Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship is Magic #26

PoisonClaw

post-969-0-57266500-1419617310_thumb.jpg

No one's made a thread for this yet, so I thought I might as well.

So, we have the second part of the Cattle Rustlers arc. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about these issues, mostly on the subject of Twilight being unwilling to use her magic to fight the rustlers.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this? For starters, it's the same reason why the show writers are so afraid to have Princess Celestia show up for any reason: because she would no doubt fix everything in two seconds flat and kill any sense of drama. Not to mention if Twilight had used her magic from the get-go. this "arc" would have been less than 12 pages long.

Though I will admit they stretched this arc to fit two issues. This could have just as easily fit into a single issue.  

• Brohoof 1

attachicon.giflatest.jpg

No one's made a thread for this yet, so I thought I might as well.

So, we have the second part of the Cattle Rustlers arc. I've been hearing a lot of negative things about these issues, mostly on the subject of Twilight being unwilling to use her magic to fight the rustlers.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this? For starters, it's the same reason why the show writers are so afraid to have Princess Celestia show up for any reason: because she would no doubt fix everything in two seconds flat and kill any sense of drama. Not to mention if Twilight had used her magic from the get-go. this "arc" would have been less than 12 pages long.

Though I will admit they stretched this arc to fit two issues. This could have just as easily fit into a single issue.  

There were a lot of things wrong with this

- In the case of "Twilight would've fixed it easily" It makes Twilight's inclusion really pointless

- It's wasn't Twilight's story, it was AJ, but so much bullshit revolving Twilight in the story and everyone forgets(including the writer) that the story was supposed to be about AJ(who didn't really do much), which is a real shame too considering Katie Cook seems to really like AJ

- Throughout the entire story Twilight makes it a big deal that she doesn't want to use magic against the bulls...until the end of the end of the story where she uses magic when they "deface a historic monument"...apparently that's a bigger deal than theft, arson and assaulting your best friend...

- So much hypocrisy on Twilight's part, she says that tearing up legal documents is a crime...yet the mane 6 attempts fraud, kidnapping, trespassing, deception, and the like to trick the bulls.....

On that tangent, whatever happened to AJ's missing relative that went missing they mentioned in the first part?

This was easily one of the worst comics of not only the mane series, but the entire comic run

• Brohoof 4

There were a lot of things wrong with this

- In the case of "Twilight would've fixed it easily" It makes Twilight's inclusion really pointless

- It's wasn't Twilight's story, it was AJ, but so much bullshit revolving Twilight in the story and everyone forgets(including the writer) that the story was supposed to be about AJ(who didn't really do much), which is a real shame too considering Katie Cook seems to really like AJ

- Throughout the entire story Twilight makes it a big deal that she doesn't want to use magic against the bulls...until the end of the end of the story where she uses magic when they "deface a historic monument"...apparently that's a bigger deal than theft, arson and assaulting your best friend...

- So much hypocrisy on Twilight's part, she says that tearing up legal documents is a crime...yet the mane 6 attempts fraud, kidnapping, trespassing, deception, and the like to trick the bulls.....

On that tangent, whatever happened to AJ's missing relative that went missing they mentioned in the first part?

This was easily one of the worst comics of not only the mane series, but the entire comic run

What most fans probably wish was IDW's reaction to Katie Cook right now:

Edited by A.V.

• 4 weeks later...

I just now got around to reading this. Pretty disappointing.

Bunch of people already mentioned how dumb Twilight was acting. Her excuse seemed fine at first, until the cows starting stealing shit and assaulting people. What I also thought was weird was that Applejack's plan to get the ranch back relied on straight up dishonesty and deception, which seems out of character for someone who is suppose to embody honesty. 

I also couldn't really accept that the ponies couldn't take the rustlers in a straight fight. They've battled all kinds of shit, those cows don't seem any more threatening than the changeling horde that they fought.

Honestly, I thought the issue was fine. It has some problems in that the plan seemed overly complicated, but I don't expect perfection. In any case...

1. The Fluttershy in a male-mare uniform was priceless.

2. I found Twilight's reasoning perfectly acceptable, and I liked her she was picky about notarized papers, considering I'm a notary

3. Pinkie's ghost story face was epic

4. Longhorn is still a good villain; IMO.

5. My main negative was that the first few or so pages felt somewhat scattered. Like the OP, this could've been better served as a one issue story.

In any case, I rate the arc overall a solid 7/10.

• 2 years later...

I liked Longhorn and his hang, but overall, this is a bit of a hit and miss. While the comic writers can write well each of the Mane6, they should refrain of bringing the whole group if some of them won't contribute to the plot. Plus Twi's poor excuse of not using magic, those are the biggest miSTEAKs