.

I like to see it as he no longer comes to my house being the youngest in the household (21) that Santa is too busy to visit me or my family, so he is out there for all the small boys and girls. I guess even now I still believe he is out there spreading joy to the kids of the world.

• Brohoof 1

NORAD tracks Santa Claus on its radar. I'm serious, every December they set up a hotline and... What you're laughing at?! He's real I tell ya! He...used to bring me presents and...

• Brohoof 2

****Disclaimer: Long Boring story ahead guys, sorry****

Well when I was a wee little boy, our family had money problems and couldn't afford a tree. So, every night my mother would hide two presents - one for me and one for my sister- in where spot she thought was well secluded. And every morning my sister and I would scavenge the house (mostly the closet) for said presents. (See, we were children and at that time, probably not the best at finding stuff)

...and whenever I failed to find mine, I would weep until my sister found it for me, because my mom joked about how I was on the naughty list.

Thanks mom! ;)

Things were the same after we got a small set-up tree (about 5'4"), "Santa" would place gifts under the tree, despite the fact that I ALWAYS forget to leave some milk and cookies. Sorry santa =)

Up and until I was in the 5th or 6th grade, I stopped asking for action figures and asked for PC games (yes I wrote him letters and hung them on the fridge). Long story short, didn't get my game, friends told me there was no Santa, Mom finally told me she did all that....yeah, childhood ruined.

But I wasn't heartbroken like other kids, to me it was just...Oh well.. :/

Forget Santa, I still have steam and Torrent.

...and from that day, I just look forward to getting clothes and cards from relatives :(

What you're laughing at?! He's real I tell ya! He...used to bring me presents and...

It's all right buddy...wait, what do you mean "used to"?  :fluttershy:  

Edited by RyaN_